Little Brutus.....

Raymond Richard

Forum Owner & Moderator
Here's one I just finished up. Little Brutus is actually quite large, 12" forge finished 5160 blade, wrought iron fittings with an elk stag handle. 17 1/2" overall.

IMG_1989.JPG

IMG_1990.JPG

IMG_1991.JPG

IMG_1992.JPG

That is AWESOME........................... BEAUTIFUL..................WOW
Great job...How much would that sell for?
britt

That is a beautiful knife. Can't wait to see what John will do for you. His sheaths are always so cool.

Pat

:eek:Amazing Forging work Ray!!

Me, as a Hammer head can't wait to get 10% that neat:D

That is AWESOME........................... BEAUTIFUL..................WOW
Great job...How much would that sell for?
britt

You know what they say, "if you have to ask, you can't afford it".
Say Ray, how much is that thing:D?
All kidding aside, it looks fantastic Ray, and I look forward to getting my hands on it. Also, thanks for the plug2thumbs

Another great looking Blade Ray 2thumbs

I sure do love the work you do !

If you don't mind me asking, what process did you use to get that "look" on the Elk Antler ?

I recently acquired a couple of antlers and don't quite know how to handle them ( Ha ! Get it ? Handle them ?? :D :rolleyes: ) ;)

cool 1

Another great looking Blade Ray 2thumbs

I sure do love the work you do !

If you don't mind me asking, what process did you use to get that "look" on the Elk Antler ?

I recently acquired a couple of antlers and don't quite know how to handle them ( Ha ! Get it ? Handle them ?? :D :rolleyes: ) ;)

cool 1

David, The process I have been using is a secret but its time for me to give it up. I think part of the color on this antler could have possibly been caused by a coating of brown latex paint that was used on the whole antler after it was first found because it was all sun bleached. Before I did my treatment I removed all the bark and had it pretty much finish sanded. The next thing I did was coat it with dark brown leather dye and then I let it soak over night in my secret solution. The secret solution is a mix of boiled linseed oil and turpentine, approx 50/50. There is also a little leather dye in it to. No vacuuming. Just a soak at room temp but it will work better if warmed up. All the stag I have used over the past 3 years was treated this way. Sometimes it works just the way I want it to and then other times it comes out totally different than I expected but it always looks good to me. It does take several days to cure.

Thanks so much for giving that one up Ray :bud: 2thumbs

Very, very much appreciated !!

FWIW, I've become a much better maker, especially when it comes to the forged blade, because of the help & tips you've given me the past few years.

Thanks again ol' buddy ;)

cool 1

Back