Knife Pool

I'm trying to figure out a brilliant way to do the final grind on the 2 WIP's I've got that I have finished HT on. If I figure that out I may be more interested in entering.

the only rule i would like to see is you have to make the knife yourself from steel stock, no getting a finished blade from a 'friend' and putting a handle on it. would enjoy being part of the show, may help shake the blues.
I agree Scott and that will be part of the guidelines. Scott the offer to meet up and have coffee and talk knives is still open.

Question for you guys that are going to participate. What about the sheaths - leather only or is kydex allowed? I'd like to keep it leather but majority rules.

I agree Scott and that will be part of the guidelines. Scott the offer to meet up and have coffee and talk knives is still open.

Question for you guys that are going to participate. What about the sheaths - leather only or is kydex allowed? I'd like to keep it leather but majority rules.

I'd say leave it open. The more restrictions you put on it, the less participants we'll have. Leather, Kydex or even a zippered case would be my suggestion.

I plan on doing a folder and they don't generally come with sheaths. Usually a zippered case.

I think for a kitchen knife an exception should be the rule for the sheath...Don't really need it... I may be biased 'cause i kind of want a Scott Livesey kitchen knife...lol. He did more for shaping my knife philosophy a few years back then he would realize....

I'm excited by this as I am finally far enough along on the "business project" to make a complete knife...lol!

Yes...Maker's choice.

My wish list...Von Gruff for field knife....Scott L....for kitchen....John W....anything....

Lol....to be honest any knife by any level maker is fine by me....if you get a knife by a brand new maker...and then he becomes famous...guess which knives become super collectable....AND I can say..."I knew him when...." LOL

Yes I think an exception should be made for kitchen knives and folders. Don't really know if a sheath is a must for either but a saya for a kitchen knife and maybe a pocket slip for a folder? But again don't know if either is needed. Makers choice. I'm getting excited about this! Having trouble getting the tracking right on my grinder but as soon as it's up I'm going to get some major practice in and hopefully make something decent for the KITH!

I agree with maker’s choice. I’m fine with no sheath on any knife. There may be a new maker who hasn’t gotten in to making sheaths yet. I know I made quite a few knives before I got to doing leather.

My biggest excitement in doing this is the critiquing of each other’s knives. Getting pointers from the eyes of another maker that will help me get better and being able to do the same for someone else.

Hey, that last kith was the only way I could've ever afforded a genuine Morland knife! I still have it right there by my bench for inspiration! I'd probably be game for another one.
That's funny, I was thinking the same thing about a Self Made knife! I display the one I won in the last KITH in a place of honor.

As far as sheaths go, I'll be making a folder and would provide a zippered case with it. I'm good on any kind of sheath for other types of knives.

I agree with maker’s choice. I’m fine with no sheath on any knife. There may be a new maker who hasn’t gotten in to making sheaths yet. I know I made quite a few knives before I got to doing leather.

My biggest excitement in doing this is the critiquing of each other’s knives. Getting pointers from the eyes of another maker that will help me get better and being able to do the same for someone else.

Maybe only require what each maker is comfortable with? If a guy has never made a sheath or a bone handle, etc...this wouldn't be the time to require "firsts" ? Let each maker work from his strength...and make the very best he has to offer? This'll get more new makers involved...and should a newer person get a fine blade from a more experienced maker, what better instructional device than a knife they can pore over? (this is what I'm hearing Gene say...I think...lol)

Maybe only require what each maker is comfortable with? If a guy has never made a sheath or a bone handle, etc...this wouldn't be the time to require "firsts" ? Let each maker work from his strength...and make the very best he has to offer? This'll get more new makers involved...and should a newer person get a fine blade from a more experienced maker, what better instructional device than a knife they can pore over? (this is what I'm hearing Gene say...I think...lol)

That is exactly why I am excited about the knife pool. The only handmade knives I own I built. I am so looking forward to having an example to study and emulate. My hope is that whomever receives (gets rooked with) my knife will contact me and give advice and feedback on my work. I am not sure what I am going to make yet but it will be the best one of those I have made.

Some very interesting comments and ideas being explored in this thread. I just got order for a fishermans knife so there was a couple of hours this morning working through some design paremeters and getting a pattern sorted.

Back