Knife Pool

opaul

Is there any interest in a random knife trade? Something like - set minimum criteria for a knife, time frame and the the knife makes that opt in, do a random drawing to exchange knives?

opaul - Knife Dogs has done several knife in the hat (KITH) trades. The last one was a couple years ago at Christmas time. I think Darrin Sanders was the boss man on that go round. If you wanted to spearhead another one, I would be interested. These are a sampling and there are many more if you use the search function.

Look here: https://knifedogs.com/threads/christmas-kith.41959/

And here for pictures: https://knifedogs.com/threads/christmas-kith-questions-pics-updates.41960/

And here discussed: https://knifedogs.com/threads/kith-idea.41932/

More pictures: https://knifedogs.com/threads/official-kith-knife-photo-thread.10305/

If we're going to do one for Christmas we probably need to get the ball rolling pretty soon. It's about time for Christmas orders to start rolling in.

The theme idea is cool, although I really like the idea of each maker doing something along the line of their signature style and a theme might squash that a bit. Part of the fun for me was getting something totally random from another maker, with no expectations. I felt like a kid at Christmas.

Thoughts?

If we're going to do one for Christmas we probably need to get the ball rolling pretty soon. It's about time for Christmas orders to start rolling in.

The theme idea is cool, although I really like the idea of each maker doing something along the line of their signature style and a theme might squash that a bit. Part of the fun for me was getting something totally random from another maker, with no expectations. I felt like a kid at Christmas.

Thoughts?
Theme's fine by me...as long as it's small edc...lol. I've only been working on one design...and can only put effort there this year.

I like the random idea...

Ok looks like we have some interest!

Let’s do some level setting. Please add to or comment below.

I think the guidelines would allow lots of flexibility.
1. OAL not to exceed 8” or less than 6”
2. Stock removal or forged
3. Thickness no greater than 3/16”
4. Wood or micarta handle
5. Carbon or stainless
6. Full tang or hidden tang
7. ????

Here are the rules from the last Christmas KITH. If it helps with some direction??

RULES:

1. You must have your entry ready to ship by 12/01/2015. You should also post some pics of the entry in the other thread on or before this date.
2. Materials are totally up to the maker. Just be sure that you use quality materials. Quality doesn't mean Damascus and Ivory. 1084 & Micarta will be fine as long as your fit and finish are taken to the best of your ability. Again, when designing your knife and choosing materials, ask yourself if you would be happy with your entry if you received it.
3. Any style/type is fine. Fixed blades, folders, miniatures, kitchen knives, etc. are all fine.
4. All entries must include a quality sheath, Saya, or padded case. Again, quality doesn't mean fancy, just made to the best of your ability.
5. I'm not going to allow kit blades. As much work as possible should be done by the maker. Sending out for H/T, coatings, etc. is fine but please remember that this KITH is for makers so try to do as much as possible in your shop.
6. Someone brought up a good point about foreign entries and customs hassles so I'm going to limit this KITH to members in the USA only. I apologize to any foreign members that were interested in entering. I don't want to put any limits on what can be made and would hate to see someone be the recipient of a knife that would be illegal to receive due to customs regulations.

Thanks Dennis I'll also check out the previous links you provided.

I'd like to get everyone that is interested on a list by the end of July. That gives us full months to get one ready.

I'll tidy up the guidelines, etc and have them ready in a day or so. This could be lots of fun!

I really like this idea. I think requiring a style or features could limit the number of participants if they haven't done those yet. It could also push someone to learn something new!

Count me in either way.

I agree with Gene. Let people just do what they do. I participated in the last KITH and the funnest part of the experience for me was watching what everyone else was making. There were no limitations on what could be entered. There were folders, kitchen knives, big knives, short knives, knives made by experts, knives made by beginners, etc. There was no complaining from anyone about the knife that they received, even when an experienced maker received a knife made by someone with little experience. The whole point of the exchange is to have fun and build relationships. I say we keep it simple and keep if fun.

I would add one possible rule though. Everyone must post WIP pics. Lots and lots of pics!!!

Ok looks like we have some interest!

Let’s do some level setting. Please add to or comment below.

I think the guidelines would allow lots of flexibility.
1. OAL not to exceed 8” or less than 6”
2. Stock removal or forged
3. Thickness no greater than 3/16”
4. Wood or micarta handle
5. Carbon or stainless
6. Full tang or hidden tang
7. ????

I like this criteria. Nothing really exotic so that some of the newer makers (like me) could participate in.

I'll admit that putting one of my knives in the hands of another maker that will certainly look it over with an experienced eye, gives me some queasiness in my gut.

But I'd be interested in getting in. As long the requirements are fairly loose as I'm a bit of a one trick pony.

I like Dennis Morland's rules for the KITH from a few years ago. They seem like they'd be inclusive to most makers here.

I'll admit that putting one of my knives in the hands of another maker that will certainly look it over with an experienced eye, gives me some queasiness in my gut.
Perhaps any critiques of an "improvement nature" should be private? Then a newer maker receives hands on advise without feeling like mom hung his sheets outside the window...LOL!

Any appreciative comments could be public? Just don't want to see brand new guys afraid to participate...

Also...do we know who gets our knife in advance of finishing it if we want to add a personal touch/color/sheath style?

I'm perfectly fine people critiquing my knife publicly. Part of learning. I would love to participate but let me see if I can make anything decent. Don't want to give someone a piece of junk they can't use. Lol.

Hey guys. Sorry for no updates. All the comments are really spot on with what i’m thinking.
I’ll come up with a ‘near’ final list and general rules by Sunday afternoon. Then after you all look it over and incorporate any changes we should be good to go.

Back