Knife Making and being Disabled

Rhino, I got a collection of canes. When I am out and about I usually walk with a cane. It seems to help with my balance and it helps me to not get overtired. The best one is the one my son brought home off a trip he took. It is a bent bamboo and has a "Caution Sign" on it slow walker ahead, a rear view mirror and a squeeze bulb horn. I didn't know whether to kiss him or kick him when he handed to me! It is funny though!:biggrin:

Teddy, don't have a tutorial for a cane sword. It would have to be thin and limber, in other words temper and HT would have to be right. Don't even have a clue what steel would best for that. Might want check in with the sword guys.

Also FYI in some states a sword cane will get you in real trouble, and definitely don't carry to airport or any building with security!

Teddy

Also FYI in some states a sword cane will get you in real trouble, and definitely don't carry to airport or any building with security!

Teddy,
There are no exclusions for sword canes like if you have had a stroke etc or only have one hand or use of one hand you can own and carry a auto knife in all 50 states.

A sword cane I think is a federal beef? Be careful!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Knifemaking does distract from chronic pain and keeps you moving and doing something useful. It seems like if you don't keep pushing, you lose the ability to keep moving on. I've had M.S. for 36 years and if I don't use it, I lose it. Knifemaking keeps me going physically and mentally. Most all of my work is done sitting down. I will make knives as long as I can move. My hat's off to everyone with disabilities.

Steve, you're absolutely correct. In my case, I was told that in 2005, I'd be in a wheelchair permanently by 2010. Heh. Take that doc, Ima still walking. Need my cane most days, but You ain't got my in a chair yet.

And my mom hooked me up with a really nice Irish Blackthorn cane/Shillealegh for Yule, and it totally rocks. Not a sword cane, but it's an excellent beating stick, should it come to that.

Rhino, I got a collection of canes. When I am out and about I usually walk with a cane. It seems to help with my balance and it helps me to not get overtired. The best one is the one my son brought home off a trip he took. It is a bent bamboo and has a "Caution Sign" on it slow walker ahead, a rear view mirror and a squeeze bulb horn. I didn't know whether to kiss him or kick him when he handed to me! It is funny though!:biggrin:

C. Craft,
I think that I would have given him both the Kick & Kiss for that help of A insult.
The truth does hurt!! :biggrin:

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Talked to a local cop today. A ccw does not cover knives or swords, i.e. sword canes are illegal. The cop also told me that unless I do something REALLY STUPID like be the aggressor, no one will notice.

I'm going to build one.(someday) ...Teddy

I lost my right leg in a work accident back in '81. The years of hobbling around on one leg have also cost me my left knee which is also now artificial, and tremendous back pain. Although I worked at a desk all of these years doing design work, the fact that I can no longer spend the time out on the production line following my designs through production has cost me my job. I cant find work anywhere because of my limitations. But I love making knives. I work in my garage making knives. I have few tools, but high expectations. Most of the stuff I use to make knives I have built from scratch. I have done the best I can with the resources I have and I will continue to do so for as long as the good lord will let me. I started making knives a couple of years ago and I feel as though my efforts have gotten better with each knife I make.
Back in the 80's I used to hate it when people felt sorry for me. Now I realize its just a natural reaction.
I have pain and mobility issues, but I love to make knives, and that helps me push on.

Geez Eric. Add you to the list of "Man." You guys are killing me here. I'm too new to share things of that/this private of a nature but I will tell you fellas that you are quite an inspiration to myself. Incredible how I found my way here, to find out about Steve's pocket clips....and here I am getting schooled on life.

Anyone can have a nice life and persevere {sp?} when they have their health, it's when you lose some semblance of what you once were and keep kicking/pushing down those doors. You men are incredible and I'm not kissing any butt either. I really needed to hear these stories guys. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. :)

I have more scar tissue than skin anymore. I have to walk with forearm crutches and lost the use of my right leg from mid calf down. I have to wear a brace built into my shoe. I just had my sons lower the bench that holds all my grinders. They also lowered the one for my bead blast cabinet. I'm 71 years old and am not ready to just sit around. I'm heading to the shop as soon as I finish this cup of coffee. There sure are a lot of us makers banged up.

Incredible Tom. I don't know what else to say other than my Pa is 72...lol...I can't see my Dad making knives anytime soon. :biggrin:

I too am one of those banged up knife makers (Trying to be, LOL) Over 10 years ago I had a Heart Attack @ 49 years old. The Doctors were putting stints in, when they screwed up and ripped up the right side of my Heart! I had to have emergency Heart surgery and wasn't expected to live! Heart failed several time and was on bypass longer than anyone should have been (Over 6 hours) I was in a coma for seven days. Upon coming out of the coma I was suffering from all kinds of disabilities. The main thing was I was unable to walk but, only 5 feet and had no memory. It took over two years to even kind of recover. I was disabled, for many reason because of my health. I tried to do many things to entertain myself, but nothing sparked my interest ! I have also done many stints in the hospital for other heart problems. Along came Knife making and I haven't looked back since :biggrin: My problems is I have to retrain myself every time I make a knife. Thank god for this forum, I am constantly referring back to this forum on how to do things.

:35:

Geez Eric. Add you to the list of "Man." You guys are killing me here. I'm too new to share things of that/this private of a nature but I will tell you fellas that you are quite an inspiration to myself. Incredible how I found my way here, to find out about Steve's pocket clips....and here I am getting schooled on life.

Anyone can have a nice life and persevere {sp?} when they have their health, it's when you lose some semblance of what you once were and keep kicking/pushing down those doors. You men are incredible and I'm not kissing any butt either. I really needed to hear these stories guys. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. :)

Gregg,
No such thing as being too new here! We are a family, a real "KNIFE" family! Seriously, here at KD we revel in each others accomplishments and likewise, we mourn each others tragedies! I guarantee you will find no better group of people anywhere else on the web or any place either, so go ahead and count yourself among the brethren, sort of a Knife ''Brotherhood" if you will. So pull up a chair and get good and comfy, you're HOME!

I don't so much think of myself as being disabled, so far I've been fortunate enough to keep from being labeled that by anyone else, which is a good thing for me. I'd lose what's left of my mind if I couldn't go to work everyday, yeah, it looks appealing from a distance, but once I was not allowed to go to work for 6 months, It was like it was taken from me, and keeping myself entertained was almost impossible at the time, that was before I started knife making, it might be different now. For me, knife making is my mental therapy, having serious memory issues and having to recall the way a process works is good for the cracked noodle I have for a brain! I treat my knife making as a reward for getting up and making it through another day, its my treat for ME!!! I know the time will come that I won't be able to go work...I'm just going to put it off for as long as possible!!!

Welcome to the pack, Gregg! Do remember that this knife making thing is an all consuming venture! It will take over almost every thought you have, sometimes it IS every thought! But that isn't a bad thing, you just got to have understanding loved ones, I feel sorry for my wife,...most of the time, when I get something on my mind that I'm trying to figure out or work it out in my head, kinda like "getting my mind wrapped around" something, I will talk her ear off, about all this stuff of which, nearly none of it she understands, but she just keeps on tying to follow me and offer up suggestions. Poor thing, to be so understanding AND being married to me, I asked her if she might have ticked off some Gypsies and been cursed!!! She just smiles and says she loves me, ....I guess I just got real lucky! And she must have used hers UP! Y'all have a knife night!!
Rex

Last edited:
This place is like going to therapy but better. Sitting on the river bank fishing and knife making is my church!!!!!!!!!!!!

Life is what you make of it. God bless all of you for overcoming any and all obsticles life has dished out.

Life is what you make of it. God bless all of you for overcoming any and all obstacles life has dished out.

Jim,
I do believe that is what we are all saying, I know the majority of my problems are directly related to giving every bit of 100%+ while in the Marines. 10 foot tall and bullet proof is what we were taught, even brainwashed to think, more like, believe. That mentality is what made me continue on, even at times I probably shouldn't have, if I would've stopped when I already knew I was injured, I would more than likely have fewer problems now than I do, but there was no way of knowing that the conditions I had then would be what they are today.

I know that I have some better days than others, currently I'm on a roll of bad days, where it seems like I can't get inspired to do anything, coming off a string of several days where I was getting to the shop every day, although it was no more than an hour or 2 at a time, but it is such a wonderful feeling, making it for that long, and actually getting something that looks like a knife in the works, maybe I'll have something to show in a little while..., I have a customer that has been more than patient, I had his knife almost completed when I found a crack in the blade, made me sick! I was thinking it was a scratch, that I couldn't get out, then I went on to test it a little early, which made me KNOW what it was, I could not send that knife out, even though he told me it would be a "safe Queen"! There was just no way I will put my name on a knife that doesn't meet my expectations, I've tried to break it and so far I haven't been able to, I do want to get inside it, to see what caused it, and will when I have the time and feel up to it.

Making LIFE what we want it to be is what I think makes knife making a great skill to learn, for those like us. I have always said that there are many ways to make a knife, the right way is the way that you make one the best! So for those that are thinking about getting into knifemaking, however you can make a knife is the RIGHT WAY!!! The only thing that matters is that you make a quality product that will perform as expected, and last many lifetimes! That is what makes a hand made knife worth the extra expense, to me anyway.

We do make the best of what life has given us, and making life better through knifemaking might be a hard way to go about it, it is one that is incredibly fulfilling! As those of you that know the feeling you get when you complete a knife no matter how complex or simple, if it was an accomplishment for YOU, it is that feeling that drives me on, kind of like an adrenalin junky has to go higher to get that rush, the next knife has to be more difficult AND BETTER, than all that came before it. That is why I think knifemaking is great for those that are disabled, or limited in their physical capabilities. Pity or anything like it, is useless to any of us, accomplishments no matter how large or small, on a personal level or even one that has a larger impact on the industry, THAT is something that is worthwhile to EVERYONE!!!

I think I might go to the shop now....REX

I went to see a psychologist yesterday (I guess that's what she was called) in the process of trying to get disability. I was explaining to her that when I do something...pretty much anything...I pay for it later. I told her that I know that at the end of the day I will be in pain for what I did during the day so I have to make the time count, or at least be worthy of the pain. I'm sure she's heard it all before.

I didnt want to try to get disability. I have been feeling miserable about it now for about a month. I dont know how to say it, but it makes me feel guilty. I'm a man and I'm supposed to work and support my family. I hate the idea, but I dont have any choice.

I went to see a psychologist yesterday (I guess that's what she was called) in the process of trying to get disability. I was explaining to her that when I do something...pretty much anything...I pay for it later. I told her that I know that at the end of the day I will be in pain for what I did during the day so I have to make the time count, or at least be worthy of the pain. I'm sure she's heard it all before.

I didnt want to try to get disability. I have been feeling miserable about it now for about a month. I dont know how to say it, but it makes me feel guilty. I'm a man and I'm supposed to work and support my family. I hate the idea, but I dont have any choice.

Eric,
I went through all of that crap to get disability 15 and may need to go back on it some day?
It is demoralizing and goes against the grain of what we were taught and most importantly, What kind of men we are! You deserved the help if you need it and just remember that many that are stinking rich in the Banking, Wall Street & Insurance industries just got bailed out by our Government over the past few years to the tune of millions each.

And that money was so the didn't have to sell their 20 Million homes and live in some 5 million dollar shack!

So if any one is worthy of about $800.00 to 1000.00 a month it's a hard working man like you that lost a leg and is still fighting the good fight!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Eric a man dose what he has to in order to support his family. I can't say I would be any different then you if I faced the same problems. Sometimes we are in situations beyond our control and we have to rely on support from other sources. Don't let it drag you down try to do what you can each day and enjoy the days given to you.

The whole bunch of you guys have my admiration.

Eric,
My Brother! With countless ILLEGAL Aliens and even more able bodied individuals that chose NOT to work, when they could, get free housing, medical, food, and friggin cell phones!!! With the money provided by us working folks, JUST LIKE YOU. I almost want to chastise you for feeling that way, those programs that are so often abused by those that are allowed to by our government was originally put in place to help those that are in need, IT IS NOT A HAND OUT!!!! YOU WORKED FOR THIS BENEFIT!!!!! Since the day you started working and was FORCED to pay into Social Security, until the day you can no longer hold down a job, you have paid for this benefit, Oh and I should also point out that your employers have paid into it as well!!!! That is something that a lot of us forget about, not only are we paying for it, our employers have to pay the same amount that we pay as well! It is not a friggin hand out or charity, they want us to feel that way, because they know we are proud people, and that the very ones that have paid for those sorry pieces of crap to live off of us because they were labeled as mentally dysfunctional simply because they couldn't read!!!! Not that they were just plain lazy and wouldn't learn how when they had the chance or were so disruptive in school that they couldn't learn because they were constantly being kicked out of school! I worked for the Alabama Dept of Youth Services, for 8 years, I have seen too many of these kind of kids come through there, that while they were not only locked up for crimes they committed with the State paying for them to be locked up, whatever stood for parents they had, were still receiving a check from the government! SO these kids were being paid for twice! By our government, who act like they are so perfect, that they know so much about who deserves what! No my BROTHER, you shall feel NO SHAME! NOT FOR REQUESTING A BENEFIT THAT YOU HAVE PAID FOR!!!! I may sound a little angry, and it is not directed at you, more so the way the people that deserve the benefit that they have earned are treated when they need it. It would be interesting to know how many of the Illegal immigrants that come through there are sent to a Psychologists or whatever she was called! How many of the 20 year old mothers with 4 kids from 4 different fathers are sent to a psychologist!!!! But that would be "profiling", wouldn't it? Yet, you are sent to a doctor, ask yourself why. Know that it is not about you so much as it is the system trying to find any reason to say, "No". To make you feel less than the man you are, just as you have been strong and proud your entire life, do the same with this. This is just like an insurance policy that YOU HAVE PAID FOR, it is your benefit, if you have to, get a lawyer, there are plenty out there that will take your case on a pay if they win basis, use that as a last resort, as it is quite expensive. Even though the amount they are paid is dictated by the government, it is still a couple thousand dollars. But, if it comes to that, sometimes it is better then nothing, just know that you deserve this, it is not a handout, it is not charity, you are still the MAN you have ALWAYS BEEN! Understand and KNOW THAT, Bro', and don't allow them to make you feel any different! Stay PROUD!!!

This reminds me of too many of the articles I have read recently, about people that are making a mint, by having more children, literally, one article I read had an "undocumented" woman making over 3K a month, plus all the benefits, I agree a cell phone might be a great tool if they are looking for work, but they are not. When I see these women out with all the designer clothes they wear, fingernails all jazzed up, and buying friggin filet mignon, with food stamps! Some get so much in food stamps they sell some of them for less than half their value, so they can go clubbin', so you can see why I might sound a little angry to hear of someone that is in need of the benefit that you have paid for and DESERVES IT!!!! That won't be wasting it on crap, BUT since you earned the benefit, it is yours to do as you wish!

Back