Knife Making and being Disabled

Eric,
My Brother! With countless ILLEGAL Aliens and even more able bodied individuals that chose NOT to work, when they could, get free housing, medical, food, and friggin cell phones!!! With the money provided by us working folks, JUST LIKE YOU. I almost want to chastise you for feeling that way, those programs that are so often abused by those that are allowed to by our government was originally put in place to help those that are in need, IT IS NOT A HAND OUT!!!! YOU WORKED FOR THIS BENEFIT!!!!! Since the day you started working and was FORCED to pay into Social Security, until the day you can no longer hold down a job, you have paid for this benefit, Oh and I should also point out that your employers have paid into it as well!!!! That is something that a lot of us forget about, not only are we paying for it, our employers have to pay the same amount that we pay as well! It is not a friggin hand out or charity, they want us to feel that way, because they know we are proud people, and that the very ones that have paid for those sorry pieces of crap to live off of us because they were labeled as mentally dysfunctional simply because they couldn't read!!!! Not that they were just plain lazy and wouldn't learn how when they had the chance or were so disruptive in school that they couldn't learn because they were constantly being kicked out of school! I worked for the Alabama Dept of Youth Services, for 8 years, I have seen too many of these kind of kids come through there, that while they were not only locked up for crimes they committed with the State paying for them to be locked up, whatever stood for parents they had, were still receiving a check from the government! SO these kids were being paid for twice! By our government, who act like they are so perfect, that they know so much about who deserves what! No my BROTHER, you shall feel NO SHAME! NOT FOR REQUESTING A BENEFIT THAT YOU HAVE PAID FOR!!!! I may sound a little angry, and it is not directed at you, more so the way the people that deserve the benefit that they have earned are treated when they need it. It would be interesting to know how many of the Illegal immigrants that come through there are sent to a Psychologists or whatever she was called! How many of the 20 year old mothers with 4 kids from 4 different fathers are sent to a psychologist!!!! But that would be "profiling", wouldn't it? Yet, you are sent to a doctor, ask yourself why. Know that it is not about you so much as it is the system trying to find any reason to say, "No". To make you feel less than the man you are, just as you have been strong and proud your entire life, do the same with this. This is just like an insurance policy that YOU HAVE PAID FOR, it is your benefit, if you have to, get a lawyer, there are plenty out there that will take your case on a pay if they win basis, use that as a last resort, as it is quite expensive. Even though the amount they are paid is dictated by the government, it is still a couple thousand dollars. But, if it comes to that, sometimes it is better then nothing, just know that you deserve this, it is not a handout, it is not charity, you are still the MAN you have ALWAYS BEEN! Understand and KNOW THAT, Bro', and don't allow them to make you feel any different! Stay PROUD!!!

This reminds me of too many of the articles I have read recently, about people that are making a mint, by having more children, literally, one article I read had an "undocumented" woman making over 3K a month, plus all the benefits, I agree a cell phone might be a great tool if they are looking for work, but they are not. When I see these women out with all the designer clothes they wear, fingernails all jazzed up, and buying friggin filet mignon, with food stamps! Some get so much in food stamps they sell some of them for less than half their value, so they can go clubbin', so you can see why I might sound a little angry to hear of someone that is in need of the benefit that you have paid for and DESERVES IT!!!! That won't be wasting it on crap, BUT since you earned the benefit, it is yours to do as you wish!

Eric,
Amen to what this Gent has written! You deserve if you need it. end of statement. I do want to add that having been through the process you will most likely be denied the first time.

Fight on and when you get it you will receive the money due from the date you first applied.
The lawyer I would put off until you have been denied twice.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Eric,
My Brother! With countless ILLEGAL Aliens and even more able bodied individuals that chose NOT to work, when they could, get free housing, medical, food, and friggin cell phones!!! With the money provided by us working folks, JUST LIKE YOU. I almost want to chastise you for feeling that way, those programs that are so often abused by those that are allowed to by our government was originally put in place to help those that are in need, IT IS NOT A HAND OUT!!!! YOU WORKED FOR THIS BENEFIT!!!!! Since the day you started working and was FORCED to pay into Social Security, until the day you can no longer hold down a job, you have paid for this benefit, Oh and I should also point out that your employers have paid into it as well!!!! That is something that a lot of us forget about, not only are we paying for it, our employers have to pay the same amount that we pay as well! It is not a friggin hand out or charity, they want us to feel that way, because they know we are proud people, and that the very ones that have paid for those sorry pieces of crap to live off of us because they were labeled as mentally dysfunctional simply because they couldn't read!!!! Not that they were just plain lazy and wouldn't learn how when they had the chance or were so disruptive in school that they couldn't learn because they were constantly being kicked out of school! I worked for the Alabama Dept of Youth Services, for 8 years, I have seen too many of these kind of kids come through there, that while they were not only locked up for crimes they committed with the State paying for them to be locked up, whatever stood for parents they had, were still receiving a check from the government! SO these kids were being paid for twice! By our government, who act like they are so perfect, that they know so much about who deserves what! No my BROTHER, you shall feel NO SHAME! NOT FOR REQUESTING A BENEFIT THAT YOU HAVE PAID FOR!!!! I may sound a little angry, and it is not directed at you, more so the way the people that deserve the benefit that they have earned are treated when they need it. It would be interesting to know how many of the Illegal immigrants that come through there are sent to a Psychologists or whatever she was called! How many of the 20 year old mothers with 4 kids from 4 different fathers are sent to a psychologist!!!! But that would be "profiling", wouldn't it? Yet, you are sent to a doctor, ask yourself why. Know that it is not about you so much as it is the system trying to find any reason to say, "No". To make you feel less than the man you are, just as you have been strong and proud your entire life, do the same with this. This is just like an insurance policy that YOU HAVE PAID FOR, it is your benefit, if you have to, get a lawyer, there are plenty out there that will take your case on a pay if they win basis, use that as a last resort, as it is quite expensive. Even though the amount they are paid is dictated by the government, it is still a couple thousand dollars. But, if it comes to that, sometimes it is better then nothing, just know that you deserve this, it is not a handout, it is not charity, you are still the MAN you have ALWAYS BEEN! Understand and KNOW THAT, Bro', and don't allow them to make you feel any different! Stay PROUD!!!

This reminds me of too many of the articles I have read recently, about people that are making a mint, by having more children, literally, one article I read had an "undocumented" woman making over 3K a month, plus all the benefits, I agree a cell phone might be a great tool if they are looking for work, but they are not. When I see these women out with all the designer clothes they wear, fingernails all jazzed up, and buying friggin filet mignon, with food stamps! Some get so much in food stamps they sell some of them for less than half their value, so they can go clubbin', so you can see why I might sound a little angry to hear of someone that is in need of the benefit that you have paid for and DESERVES IT!!!! That won't be wasting it on crap, BUT since you earned the benefit, it is yours to do as you wish!

Very well said!

I have a "friend" (grew up with him) in Louisiana who lives off of taxpayers. He and his girlfriend have been robbing our system for years. They are 200% capable of working, but have it too easy from the government to go get a job. They haven't paid a penny to taxes in over 6 years and get over $6000 a year just on their "tax return", for having two kids. The government (us) pays for all of the food and pays the girlfriend money to help with bills. They have two kids and we are paying to raise them. I almost punched him in the face when he told me about it all. Even thought about turning them in, but they wouldn't do anything about it. The saddest thing is, she claims that he is not around anymore, but they both live off of it. I hope this changes soon! I also met a guy on a jobsite who's wife works for the disability office and she is allocated a certain amount of money every month that HAS to go to someone. The majority of the people that get the money just got out of prison for rape, manslaughter, etc. or just got out of a rehab for addiction, which they did to themselves. I don't know how she does it. All of my "allocated" money would be going right back to where it came from if I had her job.

Eric, you deserve a little help as well as any other American that has contributed. Don't let it make you feel any less of yourself. I hope they give you what you have earned.

Eric, I have been where your at and I know exactly how you are feeling. I had two kids still in school when I had my back surgery. I tried too go back to work and when the pain got so unbearable I went back to my surgeon. He didn't want to see me. His nurse told me, "not all surgeries are successful" and their was little they could do for me except for further surgery in the future perhaps! Ah no, I don't think so.

I waited till we had run through our savings and were about to lose everything. My pride kept telling me the same things you said. I started working when I was 14 doing construction and after HS went into the Army in the same field,46th Engineer Battalion,(Combat Engineer), and back into construction after the Army. There was little that I couldn't do and nothing I couldn't lift. I once picked up a V8 engine minus the heads off of the ground and set it in the back of a pickup truck. I was suddenly finished with be able to a lot of things at least with out help. I settled into depression and got so mean that I couldn't stand myself but, my kids and my wife refused to give up on me!

I had several battles with the SS before they decided to give me SS. They put me thru all the crap and the going to the shrink. When they sent me too him he asked if I knew why I was there. I asked him if he wanted an honest answer too that question. He said yes! I told him it was because the government would rather spend the money to send me to shrink, than to pay me my benefits. He laughed and agreed and then asked his list of questions. Such as are you depressed? Why hell yes I am depressed I use to be able to anything I set my mind too and at the end of the day I was not fitting terrible pain in a quest for a little rest. Yes I am depressed. I am depressed that I here before you when I am about too lose everything I have worked all my life for!

I finally had to hire a lawyer and go before a SS judge who reviewed my case and ruled in my favor. Nearly a little over 2 1/2 years since I filed the first paperwork. The damn lawyer ended up getting nearly $5000.00 for nothing but filing the same paperwork I filed prior to hiring him and being there when the case was reviewed by the judge. Oh did I mention he was hung-over from the night before and smelled of booze!:what!::31:

I had been paying on SS from the time I was 14 years old, I worked for the money and when I needed it I almost gave up on getting it! Don't give up hang in there.

Eric the whole process is designed to wear you down, so you will quit and go away.
After my wife got sick and there was no cure we had to apply for SS for her! Surprisingly her battle went better than mine. The lawyer explained it too me when we were trying to get mine this way. It like this the system has little boxes and if your condition fits into one of those given boxes you will get SS no problem but, if it doesn't you will have to fight for it and they will do everything they can to get you too give up.

It is still that way! We live off our SS completely, after she got sick we ran through everything waiting for her benefits. Some months we have too decide what we can do without. But her drug bill and mine are very high and no one will help. They tell me if we were divorced we could both qualify for extra benefits, but as a married couple we make too much to qualify for assistance. I told them to go to hell, they had gotten everything else, my dignity and pride and they were not going to get my marriage. We have been married 35 years this past December and I can't imagine not being married too her! When I applied for Medicare part D this past year the lady who took the application told us that we would be surprised at the numbers of folks who will tell her they are divorced but living together as they can get help no other way, and then most will tell her but don't mention it because our kids don't know!

Bother you hang in there and don't feel bad for asking for yourSS. They will fight you tooth and nail more than likely but you hang in there and keep your head up and fight back till you get it. It's yours you worked for it now go get it!

eric, i have been where your at and i know exactly how you are feeling. I had two kids still in school when i had my back surgery. I tried too go back to work and when the pain got so unbearable i went back to my surgeon. He didn't want to see me. His nurse told me, "not all surgeries are successful" and their was little they could do for me except for further surgery in the future perhaps! Ah no, i don't think so.

I waited till we had run through our savings and were about to lose everything. My pride kept telling me the same things you said. I started working when i was 14 doing construction and after hs went into the army in the same field,46th engineer battalion,(combat engineer), and back into construction after the army. There was little that i couldn't do and nothing i couldn't lift. I once picked up a v8 engine minus the heads off of the ground and set it in the back of a pickup truck. I was suddenly finished with be able to a lot of things at least with out help. I settled into depression and got so mean that i couldn't stand myself but, my kids and my wife refused to give up on me!

I had several battles with the ss before they decided to give me ss. They put me thru all the crap and the going to the shrink. When they sent me too him he asked if i knew why i was there. I asked him if he wanted an honest answer too that question. He said yes! I told him it was because the government would rather spend the money to send me to shrink, than to pay me my benefits. He laughed and agreed and then asked his list of questions. Such as are you depressed? Why hell yes i am depressed i use to be able to anything i set my mind too and at the end of the day i was not fitting terrible pain in a quest for a little rest. Yes i am depressed. I am depressed that i here before you when i am about too lose everything i have worked all my life for!

I finally had to hire a lawyer and go before a ss judge who reviewed my case and ruled in my favor. Nearly a little over 2 1/2 years since i filed the first paperwork. The damn lawyer ended up getting nearly $5000.00 for nothing but filing the same paperwork i filed prior to hiring him and being there when the case was reviewed by the judge. Oh did i mention he was hung-over from the night before and smelled of booze!:what!::31:

I had been paying on ss from the time i was 14 years old, i worked for the money and when i needed it i almost gave up on getting it! Don't give up hang in there.

Eric the whole process is designed to wear you down, so you will quit and go away.
After my wife got sick and there was no cure we had to apply for ss for her! Surprisingly her battle went better than mine. The lawyer explained it too me when we were trying to get mine this way. It like this the system has little boxes and if your condition fits into one of those given boxes you will get ss no problem but, if it doesn't you will have to fight for it and they will do everything they can to get you too give up.

It is still that way! We live off our ss completely, after she got sick we ran through everything waiting for her benefits. Some months we have too decide what we can do without. But her drug bill and mine are very high and no one will help. They tell me if we were divorced we could both qualify for extra benefits, but as a married couple we make too much to qualify for assistance. I told them to go to hell, they had gotten everything else, my dignity and pride and they were not going to get my marriage. We have been married 35 years this past december and i can't imagine not being married too her! When i applied for medicare part d this past year the lady who took the application told us that we would be surprised at the numbers of folks who will tell her they are divorced but living together as they can get help no other way, and then most will tell her but don't mention it because our kids don't know!

Bother you hang in there and don't feel bad for asking for yourss. They will fight you tooth and nail more than likely but you hang in there and keep your head up and fight back till you get it. It's yours you worked for it now go get it!

c craft , i friggin salute you bro !!!!!!!!!!! Eric hang in there brutha ..

It's been a while, so I thought I would throw a couple lines in here just to keep this ball rolling. It's not so much that I am looking for a pitty party as much as I encourage others to share their thoughts and problems. I know that words mean little to some people, but to me a man is based in his word, and when he voices his thoughts and concerns I pay attention with my heart. (at ease)

I got a letter from SS a couple of days ago informing me that they now want me to go back to the original doctor and have X rays done. This really bothered my wife. She is convinced they are delaying and trying to put this whole thing off.
If you guys knew me you would know I am a very patient and calm guy. I dont get rattled easily, and I rarely get angry. When I do get mad it doesnt last long and then I get over it. So something like this I take in stride, but my wife not so much.

Yesterday after supper I was walking from the kitchen table to the livingroom to watch a little tv when all of a sudden I fell flat on my face. I wasnt hurt really, got a few bruises, but my pride took a hit. I cant explain what happened, I just fell like someone took my legs out from under me. My wife said it looked as though my legs just buckled under me. This does not happen very often. In fact it has only happened twice now. Being an amputee I am very aware of things on the ground that can trip me because I have no feeling in my right leg (artificial). But this time there was nothing anywhere to trip me up. I just fell. (Probably ought to inspect the floor joists for damage.)
Now imagine me in a production environment with heavy machinery running all around. Would you want me out there walking around whilke you are liable for my safety? Of course you wouldnt, neither would I if the shoe were on the other foot. I dont even know why I just wrote all that.

People ask me how I'm doing... Has this happened to you? You meet someone you know, like in a store, and they ask you how you are.. Or you pass someone in a hall and they ask you how it's going. How many times do you feel that the person really wants to know or are they just being polite.
Now, I will admit, I am a talker. I used to sit for hours working on projects at work and talk to no one all day, and I could do that day in and day out for days on end, but the first person that started talking to me on a personal level was in for a dissertation that may take a while.
But as I've gotten older I have been able to sense sincerity, or should I say insincerity. I dont dispise it, but it disheartens me. I would just as soon they would not engage me on a personal level than to have to act as though they cared. Just sayin...

I've probably said this before, but you guys are like family to me. I feel like I can talk to you guys...and I care.

I've read all of your posts, and I feel as though you are my brothers. And I care about all of you. Thanks for letting me just ramble on.

Last edited:
Eric,
The good news is SSI wants more information and that means you haven't been declined! once you have applied you will get your money from that day. Make sure your wife understands this. I know when your tight on funds it hurts but you will eventually get the money for all of the delays.

Keep jumping through the hoops for them and it will be resolved in your favor.

Stay in the fight Buddy!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Thanks Laurance, and thanks to everyone who has read through this thread and said a prayer for all of us.

Eric it is kind of like this the whole process sucks and is full of delay tactics designed to get you to walk away from your claim. However as Lawrence said the good news is it's not a denial, and even that is not the end as you can refile. It sucks big time but a lot of times the only way to get the benefits you are deserving off is too get a SS lawyer and then it usually ends up before a SS judge and he/she has too make a decision!

I am sorry to be blunt but the folks giving the denials are paper pushers and could care less about the real person or what you may be going thru, and even if they truly do there hands are tied if they want to keep their job. ! There job as they see it is too continue to deny your claim as long as their is the slightest of basis for the denial. I have been there and nearly lost everything twice now. Some days I sit back now and think I wonder how things would have been different ............if? But hell that usually just makes me depressed and I ain't got time for that anymore!:biggrin: The only thing I might have done different is gone to a lawyer sooner as they get paid a percentage of your back pay from the time of disability and that would have meant the shyster would have not gotten as much!:3: That is one good point the lawyers for SS work on a contingency fee basis and if you don't get anything they don't get anything!

I will tell you of a young girl that I know who is conically sick and has been a long time! She had gone to the Mayo Clinic and finally gotten a diagnose after years of unexplained problems. They were 100% convinced this was the girls problem and like my wife's condition there is no cure only medication for treatment of some of the symptoms and pain. The SS sent her back to her primary physician for testing and a diagnoses. Of course the primary has absolutely no experience in the disease that this girl is afflicted with! Stall tactic or just plain I don't care. You will have to draw your own conclusions on that one!!!!! Personally I trust the doctors at the Mayo Clinic much more than an inexperienced physician that may never see a case of her disease in their lifetime!
Had it not been for a trip to UAB Birmingham (a major medical teaching university)with my wife, she would more than likely still not have a diagnose after three years, because I found few that know of her disease and even fewer that have treated her disease. But it is real and irreversible at this time! Their are specific tests that have been developed in the past few years that can nail the disease diagnose dead on!!! However most doctors don't know how to diagnose it or treat it!

Our government only helps those who are undeserving the one who really need it, well they just don't know how to work the system and tend to fall through the cracks! Sometimes it makes me sound hard hearted but I have been to the offices to try and get help. The folks in line are all dressed better than me and are driving better vehicles than me. And when they ask for there records everything is in cash and can't be traced.

They start to say well you got two vehicles, you will have to sell one of them!
Sure but they are both junkers and I keep the other just so I have at least one that is running! Well you have money in the bank they will say! It wouldn't last a week if needed and it barely covers the months real bills.
Hell mine and the wife's drug bills and medical bills we were paying on run about $2600.00 a month or more. Well you got insurance don't you? Not anymore I couldn't afford the premiums! Well you make too much as a couple! Kiss my hiney because you ain't getting my marriage! Well you might qualify for medically needed but we need all your records and if you sold anything in the past two years that income will count against you! Well yes I have sold everything but my first born!
Oh and by the way you will continually have to submit records and if you don't qualify for one month you will need to go thru this entire qualification process again at that time!:sad:

Eric, I have given up on anymore help than my SS and do my best to live off of it. So far me and the wife still have what is left of our health and we still have a roof over our head. Our kids are doing well as are my grandchildren. God does hear a lot of prayers from me, not for myself much but for my loved ones and friends. So I am going to throw one out right now for you and yours! And Eric I do believe in the power of prayer. I hope you don't mind!

Father, lay your hands on Eric and his family, guide them thru this tough times, protect them and show him that their is a another side as you have promised to us all who believe!.......Amen

Last edited:
I dont know your first name, but I will call you brother. I believe in God and his power to do all things. Your prayers are coveted.
I understand what you are saying, and knowing that I am not alone helps.

I want everyone to know that I am not soliciting for financial help from anyone on this forum, or anywhere for that matter.
I love you guys and wish you all the best, but I will make it somehow. I still have some things left I can sell.

You guys are the best.
I'm an emotional man, so before I start to cry, I will go.

Eric, the first name is Cliff but brother will work. No one thinks you are soliciting any thing but a kind ear to listen, and brother their are days when that means everything! I know I have been their. I have talked to folks when I knew their was absolutely nothing they could do to help me, and at the end of it I was just glad to have someone to talk to about it! Sometime keeping things bottled up inside of you is the worse thing you can do!

I have been trying to help with the benefit of my experiences and like its always said "the mileage may vary". However anytime I lend a hand I don't mind, cause some days that's all I got I can lend!

I'm was just wondering if anyone here besides me has had a complete knee replacement. I had one two years ago. The reason for my inquiry is that I have been having pain in my knee the last couple of days. I think it comes from standing too long, but I dont know. My wife is convinced that there is something wrong with my knee replacement because I have fallen down a few times in the last couple of weeks for no apparent reason. (remember I am also an amputee so I only have one good leg) A couple of days ago I was walking and all of a sudden, like someone pulled my legs out from under me, I fell.
But anyway...I have been having pain in my knee. It's bad enough that I have to use a cane just for short distances, like from the table to the livingroom. It's not the first time I have had pain, but it has been consistant for a period of time now and I am concerned.
If you know someone...wife, friend, sibling..the guy at the grab and go...let me know if this is normal.

It is REALLY important that you find the cause of your falling. I had incidents like that and I ended up battered and bruised a few times from falls. Mine turned out to be my eyes and some type of crystals that get out of place. Therapy helps greatly, at least until those damn crystals start moving again :). Good luck and God bless...Teddy

Well crap Teddy, the only excitement I get is when I fall, now you wanna take that away...? LOL. Did you think you were having trouble with your eyes at the time or did the doctor figure it out? Just curious because I dont think there is anything wrong with my eyes other than normal age stuff for which I wear glasses.

Eric, you may need to go back to your doc and have the knee looked at! There has been a lot of buzz on TV about knee and hip replacements failing! My niece was born without a hip socket and has had several surgeries over the years. The last replacement failed on here and she maybe looking at another replacement! Anyway its just a thought and it won't hurt to have take a looksee!

I told my doc about falling and he sent me to therapy to be checked out and the therapist took one look at my eyes and said...yeppers. They look at eye movement. Therapy involves walking in a jagged pattern while looking up/dn/rt/lt. 6 visits= no more falling. ...Teddy

...er, unemployed = no insurance, = guess I gotta keep falling. If the knee is the problem then they should fix it I would think.

I went to a Chiropractor yesterda about my back. He told me my spine is not perpendicular to my hips due to being one legged for over 30 years. He tried to square me up some, and it felt as though it might have done the trick. Then I got up to leave and took a couple steps and knew it was a no go. He told me that I could come back on a weekly basis and he would try to help eleviate some of the pain, but that he couldnt offer me any guarentees.
He told me he was sorry he really couldnt help me and he seemed to be genuinely concerned.

...and there it is. Pain for the rest of my life. However long that is. Trying to stay upbeat.

Eric,
You are not alone!
Granted I have both legs but I have lived in level 4-8 of a possible 10 pain daily for over 20 years!
Get your hiney into your shop and make some knives!

Best therapy in the world!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

i just became offically disabled last june. 3 fused disk in my neck, the right knee has been replaced the left knee and my lower back is to arthritic to be able to hold a job. i was able to take early retirement from my job and just got S.S. disability. i have been making knives sence the late 70's. but because of my helth i have only made 4 knives in the last 5 years. i am almost 57 years old,but i have had one heck of a ride so far. bullrider,boxer,body guard,boncer, land survyor,knifemaker,blacksmith.
think you all for putting up with my rant. we all share the same out look " get the hell out of my way and let me figure out how i need to do this"

Back