Knife Maker Ethics

I made an interesting observation at the last Blade Show: As I cruised around the tables, more especially the ABS tables, I noticed a lot of knives that looked A LOT alike. Not to besmurch any of those knives, they were all outstanding. But I didn't notice anybody getting in a kink over the fact that they all were making a very similar design. I didn't see any "Xmaker inspired design" signs. They were just a bunch of hidden/mortise/through tang hunters with stag/bone/tusk handles laying around. All very well made. Sometimes it would have been hard for a very skilled observer to pick out any major difference. I bring this up to illustrate the idea that "there is nothing new under the sun", especially true with knives I think....

It's pretty obvious when a knife is an exact copy of a popular knife. That's the only time it really becomes a problem. If a knifemaker does come up with something unique and hot that he can make a few bucks from he should have the right to profit from his design.

I see it all the time with Gil Hibbens knives. Gil has been fortunate enough to get several of his knives used in movies where they get a lot of exposure. As soon as the movie comes out the knock-offs start showing up with the excuse that it is similar to something that was made before. Of course nobody was making them until Gil made them poplular and then they want to cash in on his work.

Mike, I agree with your comments. Gil's knives are truly unique in design and build, and I too have seen some of what your talking about - "cheap copies" so to speak. However they were easy to spot.
That brings me to another thought- I have seen it in other areas of expertise. When someone starts to try to copy a high-end product, it ultimately increases the price and demand for the "real McCoy." The buyers of the cheapy are most likely not potential buyers of the real thing anyway because of price, but once the cheapo gets out, it brings to light the quality of the real thing and could cause a spike in the market from folks wanting the real thing. I do realize the danger of the cheapo's hurting the reputation of the original, but over time it may even bolster their reputation.

Not that I am advocating any copying, just thinking....

I mean to be serious here, why does this philosophy have to be a "knife thing"? Would you demand from me a fair price on sharp knife, but overlook the fact I let a mugger hurt your wife?

If you tell the truth you never have to remember what you said. If you uphold high business standards as your conduct then 'stealing' an idea is never considered.

I had a long telephone chat with a fellow K'Dog member, and I told him I usually include a picture of knives on my crappy bedspread. I also told him the reason. There are so many liars and charlatans on the 'web that I can no longer state an issue simply by my prose--at least not as a new member.

If I say I own/sharpen a knife then I show the picture. I consider this a sad commentary on our present society.

Back