Knife Collecting as an Investment

A lot of things are valuable on paper until you try to sell it. Than you find out why it's not worth what you think.

A lot of things are valuable on paper until you try to sell it. Than you find out why it's not worth what you think.

True Larry, but one doesn't have to look too far to see how valuable Loveless knives are regardless of why or who made them or if justified.

How do you know or even prove if you have a knife made by Loveless or by someone else. Also why would a knife with his name on it and not made by him be valuable? I don't get it.

This thread already looks like its headed down the wrong road.

If you'd like to argue, do it in a PM.

The "no drama" rule will strickly be enforced.

BC

Last edited:
Sometimes perceived value is utterly subjective, and makes no sense at all to people who don't give a hoot. Why were non-matching-number '70 Chevelles going for $40,000+ back in the 90's, and matching-number models selling for far more, when a brand-new $25,000 Camaro performed better (under warranty) in almost every way? :confused: *shrug*

edit: I apologize if I've contributed to drama/controversy in any way. That's certainly not my intent. I just find this subject interesting, although confusing and a bit vague.

Last edited:
Sure wasn't expecting my post, and my first real post on knifedogs, to go this long.

Let's get back to investing. I do buy what I like, but try to refine my desires to meet possiblities that will get me knives likely (in my mind) to icrease in value. I do find my desires, i.e., what I like, to be changing.

I think identifying makers and developing relationships with them is a good idea.

I suspect that there are a goodly number of makers who do not play on the internet, as in sell, thus learning about these guys is somewhat harder.

To some extent, the makers knives dealers are offering on their sites are probably an indication of good makers to own knives from..........if you get them at the right price.

I just started my collection in February.I have a certain amount to "invest" each year. My initial plan was to buy on a theme and change that theme each year. I am now thinking I may be better off to identify 3 or so makers each year and buy strictly from them. I see now that holding knives for too long is a real possibility.

Can we keep the "love" going lose the drama? Enjoying the dialog anyway.
mt

Sure wasn't expecting my post, and my first real post on knifedogs, to go this long.

Let's get back to investing. I do buy what I like, but try to refine my desires to meet possiblities that will get me knives likely (in my mind) to icrease in value. I do find my desires, i.e., what I like, to be changing.

This is one of the biggest dilemmas facing new collectors. When new, we often jump right in and start buying knives only to find out in about a year (after being exposed to wide range of knives) that our taste changes. Very often leaving us stuck with knives we no longer want.

I think identifying makers and developing relationships with them is a good idea.

Yes, you can learn a lot from knifemakers who are usually very willing to share their knowledge. And I find the relationships make the entire collecting experience much more enjoyable.

I suspect that there are a goodly number of makers who do not play on the internet, as in sell, thus learning about these guys is somewhat harder.

You are right, that's why attending knife shows is so important. However being in Alaska, you are a little isolated from the shows.

To some extent, the makers knives dealers are offering on their sites are probably an indication of good makers to own knives from..........if you get them at the right price.

I just started my collection in February.I have a certain amount to "invest" each year. My initial plan was to buy on a theme and change that theme each year. I am now thinking I may be better off to identify 3 or so makers each year and buy strictly from them. I see now that holding knives for too long is a real possibility.

I found not only buying from a fewer number of makers in the beginning helpful, but also concentrating and educating yourself on sectors of the market first rather than trying to grasp the entire market at once. It's time consuming but can help you to avoid some costly mistakes. Don't be too concerned with holding knives too long. You will learn when it's best to sell if that is the direction you take in your collecting.

Can we keep the "love" going lose the drama? Enjoying the dialog anyway.
mt

Hope my information helps.

Last edited:
At the end of the day I buy what I like. I know of very expensive collections comprised of Opinels, a French knife costing from five to ten dollars. There are guys who only collect 9-inch Italian automatics--all the same style and even from the same maker, just with different handles. Heck, "Gibbs" on NCIS only marries redheads.

I had a ten year stint collecting Microtechs. Then I switched over to Emersons. I have a few Grahams. If I won the lottery I'd jam a Strider in every pair of jeans I sleep in. People, times and finances evolve.

Frankly, I'd never buy a knife I didn't like just because it had good financial futures. What good is a toy you can't play with? Even among ourselves we sneer when we say "safe queens." However, we bust with pride showing friends the treasures we enjoy.

Anyone still think that Knife Collecting is a good Investment after reading these posts?

Kevin,

First, if you want to shoot down my statement point by point...bring it. I suspect you are passing as you can't.

Next, I have never claimed to be breaking a story about Loveless. But you would be amazed at how many people didn't know that.

Next, Kevin if Jerry Fisk stopped making his knives today and had someone come in and make them. Marking them exactly the same way as Jerry did previously. Would the Fisk's you have be worth more, the same as the Fisk knives not made by Jerry or would the be worth less than the Fisk knives actually made by Jerry.

If your knives actually made by Jerry would be worth more...why would they be worth more?

If the would be worth the same amount of money why would that be.

I already know what the answer to this question is...I just want to have you on the record explaining which knife is worth more and why.

C'mon guys.

Abraham Lincoln used to tell a tale about a city boy who passed a farmer and a horse. The tenderfoot asked the farmer what a horse of that nature cost, and the farmer responded, "Are you buying or selling?"

To me a Loveless is worth absolutely nothing, except work, worry, expensive insurance riders and far too much capital tied up in a piece of metal with holes drilled into it. In my house a knife like that is the personification of a "white elephant."

It eats, it sleeps, it does nothing and using it detracts from it value.

If that knife cost me $20K and I sold it for $21K I would make a thousand bucks profit. If I sold my handmade Emerson I would make almost 1,400 dollars profit. It's like buying a car. The real price is the not the new car price or your trade in value, it's the real money "in between" that has to come out of your wallet.

Recently in Wisconsin our local paper told the story of special vintage cheese that is worth far more than a Loveless. Had I known that I would never had bought high-end knives, but instead bought the futures on wheels of local cheese.

Interesting thread, everyone has an opinion when it comes to money.... :)

That's a popular misconception. "Money" is not wealth. If get a raise in pay but your rate of production remains the same, you have not created 'wealth,' you have created inflation. If you melt down a bucket of discarded wheel weights and make pristine bullets, you may not have created money, but you have created something that was not there before, and that's 'wealth.'

Anyone still think that Knife Collecting is a good Investment after reading these posts?

It could be... if you buy 'low' & sell 'high'. Some people are good at it; some people are better; and some people aren't sure what they're doing. ;)

Les, that's the point. If you're just grinding 'dollars' you may actually be losing wealth. If I owe you a dollar, and I delay paying it back to you for six months, the 'value' of the dollar is lost by half. How so?

If I deprive you of a dollar, not only are you denied any profit, but you have to borrow a dollar to pay for things like housing, food or supplies. You can't even invest on speculation with a dollar you do not have.

Even declaring a 'tax loss' denies you months of utilizing that dollar.

This is such a devastating loss of wealth that you can deduct "unsold inventory" on your taxes. You cannot believe the drain on wealth. You have already invested time, man-power, raw materials, wear on tooling, rent, employee benefits and any loss relating to utilizing a line of credit.

And there your 'wealth' sits, gathering dust on a shelf.

I would rather make 10 bucks on a profit relating to wealth than a Loveless I may never sell. A potential sale is simply that, a "potential." The actual accumulation of wealth is real.

Kevin,

First, if you want to shoot down my statement point by point...bring it. I suspect you are passing as you can't.

Next, I have never claimed to be breaking a story about Loveless. But you would be amazed at how many people didn't know that.

Next, Kevin if Jerry Fisk stopped making his knives today and had someone come in and make them. Marking them exactly the same way as Jerry did previously. Would the Fisk's you have be worth more, the same as the Fisk knives not made by Jerry or would the be worth less than the Fisk knives actually made by Jerry.

If your knives actually made by Jerry would be worth more...why would they be worth more?

If the would be worth the same amount of money why would that be.

I already know what the answer to this question is...I just want to have you on the record explaining which knife is worth more and why.

Les, this thread is not about Loveless knives and can be a very productive thread without our back and forth.
So I suggest you start a thread someplace else if you want to continue the Loveless discussion.

It could be... if you buy 'low' & sell 'high'. Some people are good at it; some people are better; and some people aren't sure what they're doing. ;)

Buy low sell high refers to any investment. Gold, Real Estate, Stock Market, etc. That won't work for most because you didn't include the most important aspect of knife investing. Having the connections to get the knife for a price where you can realize a profit. Even if you can realize a profit it isn't enough for me to take it as a serious investment.

Back