KITH 2019 WIP

Back to the issue at hand. Bruce I forgot to mention that you can avoid some warps altogether by making sure you normalize the steel before you heat treat it. I used to think that was just for forged blades but someone here posted it can also benefit stock removal blades because there may be stress in the steel from the mill. I will try to find his post and provide a link.

Back to the issue at hand. Bruce I forgot to mention that you can avoid some warps altogether by making sure you normalize the steel before you heat treat it. I used to think that was just for forged blades but someone here posted it can also benefit stock removal blades because there may be stress in the steel from the mill. I will try to find his post and provide a link.
All this info is really helpful. I appreciate it.

If I cant get it straight in the temper by shimming it. I use a brass hammer and a wooded log that has a little bit of a concave surface and put the blade on the log and smack. if that won't work I have jig that I clamp the blade too put the hole thing in a pan of water, so the edge is in the water and use a torch to the spine

Its not about not wanting to share. Sometimes its a time issue. It takes a lot of time to type out a how to post that so many others have already done.

I see you already found a good one by Karl. Straightening during the temper seems a lot more efficient and safer than cold bending or re heat treating and subjecting your blade to multiple quenches and a host of other issues that might go along with that.

Sometimes its worthwhile to investigate several options instead of jumping on the first thing you see then swearing by it like gospel.

If you knew about that method from Karl, then why are you still re-heat treating? Or did you just find that method by Karl moments ago?
And yet, you have time for this reply. All I was asking for was guidance . Not a treatise on metallurgy.

And yet, you have time for this reply. All I was asking for was guidance . Not a treatise on metallurgy.

I was specifically referring to typing out a whole detailed post on how to straighten blades......THAT takes time.

Since you guys want to push this issue.....I made a passing comment (without a ton of time at the moment) that suggested there might be better ways to straighten a hardened blade than cold bending....when YOU ASKED if you could have done something better!

I am not obligated to explain myself. It might go over better if some of you guys took a few seconds to Google a topic, then research the results and formulate a plan THEN ask questions if your stuck here.

Instead, it can sometimes appear like entitlement when you ask here and want the direct answer, right now.....for free, without any effort on your part ahead of time. Then you want to hassle me because you don't like the 'tone' of my text and want to debate with me how much time I have to spend on what??

What I DON'T have any more time for is this thread. You and Chris got it handled.

Adios.

Well, I guess you told me. Thanks. Just to let you know, I have NEVER felt entitled to anything. All I asked for was guidance.

I think when experienced knife makers see us make bone head mistakes that destroy hours of hard work, they may get frustrated for us. This site has a wonderful mix of knife gods and knife dogs. Lol. I often wonder if Boss likes semordnilaps as much as I do. It’s funny how all of this ties together. Many semordnilap fans claim that there are but two sources of unconditional love, but I say nay, there are three. The third is the love of a teacher for her or his subject. Word play strikes again. Teachers get upset not because the student is incapable. All decent teachers know that all students are capable. The frustration arises when the teacher realizes that very few people share the same thirst for knowledge in a particular area of study. In practical and immediate terms it leads to bad grades and broken blades. I think in the long haul it probably all works out. Like the Man upstairs, and your favorite lap dog, the teacher is always there. When any of the three show their teeth, it is only because the path we choose is so often the hardest one available.

Last edited:
I think when experienced knife makers see us make bone head mistakes that destroy hours of hard work, they may get frustrated for us. This site has a wonderful mix of knife gods and knife dogs. Lol. I often wonder if Boss likes semordnilaps as much as I do. It’s funny how all of this ties together. Many semordnilap fans claim that there are but two sources of unconditional love, but I say nay, there are three. The third is the love of a teacher for her or his subject. Word play strikes again. Teachers get upset not because the student is incapable. All decent teachers know that all students are capable. The frustration arises when the teacher realizes that very few people share the same thirst for knowledge in a particular area of study. In practical and immediate terms it leads to bad grades and broken blades. I think in the long haul it probably all works out. Like the Man upstairs, and your favorite lap dog, the teacher is always there. When any of the three show their teeth, it is only because the path we choose is so often the hardest one available.
Huh ?

lol .... Y’all crack me up. Every single word in my post was very specifically and deliberately chosen. When my posts sometimes look off.... one should sometimes look deeper. I put a little effort into my above post. “Hmmm.... what’s he doin?.... He’s ridin’ fer Lane.”

Edit: Sometimes my posts are just absolute foolishness too... so...

lol .... Y’all crack me up. Every single word in my post was very specifically and deliberately chosen. When my posts sometimes look off.... one should sometimes look deeper. I put a little effort into my above post. “Hmmm.... what’s he doin?.... He’s ridin’ fer Lane.”

Edit: Sometimes my posts are just absolute foolishness too... so...
HUH ?

Your words are to big and complicated for me..... semordnilap? I don't even want too take the time to look it up. It also makes me wonder how much you've had to drink?;)

I clamp in temping, using dimes and nickels too get the blade straight. Every time I tried to re-heat treat the blade and straighten it just made it worse.

Thanks , Ty. And I'm with you ...that Zito is quite the character , ain't he? He must think that we're all rubes. I admit it, I am!

Thanks , Ty. And I'm with you ...that Zito is quite the character , ain't he? He must think that we're all rubes. I admit it, I am!
I don't think he believes that we are rubes. He tries to make light of those unwilling to educate themselves with a single use of a search function. Most of what I've learned in knife making has come from countless hours of reading, and pulling my hair out while failing. If knifemaking were easy with quick fixes for everything, we'd all be John Doyle.

Your words are to big and complicated for me..... semordnilap? I don't even want too take the time to look it up. It also makes me wonder how much you've had to drink?;)

I clamp in temping, using dimes and nickels too get the blade straight. Every time I tried to re-heat treat the blade and straighten it just made it worse.

semordnilap is palindromes spelled backwards. It's also an actual word. I had to look it up. Here's the definition from yourdictionary.com

semordnilap. Noun. (plural semordnilaps) A word, phrase, or sentence that has the property of forming another word, phrase, or sentence when its letters are reversed. A semordnilap differs from a palindrome in that the word or phrase resulting from the reversal is different from the original word or phrase

I know I took all the fun out of it :D

Do not get down on John anyone please. I have benefitted from his advice more than once and I bet many others have too. His work is world class and he does answer questions directly too. Text is an extremely inefficient means of communication I bet if we had all been in a room together having the same discussion it would not have ended like it did. I Admit I have read many books (most of them blacksmithing books) and done hours of internet research and somehow I missed or forgot about the straighten during tempering. All in all I learned something new so it’s a good day. If I know an answer (or think I do) I am willing to give it. If another wants you to search and find it so be it nothing says we all have to be the same. In fact in some cases the “teachers” I have learned the most from we’re not always the ones I liked the best. (Disclaimer: That quote was not about @JohnDoyle)

Do not get down on John anyone please. I have benefitted from his advice more than once and I bet many others have too. His work is world class and he does answer questions directly too. Text is an extremely inefficient means of communication I bet if we had all been in a room together having the same discussion it would not have ended like it did. I Admit I have read many books (most of them blacksmithing books) and done hours of internet research and somehow I missed or forgot about the straighten during tempering. All in all I learned something new so it’s a good day. If I know an answer (or think I do) I am willing to give it. If another wants you to search and find it so be it nothing says we all have to be the same. In fact in some cases the “teachers” I have learned the most from we’re not always the ones I liked the best. (Disclaimer: That quote was not about @JohnDoyle)

Straightening during tempering (second temper cycle) works very well. If I don't get a blade perfectly straight after the quench, then I use a fire brick, a large c-clamp, and some quarters to shim the blade in appropriate locations to allow the blade to flex a little past straight in the other direction. Then re-temper. Be careful doing this on the first temper cycle, because the blade will be very brittle, and you might snap the blade trying to flex it.

Back