Hello from central Florida

sethshaun

Hey y'all, I'd like to not be a stranger so I will say hi. So here is how the obsission started. Dad said, "I think I want to make knives"....and I said ok (on the inside I said yeah ok ;) this won't work). So he got a Wayne Goddard book and played around on the Internet...and since he worked in a metal shop for 30 some odd years....he felt pretty confident about it. He started to gather tools and materials and I just kinda hung out in orbit ocasionalyu peeking at what he was up to...(I was too busy reloading ammo and messing around with my critters). Then I noticed he was serious and said how hard is this? He gave me the book, I read it and realized how many of the tools we had already. So I got ahold of an old saw blade and some nice wood from a friend of mine makes custom writing pens. So I drew a shape and consulted pop, Mr. Goddards book and the web as needed. I learned a lot from that first one and felt the obsession to make a better one. I ordered some 1095 (it was the simplest steel I could find) and some stainless tubing and got some camel bone from a knife guy,Dan Piergallini, (very nice and informative gentalmen) at the Lakeland gun show. This second knife turned out leaps and bounds better than the first, IMHO.
Two weeks later I went to the gator knife show in Lakeland and saw many inspiring knives. I was strolling through and noticed a style of knife that really stood out to me and sitting there was a guy named Steve Davis. I asked how far he lived from a certain gunstore/pawn shop close to the Smokies. I had recognized his art from the knives in the store. He answered many of my beginners questions and pointed me to this forum. He was right it's a fantastic site!

Last edited:
Welcome to the Dog pound !

We've got a social group here for Floridians and we're developing quite a little crowd of Flori-Dogs.

http://www.knifedogs.com/group.php?groupid=1

Check it out. I'll send ya an invite to the group.

Bummer that you just missed out on the Hammer/Knife in hosted by one of our Forum members right here in central Florida.

-Josh

Thanks for the warm welcome! I put some pics on my profile. Can't do much on my Blackberry. Have to wait till I get home to the computer. On jobsite during week.

Hi sethshaun!
hello there

Welcome to the pack.

+1 on the invite to hang out with us Flori-Dogs.

Glad to have you here :D

Mike

ok back at the house...

There are four pictures of my second knife and one of my first...if i uploaded right.

Constructive and Destructive criticism welcomed. I will get better. I was a little impatient at times. But I learned it will pay off to do things meticulously.

Thanks all

Attachments

• DSC06701.jpg
    DSC06701.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC06703.jpg
    DSC06703.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC06694.jpg
    DSC06694.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC06695.jpg
    DSC06695.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG00048-20091218-1952.jpg
    IMG00048-20091218-1952.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 7
Thanks

I know a guy with a wood shop in West Layafette. He looks like Hank Williams jr. in camo pants and a flannel shirt. He wears an Aussie style hat and always has a mug of coffee.
I have fished the Tuscarawas, Walhonding, and Muskingum rivers. Beautiful area!

Sethshaun, you mentioned in your profile you were into the mountainmen era. Do you know Jim and Rose Jones? We belong to a long rifle club with a primitive camp ground in Kilbuck, Ohio.

I lived around the Vero Beach, Cocoa Beach, Fla. area for about 30 yrs, then moved back here.

I can't figure out who you are talking about that looks like Hank Williams Jr.

Larry

I do not know of either Mr. or Mrs. Jones.
Its been a long time since I've been to Ohio. I Forgot where Killbuck was so I looked on the map. Makes me want to travel! I have read an Allen W. Eckert book about the Ohio River Valley area, very interesting history.
Enjoy all the snow. Its 60 with bluebird skies here cool 1

Back