Hamon Tutorial -LOTS of pics

I have bought a LOT of steel from Kelly over the years and he is an EXCELLENT guy

however, the 3/16 1095 I have gotten from him in the past had weird little squiggly lines in it when HT'd and polished, i tried a bunch of different things to get a good clean finish but with no success.
as far as I could tell it was only the 1095 that had this issue and it could have been from an old batch. thus possibly no longer an issue.

his 1084 has always been excellent.

Hmmm.... I haven't really notice a problem w/ the 1095. I'm curious, when was the last time you purchase 1095 from him? Like you said, it might have been a bad batch or something??? :les: I have been very happy with what I have recieved.

I have never purchased any 1084 from him. As far as I know, the only 1084 he sells these days is powder. His 1080 bar is nice though.

I also think it's great that he ships for free on orders over $100. :thumbup:

It would be great to hear from others who get their 1095 from Kelly. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had similar experiences.

Erin

I have bought my 1095 exclusivly from kelly, and while not doing a hamon, or polished to the extent in this tutorial, I have taken it to a 2000 grit hand finish with no issues. As you stated, could very possibly be from a odd batch.

God Bless
Mike

yep, my bad, I just switched over to a new server and haven't got all the pictures reloaded yet.

i'll get it done asap

Believe it or not, I was going to ask a question about hamons today. That's a great tutorial and I appreciate you posting it.

Hello brad and stephen , Nice work Stephen . brad ,I noticed your post about 5160 . You can do a fairly nice hamon with it . Quench is 1 sec in water and then right into oil.

Attachments

• 5160%20tanto%20022.JPG
    5160%20tanto%20022.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 45
This is still one of the best tutorials out there. Stephen, how critical have you found it to be to match the satanite patterns on both sides of the blade? Have you seen weird things happen when they weren't? Thanks...

Great tutorial, thanks for taking the time to put it up.
One question for Stephan or others, if the blade ends up needing some extra sanding (say because you're an idiot and didn't do enough before HT) when do you worry about grinding away the hamon? Not major stock removal or anything, but having to start out at around 100 or 150 grit to get rid of some belt marks.

Back