Grinding problem

calharkins

I have a Coote's two wheel grinder. When I place the plunge line against the belt, the belt has a tendency to slide to the side usually away from the plunge line. It is more pronounced when grinding on the platten, but it also occurs when hollow grinding on the drive wheel. The biggest majority of my belts come from Tracy, so I don't think it is the belts. This is playing havoc with my plunge lines. Any help would be appreciated.

well try not pushing on it so hard. i assume it must be a finer grit belt or may be wore out.
vern
:bud:

It does it with all grits. It also does it with new and used belts. It could be that I am pushing too hard though. I really appreciate the input!!

Whenever my belts have done this it was because the tension was to loose.
When flat grinding and I lay into it a little to hard it will do it to.

My belts were doing it and I worked about an hour moving wheels in and out when you get the wheels in line it wont do it anymore or at least mine didnt.

This is an inherent problem with 2 wheel grinders. You're going to have some more belt wander. Tighter belt tension will help.

--nathan

Try putting electrical tape in the center of the top wheel around 1/16" thick. This may help your tracking. If it does you may want to take the edges of the wheel down.huh1;)

I am going to try to adjust the tension. Not sure how to on that grinder. Will get hold of Coote. I that doesn't work I will try the electrical tape. Appreciate any and all ideas!!

Cal, next to the handle on the Coote there is a spring that can be loosened/tightened for tension. Thats the only way I figured out my problem. Give it a shot.

Either way Norm will walk you through it...very cool dude.

Chris

I am going to try to adjust the tension. Not sure how to on that grinder. Will get hold of Coote. I that doesn't work I will try the electrical tape. Appreciate any and all ideas!!

Just from what I have learned on a Coote.

1. Check every nut and bolt. That would include the tracking screw.

2. Check your wheel alinment. Make sure the bushings have not wore down and getting some play.

3. You might try a heavier spring. Yes it is a pain in the butt to change out.

4. I adjusted the bolt that held the spring to get more tension.

5. Check for play in the tension roller bearings. you could have heated it up and developed some play.

I like my coote but there are problems and draw backs as with anything.

I called Norm and talked to him. Real nice guy! I adjusted the tension on the belt and it fixed my problem. Thanks for all the help!

Back