Frustration!

J. ROSA

When was the last time you guys were frustrated with something you were working on and why? I have had my first sword back from HT for a while and while I was working on it the motor on my grinder took a dump on me. I have a 2HP that I had stored but I'm renting my space and it isn't equiped with 220V. I wired it to 110V but I know on start up it is drawing over 20 amps because I keep blowing the 20 amp fuses in my switch. I'm not sure I want to take out the fuse in my switch and try to run it with that much current since I'm unfamiliar with the age of the wiring. I know it could be done but..... My landlord was cool enough to look for a new breaker and said he would help me see if we could wire in the 220V. That was a week before Christmas which seems like forever now. I have no idea when he'll be able to help me and I really don't have the cash to grab another motor right away:mad: To add to the frustration I just saw a post from someone making a sword with some of the ideas I had been planning on for about a year. Can't blame that one on the motor.....

So it looks like I'll be hand sanding this thing until it's done. When was the last time you were frustrated?
Here's a pic of my never ending project in motion....
attachment.php

Attachments

• NEWYEAR.jpg
    NEWYEAR.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Does taking a blade back out to the forge to straighten it and then grinding the fire scale off and discovering that it now has a 1/2" crack in the edge count?

Doug Lester

I just replaced a motor on my 14" bandsaw that crapped out right before my very first show. It was free on craigslist.org but i had to drive 100+ miles to get the new motor. This happened after my HF horizontal metal cutting bandsaw won't accept 64.5" blades. They have to be special orderd. It's been a while since I used it. The new blades should arrive in another week. If you're not getting frustrated you aren't doing it right.

Pat

Frustration is what keeps us humble. Ive got a pile of scrap steel in my shop and at one time every piece started as a knife. I was frustrated every time I screwed one up, but on everyone of them I learned what doesn't work.
Just last week I screwed up a customer's knife just because I was in a hurry. Lesson learned: by rushing I have caused the knife to take twice the time it should have.
You just have to learn to look at every mistake or SNAFU from a positive angle. Maybe as you are hand sanding you will discover a new technique(sp.?) that will help you in the future.

Sean

I have been trying to complete four small hunters for a new model. The first three I got to finishing up the shaping of the handles, when I came back the next day the liners split. So I cut out new handles epoxied those to the liners, then they split. At this point I think the cold has something to do with it so I make and epoxie some more handles, but bring they home to keep from getting cold. It seems to work. So I proceed to move on to shealths. Well Get them shaped and they hold to tight so I modified them and they don't hold at all. So I thow them away. And it happens on the next ones. AHHHHHH!!!!! Keep in mind it is taking me four weeks to get only two of the four knives done. Now I am on the last two, and I still can't get the sheaths to work right. I have never been so frustrated with a knife before. But it only drives me to find a way to make them work. Even if it means not selling one for another couple of weeks.

Jake

I'm on my first blade. Ya I know a little frustration. About every few minutes going from that is looking pretty good to well I just screwed up that grind line.

The best thing for frustration is to get it all out. The next time something like that happens pick up a big hammer and give it a fling.

Oh, make sure the that the neighbor or his dern cat is not in the way. Well the cat's OK as long as the neighbor don't see!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::D

I can feel your pain brother! I have been building a KMG clone and at last count I think I have broken three or four taps and one is still in the piece of steel but that is still cheaper than a big ticket item like a motor!!!

Sometimes you just got to smile to keep from crying! :)

Back