First knife after 4 years

LR Adkins

About 23 yrs ago I started a knife for someone and he moved before I finished it so I just threw the blade in a box and forgot about it. My brother was digging around and found it and picked out a piece of whitetail antler, handed it to me and said it was time for me to stop messing around and start making knives.

So thanks to my brother this is what I came up with. I was surprised how much out of the groove I am.

The blade is SS (can't remember what one) it was pretty beat up so I couldn't get all the blemishes out when I reground it without thinning the blade too much.. The blade was etched with vinegar to get the rustic look. The guard is textured brass. The handle is whitetail antler and curly maple with black spacers.
I know there are a lot of places for improvement I just didn't seem to have it in me to do better on this one. I made the sheath too.

Thanks for looking and criticism is welcome.

Sorry about the pics they're taken in the shop.

Attachments

• IMG_2913.jpg
    IMG_2913.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_2912.jpg
    IMG_2912.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2917.jpg
    IMG_2917.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2921.jpg
    IMG_2921.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 74
Great work man!
Everything goes with each other. Design, materials and sheath. Love the shape of that guard.
It sure doesnt look like you have forgotten how to make them...this one is saweet. That sheath is way cool. Cant wait to see what your next looks like.

Thanks guys, I guess it's not too bad for an old crippled guy. I got some steel from Aldo so I need to dream up another knife.

Larry

I made knives for about 20 years and I moved and never made any for 5 years untill last fall. And I did the same thing started out again finishing knives that I had started, some a little rusty I just tried to make them look older.
You made this one turn nice.

Nice package. I remember making a frontier knife several years ago and it was harder to do than a slick bowie especially the sheath. Yours looks to be very well done and a perfect matched pair.

Thank you everybody, you have made my day.

I was really surprised how hard it was to make this knife. I don't remember it being so hard before. But now it's done and I"m excited to get on the next one.

Larry

I made knives for about 20 years and I moved and never made any for 5 years untill last fall. And I did the same thing started out again finishing knives that I had started, some a little rusty I just tried to make them look older.
You made this one turn nice.

Thanks, Art. I think it's harder to rework an old blade than grinding a new one. I started on another old one before this Bowie and really messed it up. Looked worse than my first knife.

Larry

Nice package. I remember making a frontier knife several years ago and it was harder to do than a slick bowie especially the sheath. Yours looks to be very well done and a perfect matched pair.

Thanks Bruce that means a lot coming from you.

I can only dream of becoming as talented as you. My main style in the old days was the frontier style so I have had a little practice. I would like to get into some of the newer, better steels and see what I can come up with.

Larry

If you have the interest again, and it sure looks like it with the results you are showing in that Bowie and sheath, it will continue to hold your attention and draw you in. I hope to see more knives from you in the future. Frank

Larry,

My story is similar to yours. I started making knives back in the late 80's and them put it aside to raise a family and concentrate on the full-time job. Well now the kids are grown and starting there own families so I am getting back into the groove after about twenty years away from it. Maybe by the time I am ready to retire from the full-time job I can make some retirement income from making knives. I forgot how much I loved doing it until I finished some of the blades I had started twenty years ago. Keep up the good work!2thumbs

Back