Finding exotics

Ernie Swanson

SASSY PINK LUUNCHBOX KNIFE MAKER
I was just thinking about getting some mammoth ivory for a special build.

Where are some good places to order Ivorys, bone, stag and other exotic materials?

Ernie, if you search "knifemaking supplies" you should find most anything you're looking for. Give USAKS your first shot and then check out the others.

Ernie, if you search "knifemaking supplies" you should find most anything you're looking for. Give USAKS your first shot and then check out the others.

I have already done that!!

I was just wondering what places some of the other makers are getting their exotics.

What'cha looking for Ernie, anything specific?

I have a fair selection of exotic woods if you're just looking for one or two handles worth.

I am not sure about woods yet I am still learning what they all are!!

I am just looking for good suppliers of stuff like mammoth ivory, ivory, and other bones and exotic materials.

I had an idea for using mammoth ivory on a special build but cannot really find any place that has a good selection of scales for good prices.

Charles at Fineturnage.com is a pleasure to work with, also try www.Tide-mammoth.com they are easy to deal with, cheap, have free shipping and ivory all comes with documentation from fish and game dept.Also check the suppliers in this forum for stabilized exotic wood such as Box Elder Burl, Maple and such. I just bought some superb California Buckeye from Ernie the stencil guy. Also BRUCEM always has something special for sale.

Steve

Last edited:
sandy at giraffebone.com has some giraffe bone that is dyed and stabilized. It really looks a lot like fossilized mammoth ivory and tooth. Really good product at a fair price. Would be a whole lot cheaper than mammoth.

FineTurnage was at the AKA show He had some awesome stuff it was stabilized some was dyed it was all great

For woods, try doing a search for exotic woods. Some of these vendors sell 1/2"x3"x6" samples pretty cheap, Cheaper than most scales of the same type wood.

For woods, try doing a search for exotic woods. Some of these vendors sell 1/2"x3"x6" samples pretty cheap, Cheaper than most scales of the same type wood.

Oops I search erotic wood. That was down right scarey. Hell the refrigerator has pop ups and the Cat has a virus.

On serious side. Most knife scale is stabilized. if your using samples stay with the denser woods like Ebony, and Ironwoods.

Last edited:
Back