Double guard and framed handle, rear bolsters too

Bruce. I sure do. It came from a very special tusk! Its a honor and a pleasure to see it on one of your knives!

YOUR DA MAN!

Turned out great, a work of art.
Trying my first frame handle thanks for the inspiration. A couple of questions, is that a Paul Long sheath and do you get attached to your work and keep any of of your creations or as one knifemaker said "I'm so sick of it by the time it's finished I can't wait to see it go"

Turned out great, a work of art.
Trying my first frame handle thanks for the inspiration. A couple of questions, is that a Paul Long sheath and do you get attached to your work and keep any of of your creations or as one knifemaker said "I'm so sick of it by the time it's finished I can't wait to see it go"
Thanks Mark,
I look at these knives and guns just like raising children. I love and nurture them and when they are 18 I kick em out of the house. Its always nice to see them again though.

WOW!!!!!! I was blown away by the WIP and final photos of the knife there, but that engraving just really set it off. Sometimes engraving gets carried away with being to complex, but that is so tastefully done - WOW!!!! Nice sheath also. That would be beautiful in a display case.

Great job - and a GREAT WIP that taught me a good bit.

Ken H>

amazing work, thank you so much for taking the time to share this with us, i know it takes a lot of time to make a WIP like this and it's really appreciated, i learn alot from your WIPs.

Great WIP! Lots of tips and tricks for a new guy to learn here.

As a new guy I have what is probably a real rookie question. This is the first frame handled assembly I have seen. Other than allowing for the bolsters of the style you used, what is the benefit of the tapered tang with wrap around frame handle instead of a full tang?

Hello Eddie,
thanks for the question.
Most all framed handle construction is done so a forged blade can have handle slabs and rear bolsters. A full tang knife is generally stock removal method although sometimes it can be a forged full tang. But a forged full tang can't have a slide on one piece double guard. There are some exceptions to this rule like a Bob Loveless guard that slides on from the front or an English bowie that has a narrow tang that allows the guard to slide on from the back.
Great WIP! Lots of tips and tricks for a new guy to learn here.

As a new guy I have what is probably a real rookie question. This is the first frame handled assembly I have seen. Other than allowing for the bolsters of the style you used, what is the benefit of the tapered tang with wrap around frame handle instead of a full tang?

Wow, I feel like I have been in a graduate class for knifemaking. Your planning and execution of this knife is nothing short of phenomenal. Beginners like me gain so much information from your WIP's, it is like a free college education. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I second what others have said...you should write a book. ...Teddy

Wow, I feel like I have been in a graduate class for knifemaking. Your planning and execution of this knife is nothing short of phenomenal. Beginners like me gain so much information from your WIP's, it is like a free college education. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I second what others have said...you should write a book. ...Teddy

Thanks Teddy,
I took all the "hands on" classes I could all through school. Woodshop and Art class my favorite, English was my worst subject. We could bring knives to school in those days but nobody made them. The farm boys got to forge stuff but I didn't take Ag Shop, too much tobacco spitting.

Bruce, I love this thread, I learned so much, thank you for taking the time. And your knife as always is fantastic.

Thank you so much for posting this thread.

The education it provides is incredibly worthwhile not only for knifemakers, but also to help buyers understand the work that goes into making a high-end custom knife and the price they command.

I really could have used the mirror trick you mentioned early on in the thread when I made my one and only knife :)

Hey Bruce, Very much enjoyed reading this. Picked up some real good tips. Stuck with a broken wrist at the moment and can't play in the shed, so I've decided to go through all the wip's that I can find. should help fill in the time.
By the way, the file guide is brilliant.

Doug

Back