Double guard and framed handle, rear bolsters too

Thanks for the great WIP! I've never built a knife like that but this thread makes me want to give it a try.

Thank you so much for posting this WIP Bruce - it's up to your usual GREAT work.... both in the knife AND as a teacher. I do consider a teacher of your calibre the highest calling. THANKS!!

Now, on the engraving - I'm sure once I see it my eyes will pop, but it sure looks good as it is<:)

Ken H>

I noticed that too in these pictures as they are at least double actual size. I need to look at the slots under magnification and fill the empty ones if needed. I see they could use the India Ink dye trick to turn them blacker.
"Good Eye" Austin :)
Do you leave part of the slots filled and part not filled?

Austin

Last edited:
Brad here are some shots of the "screw slotting" files and spacing tool. They are designed to file a slot in a screw head. Gun makers use these allot as most all screws have a much narrower slot than store bought screws. I go through Brownells and buy screw blanks that have a super thin slot and not threads. I cut my own threads and slot for special applications. The file is "safe" on both sides and only cuts on edge. Here are a variety of screw slot files, the major differences are the width of the file. Also shown is one I made myself by grinding off both sides of a needle file.

IMG_3728_zps872419eb.jpg

Here is a shot of a couple slot files and the handmade spacing tool. The spacing tool was also made from a file and had both sides ground a little I can find it in the drawer and not be tempted to use it as a file anymore.

IMG_3729_zps83f8bccf.jpg

And finally the set-up. The spacing tool fits into the first slot and spaces the next slot and so on down the liner. Simply count the number of strokes for each slot so they match pretty well. You can go back and cut them deeper here and there if needed.
Make better sense?

IMG_3730_zps4856b610.jpg

Great build, thanks for posting it. I do like engraving but I must admit I like the knife as is, super clean.

Ok I will be the first to ask I can't seam to figure it out.

Last edited:
Another Great knife Bruce. Thanks for these wips, I learn new stuff on every one.

Cant wait to see it after engraving and sheath.

Bruce, you are simply the master of the craft and the WIP's! Thanks for taking the time to post all of this. I have to give your tools a plug here too. I am the proud owner of your carbide file guide as well as your new carbide handle broach. I have to say that those two tools have made my life so much easier and have greatly improved the quality of my work. They are a pleasure to work with to boot! Beautiful knife! Thanks again for the WIP!

Bruce, you are simply the master of the craft and the WIP's! Thanks for taking the time to post all of this. I have to give your tools a plug here too. I am the proud owner of your carbide file guide as well as your new carbide handle broach. I have to say that those two tools have made my life so much easier and have greatly improved the quality of my work. They are a pleasure to work with to boot! Beautiful knife! Thanks again for the WIP!

Im glad you liked the WIP, Thanks for buying my tools!

I thought I was imagining something. Thought there was no way that nice of a knife could be left like that. Beautiful knife and awesome WIP. I'm looking forward to all your past and future WIPs. You should definitely compile a book of all your WIPs. I'd buy it just to keep in the shop.

thanks. Austin Colvin

I finally got the bowie back from the engraver and polished up this morning. I suppose this WIP is finally finished. Darn, its been fun.
Thanks everybody that viewed it and came back for each new posting.

Here is my shots of "The Doctors Bowie"

IMG_3768_zps3977682d.jpg

7d745ded-38db-4656-889e-f66794b406ab_zpsfd14fbb3.jpg

IMG_3771_zps543d6543.jpg

Bruce. Thats a real looker! Love the flow and the engraving just as elegant as any I have seen!

I love the look of that IVORY! Its better looking and has more texture and stuff then most of the stag I have seen!! :)

Thanks for doing the WIP for us Dog's

God Bless YA
Randy

Bruce. Thats a real looker! Love the flow and the engraving just as elegant as any I have seen!

I love the look of that IVORY! Its better looking and has more texture and stuff then most of the stag I have seen!! :)

Thanks for doing the WIP for us Dog's

God Bless YA
Randy

Randy, do you recognize this ivory? I'm glad you parted with it. :)

Back