DISC Grinders Who uses them??

Michael, what is that graver sharpening thingy? We need a close up.. How do set the angle of the graver grind?

Michael, what is that graver sharpening thingy? We need a close up.. How do set the angle of the graver grind?

The angle is set by the distance the graver extends from the lexan template. There is a spacer that is used te set a consistant length. The distance from the top of the metal rest to the top of the paper is 1/2"

heres a link.
http://airgraver.com/sharpening.htm
http://www.engravingschool.com/private/Lindsay Sharpener.htm

The 1" thick metal plate is screwed to the blue plate.

Michael
www.adammichaelknives.com

I use my 8" for squaring bolsters, handles; and for doing some initial shaping on the handles also.

Wow some nice disc grinders. I'm going to post a picture of a disc grinder I made years ago and has done well , but I see there are a lot nicer disc grinders. Maybe some day when I retire I'll clean it up again and paint it, beings I'm 70 years old Ha Ha Ha
100_0756.jpg

100_0758.jpg

Last edited:
I have 2 these and are by far my most used tools. The fist one is set up with a beveled disc with a 3/4 hp motor and a rubber back up disc and is the one that I use for blade grinding it has a drum switch for reversing. The second one has a flat disc 1hp motor and is set up with VFD and a foot swich for speed control. This on has a table on it and is used for finishing and odd jobs.

Tony

I didnt have one until i was always seeing two or three disc sanders in every shop tour i looked at. I thought that must be a valuable tool!
Almost as valuable as my drill press now.
For the low cost its a must have.

I mostly flatten scales,square up profiles,sand the flats on hollow ground knives,Clean up pin stock i cut down. I have a couple failed attempts at dovetail bolsters with it also.:eek: It wasnt the sanders fault but it will be valuable for that.

Those are sure nice setups, guys!
I have a cheepo disc/belt machine I use a lot, plus I have a homebuilt 12" disc sander buried in my storage shed, along with other equipment I don't have room to set up until I do some room overhaul in the shop.

Well heck John, I can make room for your unused disc machine! :D We'll just pile it in the truck when I come to help you load up that big table some day... :D

Hey, just pulling your chain buddy. You're already too generous!

Back