Desert Ironwood Gentleman's Knife

Travis Fry

Here is one I just finished for a customer in England. The blade is mirror polished ATS-34, bolsters are 416 stainless, and, as you can tell, the scales are desert ironwood with hidden pins. The OAL is 8 inches. The blade is 3.5 inches. I also made the sheath and did all of the tooling on it.

Stainless-Ironwood-Forum.jpg

Hey Travis,
The knife is a real beauty!!! Very nice work on the sheath as well and I see your customer is left handed. Wade

Terrific knife and sheath, Travis. I have watched your work for a year and a half, now, and you just keep getting better and better.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Ted, my wife prepared the picture, and didn't include one of the whole sheath. I'd put one up, but she's the Photoshop whiz and just left town to visit the folks. I just make knives, and am pretty dumb when it comes to that kind of thing. Wade, I honestly hadn't even noticed that the sheath was left handed, and I don't know how that slipped by me. Maybe it's the fact that during the time I've been making this combo I am also buying a house, starting a new position at work, taking a section of the CPA exam, raising a toddler, etc.... Looks like I've got some more work to do. Denny, I'm flattered that somebody pays attention! I think if I can upgrade from my Craftsman 2x42, then I'd really be rockin'!

Last edited:
Keith, You bet I am one happy customer.

Ever since I saw this knife or should I say the previous one that Travis made I wanted one so I contacted him and asked if I could have the next one that he made, here it is a real beauty too!!

As for the sheath I will be having it as my son is a lefty I've asked Travis to make me one in basket weave style so we will both be able to carry it. I guess he will be showing it when it's finished.

When I get the knife it will be going to be engraved on the bolsters with Acanthus leaf pattern, I will post it when it's done which I guess will be two to three months.

Looks good.Should be one happy customer.

God bless,Keith

Travis got in touch with me and showed some work done by Doug Arnew out of Austin Texas, after a few emails I've decided to let him do the engraving so it should be less than a month before it's finished.

Travis will be posting some pictures as soon as he has them.

Back