Damascus & Wrought Iron

cote

attachment.php

Mike Norris Damascus with wrought Iron guard & pommel, handle is Stabilized "WSSI" Buckeye Burl, 5 3/4" blade with an overall length of 10 1/2".
First time using wrought iron, a friend of mine "Greg Obach" offered to forged this small billet for me from this old chain link.
Any comments are welcome.

Attachments

• MND. F.jpg
    MND. F.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 119
Last edited by a moderator:
Mike Norris Damascus with wrought Iron guard & pommel, handle is Stabilized "WSSI" Buckeye Burl, 5 3/4" blade with an overall length of 10 1/2".
First time using wrought iron, a friend of mine "Greg Obach" offered to forged this small billet for me from this old chain link.
Any comments are welcome.

PHENOMENAL WORK!!! One question, I'm curious how you got so much character out of the wrought iron? Did you etch it? if so for how long and what kind of acid? It looks great! Rex

Rex, I first tried a sample with ferric chloride and didn't like the results so I used muriatic acid for about 10 min.

Hey Gill, another beauty! You just keep making them better and better. Have to remember the muriatic acid - I have some wrought iron that Indian George sent me. It was made from old anchor chains.

Thank you Denny and Greg thanks for that wrought iron....really enjoyed working with it, I'll have to take a drive out to that old logging camp and see how much of this stuff I can snatch up.

Rex, I first tried a sample with ferric chloride and didn't like the results so I used muriatic acid for about 10 min.

Thanks Gil, thats a great tip, I've tried Feric, the dilluted kind you get from Radio shack at different strengths, I never cared for the results that got either, I'll definitely try the muratic acid, yours looks GREAT! THANKS, Rex

Back