Cru-ForgeV and Madagascar Rosewood

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
Here's a hunter I finished quite some time ago and never got around to posting pics. I was trying out a small bar of Cru-ForgeV steel I was given. It's a good steel but a MAJOR pain to hand sand! It laughs at sand paper of any grit. I contemplated if anyone would mind a nice hand sanded 36 grit finish. :D ;) With my sometimes ignorant and stubborn determination, I managed to get a nice 600 grit hand sanded finish. I actually found the performance of it not all that much better than my W2 or 80CrV2 blades so I don't see the payoff being worth the extra effort.

This knife was really hard to photograph. The blade is shiny and trying to not have it all washed out doesn't show the true colors of the rosewood handle. The handle is true Madagascar Rosewood, the REAL Bois de Rose. It has a beautiful deep burgundy color. It is not brown or black.

Specs:
Hand forged from Cru-ForgeV
8 1/4" overall, 3 3/4" blade, .165" thick at the ricasso with full sharp distal taper
Rounded spine with filed and rounded thumb grip
Hardened and etched 1084 steel fittings
416 SS thorn and vine fileworked spacer
Madagascar Rosewood handle
Thorn fileworked SS finial nut

All comments and discussion are welcome.

I also found a picture of the sheath I made for it and threw that in here too.

Wow, when I first looked at it is was line "that's so simple and elegant".

Then I started looking closer and saw all the little details. Beautiful knife. Just wow

Once again Amazing, my eye keeps going to the file work on the guard, sets it off nice. One thing I have to ask, and I know some things are sacred but how do you get that bevel on the butt?

Very Nice Work John Doyle. I've seen you post several pictures of this type of knife, and every single one of them has had a very high level of attention paid to the details. So much so, it's difficult for me to imagine making something like that myself. I'll just keep admiring your work, and maybe someday I'll make something that's half as good as what you're doing.

Don

Thanks again guys.

Don- you're much too kind. Thank you. :)

Once again Amazing, my eye keeps going to the file work on the guard, sets it off nice. One thing I have to ask, and I know some things are sacred but how do you get that bevel on the butt?

It's become sort of a trademark of mine but it's not a secret. It's really not too technical. It's all done by hand, first by knocking an even flat chamfer on the corner all the way around then dishing it out with a round file to the desired radius. Time, patience, a steady hand and an eye for symmetry is all that's required. On a rounded butt end like this knife, where the lines meet on the top (spine) side of the handle, there has to be a little bit of carving and blending because you're going from an outside radius to an inside one up there on the top.

Hope that made sense. Let me know if it didn't.

Back