Bowie 2019 KITH Sean

Sean Jones

When I worked in IT naming conventions were a big thing. Thus I decided to name this thread the way I did to avoid confusion. Since there may be a number of similar WIP's for the KITH I thought this might help. Just a suggestion for sure. But I think it might help with clarity.

Any rate I have been working on a design for my Bowie. I'm planning on using AEB-L and send it out for heat treat. While my heat treat process is getting better I'm not entirely comfortable with it as yet. Plus my new forge is also a WIP. Too many projects as usual. :)

Here is my proposed design. Overall length is about 11 1/2 inches with a 6 1/2 in distal taper blade. The handle to the back of the Ricasso is right at 5 inches. Which may be a touch long. Unsure about that at this point. AEB-L is 5/32" from Alpha Knife Supply. Handle material will be Claro Walnut. 416 Stainless fittings and probably Corby Bolts as it will be a full tapered tang. I'm unsure about spacers. I have both Blue and Red .060 G10. I'm thinking the Red would have the best contrast. We'll see.

Still a lot to think about. Though I'm planning on getting the profile cut out this week and sent out for heat treat sometime next week. That is unless some one points out a glaring error...which is certainly possible :D

When I worked in IT naming conventions were a big thing. Thus I decided to name this thread the way I did to avoid confusion. Since there may be a number of similar WIP's for the KITH I thought this might help. Just a suggestion for sure. But I think it might help with clarity.

Any rate I have been working on a design for my Bowie. I'm planning on using AEB-L and send it out for heat treat. While my heat treat process is getting better I'm not entirely comfortable with it as yet. Plus my new forge is also a WIP. Too many projects as usual. :)

Here is my proposed design. Overall length is about 11 1/2 inches with a 6 1/2 in distal taper blade. The handle to the back of the Ricasso is right at 5 inches. Which may be a touch long. Unsure about that at this point. AEB-L is 5/32" from Alpha Knife Supply. Handle material will be Claro Walnut. 416 Stainless fittings and probably Corby Bolts as it will be a full tapered tang. I'm unsure about spacers. I have both Blue and Red .060 G10. I'm thinking the Red would have the best contrast. We'll see.

Still a lot to think about. Though I'm planning on getting the profile cut out this week and sent out for heat treat sometime next week. That is unless some one points out a glaring error...which is certainly possible :D
View attachment 69413
That is really nice!

Thanks guys...now getting it from paper to steel will be the proof in the pudding. That's going to be a big jump :)

I do need to give credit for this design to Lloyd Harding. Here is the original design I started from.

I realized after I looked at it again that the handle is exactly the same. The blade changed significantly though. Thus I felt it was important that I give appropriate credit.

Here is the original text from the collection.

Lloyd Harding
This is a tribute to Lloyd Harding, Western Australian Master knife maker, 1921 to 2003.
It is only a small sample of his work, much of it is unrecorded.
It is intended to give inspiration and practical assistance to new and established makers.
104 templates and 300 drawings have been scanned to scale to allow them to be printed as templates.
All are free to copy provided the due credit is given to Lloyd Harding and copies are distributed free of charge with intention of assisting the art of knife making and remembrance of a true craftsman and gentleman. Not for sale or profit.

I have two AEB-L blades roughly profiled for the KITH. I still need to refine them a bit before I send them in for heat treat. And also drill some holes. :D Some rough edges here and there to tackle. While they are out for heat treat it will give me some time to finish up the Bird and Trout knives I've been working on.

Thanks Volkert. Now that I have them profiled out I see a few things I would do different. But I'll go with what I have for now.

Back