Bowie 2019 KITH Sean

Sean Jones

Well-Known Member
I went to put the scales on the knife today and discovered that one side of my tapered tang wasn't completely flat. :eek:
I've spent most of the day attempting to get it flat by sanding on my granite plate. I was getting frustrated so I did some very light passes on my grinder to move things along. It helped a little. I didn't want to over do it. But I still have about a 1/64 of an inch deviation at the back of the tang. Not much but most definitely still visible.

Tomorrow I'll keep at it. I'm done for today.

Oh...and did a little bit on the sheath. I'm really pushing things to get this all done on time.
 

opaul

Well-Known Member
I went to put the scales on the knife today and discovered that one side of my tapered tang wasn't completely flat. :eek:
I've spent most of the day attempting to get it flat by sanding on my granite plate. I was getting frustrated so I did some very light passes on my grinder to move things along. It helped a little. I didn't want to over do it. But I still have about a 1/64 of an inch deviation at the back of the tang. Not much but most definitely still visible.

Tomorrow I'll keep at it. I'm done for today.

Oh...and did a little bit on the sheath. I'm really pushing things to get this all done on time.
Overcome and adapt! It will turn out just the way you want! Just think - you can celebrate with turkey tomorrow!
 

Sean Jones

Well-Known Member
Overcome and adapt! It will turn out just the way you want! Just think - you can celebrate with turkey tomorrow!
Thanks for the encouragement opaul. I must admit I've been a bit frustrated with it. Heading out to the shop now
 

Sean Jones

Well-Known Member
OK...finally some progress. I've done the final glue up of the scales. I ran into two problems. First was getting the tapered tang flat. I swear I'd think it was flat and I'd go back the next day and there would still be a gap. I do believe I finally got it though.

Secondly in the process of testing for flatness with the scales I opened up the holes for the Corby bolts too much, essentially ruining them. So I've gone with my original choice, Claro Walnut. Hopefully I can finish this up by Friday. I also have the sheath cut-out and will be ready to dye and stitch tomorrow.

Unless I have any more serious setbacks I think I'll still make the deadline... whew!Final Glue-up.jpg

Leather sheath - final.jpg
 

Sean Jones

Well-Known Member
Done...the photos are lousy. The best I can do for now. I need to get my real camera up and running again.

I'm fairly happy with the knife. It cut's paper :) The sheath is so so. It's my first knife sheath. It holds the knife. That's about all I can say for it.

There are lots of things I'd do differently knowing what I know now.


Knife and Sheath #2.jpg
Tapered Tang # 1.jpg
Bolster.jpg
Blade Left Side.jpg
 
Top