blade trashing

Squawsach

At what point should a knifemaker stop trashing blades when grinding them. I just came in from the garage after trashing a blade on the grinder. It's a little off. I can fix that. Oh crap! I'm kinda new to knife making and I don't trash as many blades as I once did but at some point this blade trashing needs to stop. Does it ever stop and if so when?

Good question. I have no answer, because I've ground a bucket-full of blades I trashed, and only a few that were good enough to sell. *shrug*

I came inside, cooled down a little, and decided to try again on another profiled blade. I trashed it. Two blades in one day. That's a new record for me. I'm going to take up knitting. Anybody need a scarf or sweater?

Can you knit a sweater for a goofed-up blade? :D

Hang in there bro. Mistakes are just lessons to learn.

Thanks. I know there are a few people who feel my pain. I'm tired of learning. I just want to be able to walk up to a grinder and make perfect grinds everytime. Maybe then my customers would start getting their knives on time and my blood pressure would stay normal.

For me, learning when to stop grinding was as important learning to grind. Practice and experience are the only things that will get you there and even then you will occasionally trash a blade. We all do.

Some of us develop bad habits that are hard to break. One of mine is that I tend to press pretty hard against the wheel when grinding. I have to remind myself that sometimes a light touch against the belt is needed.

Another lesson that I have learned is that if I don't "feel it", I should quit grinding and go do something else. This may only apply to me, but some days I just cannot grind worth anything. Sometimes my head just isn't in the game and all I am going to do is ruin steel and have to do it all over again. Other times it seems like the most natural thing I could be doing and the grinds just flow like butter.

Last edited:
Another lesson that I have learned is that if I don't "feel it", I should quit grinding and go do something else. This may only apply to me, but some days I just cannot grind worth anything. Sometimes my head just isn't in the game and all I am going to do is ruin steel and have to do it all over again. Other times it seems like the most natural thing I could be doing and the grinds just flow like butter.

I agree with Mike 110% right here! There are days when your a diamond and days when you're the coal. After doing this for quite a while you find that you can distinguish those days rather quickly. Only through experience can you learn to walk away from the grinder and do something else when there is a little black cloud hovering over the grinder. It was the hardest thing to teach my apprentice. Oh he thought he'd mastered it and he looked at me on one of my "bad grinding days" and actually said that he "never seems to have those days" with a chuckle, cocky grin, etc. Well, as time went on he's eaten those words many times over. And he's become a better maker because he can walk away. Just my 10 cents - adjusted for inflation. Take care and God Bless.
CustomSignatureBarHD.png

Best regards and God Bless,
Wayne

Full Time Maker
Member of the Professional Knifemakers Association
www.jarrettknives.com
Are you a Dawg yet?

Be sure to check out the new Jarrett Knives Forum

Stop by my table at
The A.G. Russell Knife Event

Im with Wayne and Mike, There are days when my MO JO isnt there and then days that it seems everything is RIGHT! Then there are days I should probably stay out of the shop entirely!
the trick is knowing these days and riding out the highs and waiting out the lows.. learning from the mistakes. and evolving your methods.. Like Big Ernie.. he made a grinding jig so he can do better and more accurate grinds.. That may not be the answer for you.. But its a example of evolving that I thought was cool!

Most of all, HAVE FUN!

Don't feel bad. The other day I trashed 4 blades to get 1 good one. Get an bunch of mild, junk steel or aluminum and practice. I do it all the time. Do you think there might be a market for "Grinding Practice Knife Blanks" ? I could cut them on low quality just to get the pattern. When you are done, throw it away or keep it as a pattern.:confused:

I went back to the grinder. Third time was the charm. I have a very nice grind almost finished. I kept telling myself "you don't know what you're doing", "you suck at knife making", "you're going to trash some perfectly good steel", "you need to stick to archery for a hobby" as I was grinding. Yes, I talk to myself when nobody is looking. My little pep talk made me slow down and pay attention. Took me twice as long as usual but it saved me time in the long run. Maybe my MO JO is back. We will see. Now all I have to do is get through the heat treat without issues and I may get a knife made.

For whatever reason I also have my good and bad days at the grinder. If things don't feel good that day I'll back off and do handles or leather or whatever else needs done.

I've never completely trashed a blade to the point I got no good out of it though I have had to redesign several. If it still doesn't come out right make some sort of blade and heat treat it that you can use for edge testing and destruction test. It lets you take your frustration out on it.

I hate to say it...but If it where not for the pile of "Trashed Blades" in my shop....I would not be as far as I am today. I am sure that pile will grow over the years. Its just a reminder to me to take more time and not try and rush a build.

Like the guys said above...learn to walk away. Has been working like a charm for me and can touch them up now rather than scrap em.

That is not to say I dont throw a fit or curse the blade I am grinding over and over in the process.:D:D Its just one of those things we have to deal with if we want to continue this knife-making monster! 2thumbs

Keep at it buddy.

Chris

Don't fret....it's a normal thing in the life of a knifemaker. When I first started, and finally got a "good" grinder (a Wilton Square Wheel), I knew nothing about grinding...before I toned it down by installing a slow down drive pulley (it's a single speed machine), my success rate was about 1 out of 5 blades. I actually had an empty 5 gallon bucket sitting beside the grinding bench....and about every two weeks would haul a full bucket of trashed blades to the scrap yard.

Mike makes an excellent point...sometimes the most difficult thing is knowing when to stop grinding. I defeated that trap by realizing that if I didn't go as far as I needed to on the grinder....I could always go back to the grinder later...if necessary.

Even after all these years at it, there are still days that I walk in the shop, and "Mr. Murphy" walks in right behind me. Once I realize "he" showed up that day, the best thing I can do is just grab the dogs and a fishing pole, walk out and lock the shop for that day.

In the end, the difference between a "Knifemaker" and a "GOOD Knifemaker" is.....a GOOD Knifemaker has learned how to correct or hide his/her mistakes! :) We all make them, and any knifemaker who tells me they don't needs to have a serious heart to heart with the man in the mirror!

Don't feel bad. The other day I trashed 4 blades to get 1 good one. Get an bunch of mild, junk steel or aluminum and practice. I do it all the time. Do you think there might be a market for "Grinding Practice Knife Blanks" ? I could cut them on low quality just to get the pattern. When you are done, throw it away or keep it as a pattern.:confused:

Considering I've just trashed 2 perfectly good pieces of stainless in the last 2 days there just might be. Should be finishing up profiling the 3rd tonight or tomorrow. I'm almost considering now just profiling the blade area. This way if I have to scrap it I didn't waste all the extra time doing the rest of the knife. Get a good grind then profile..... Whole new approach maybe :eek:

I have trashed quite a few myself. There will always be some margin of error in making knives but they are just lessons to learn from. take a lesson from Thomas Edison, i have not failed i have just found 10,000 way that just won't work.

Stick to knives. I'm afraid you'd make me a three armed sweater, LOL.

Just be patient and keep working. I find that I make most of my mistakes when I try to get in a hurry. Double check your grinder speed and slow it down a little. Then double check your belt and make sure it's good and sharp (dull belts cause you to use too much pressure). Lastly, take a deep breath and remember to take your time and be patient.

When I use these steps, I find I do alot better. Then I get all excited and want to go faster and start messing up. You have to keep reminding yourself that this is a time consuming activity. If it were quick and easy, we'd all be masters.

If you need practice, I had a M.S. recommend buying wood the same size as my steel and practicing on it. He said that when I learned to control my grinding to where the wood came out looking like I wanted the knife to look, it was time to start on steel.

Don’t blame your hobbies for your blood pressure. It is your job that’s done that to ya :D
If you don’t make mistakes you’re not doing anything.

Great thread. I am sure we all feel like we can't get a good grind to save our lives at one time or another. I went 2 solid weeks of daily disasters.

Then I woke up one Saturday and ground 5 good blades in a row. I can't explain it.

Back