Best job on a 1x30?

K Waters

No matter how bad they actually are for knife making, I started to wonder, what is the best tasks that can be performed with your 1x30 grinder??

For me, dovetailing the bolsters and handle material on the small disc.

All the real grinding happens on my KMG.

Kelly

Depending what the top wheel is I am going to be using it in folder making. You can make a stand to lay it horizontally and then build a platform to surround the top wheel to smooth the inside curves and small areas of the spring an end of tang.

I modified one with a ground down skateboard 1 " wheel on top of the top wheel for finger grooves and lots of other tasks. It gets daily use in my shop. The small wheel rides about 2' above the top wheel.

I have had one for years. I split the 1" belts down to 1/2" and use it for getting into those little hard to reach places.

Great ideas guys, I started with a Delta 1x30, but it has seen limited use lately.

I like the idea of setting one up for horizontal use, it should work better as an edge finishing tool.

Also, hadn't thought about splitting the belts, that should let it get into a small radius.

The Delta is so under powered that they will hardly grind a blade bevel.

Thanks everyone.

Ok, I'm gonna admit something. If you think that is small, I built my first knives with a DynaFile. It's an air-powered, 1"x16" belt sander. Still use it for some small detail work. :eek:

I took the disc off of my Craftsman 1x30 and used it to mount a 9" plywood disc to a larger motor. Now I have a 9" disc sander that works great. I still use the 1x30 belt for burred edges, clean up etc. Been thinking about turning it into a horizontal grinder.

Larry

I don't have a 1x30 but I do have a Delta 1x42... No, it's not ideal but this is a hobby for me and it's what I could afford. I am a med student and when I'm not in school/studying or spending time with my wife and kids I like to have hobbies that have nothing to do with med school and knife making is my primary hobby. We live in an apartment and I only have our small deck to work on, using a tarp-covered chest freezer as my work bench. I have a set of plans for a NWG but it will be years before I will have the money to put one together - sure it would be fantastic, sure it would improve my knives dramatically but the truth is my money goes to tuition and diapers so I'll make due with my gutless, weak, too fast Delta. My next project should be replacing the platen because holy crap is the stock one awful!

I know your original question is what are the best uses for these underpowered grinder-wannabes and for me, right now, the simple answer is everything.

Back