Adjustable latches

Chuck Gedraitis Knives

I made a balisong a few months ago that had a new style of latch. The customer wanted me to adjust it so that the tension would be a little tighter.
I easily adjusted it and then the light bulb went on.

So would anyone be interested in an adjustable latch so you can adjust the tension on your balis? This would also allow you to tighten the latch from any type of wear.

Let me know what you think and I will post some pics soon.
Thanks,
Chuck

I think this cold be a very good idea, depending on how the adjustment is made. Looking forward to some pictures.

Someone has used an adjustable latch before. I think it was Larry Davidson. The D latch or something like that.

Sounds like a great idea to me. I have adjustable latches on every bali I own - but they only "adjust" in one direction and it is pretty permanent. You guys call it a grinder... lol.

I would post pictures of the D latch, but I'm not sure if that is ok or not. It is a bitchen design.

dlatchpic.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]D'latch[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The D-Latch was created by custom knifemaker Larry Davidson. A common problem that occurs with balisongs is that the lockup of the knife (either in the open or closed position) loosens over time. The D-Latch solves this problem by the use of an adjustable screw that allows the latch to be tightened up as needed.[/FONT]

great idea!

it's a problem I have with the 4x series from benchmade.
there is a lot of wear on the tang pins of those knives, because of that, the latch is useless

Ikoma and Korth came up with an adjustable latch for their Pulsar project...

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Only a handful of these have been made to date and this was never perfected.

That is pretty slick too, what isn't perfect? thread in the adjustment, tighten the jam screw to hold it there.

Those boys in Brazil are pretty clever! :)

I think the idea is common, similar to the idea of using bearings in the handles. Just natural advancment to the balisong knife design.

For mine I used a piece of threaded tubing and put a button head screw in the top. All you have to do is tighten or loosen the screw head.

Attachments

• balisong #34.jpg
    balisong #34.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 26
Back