A special trailing point hunter

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
Here's another trailing point hunter that is a prototype for a project I have coming up in the near future. This one even has a guard. ;) :) Never having cared much for trailing points in the past, these are starting to be kind of fun and there will probably be more coming down the road.

Specs:

Hand forged from 1075 steel, clay quenched
8 3/8" overall, 4" blade, .190" thick at the ricasso with nice distal taper
Rounded spine and ricasso edge
German silver guard and spacer
American black walnut handle

All comments and discussion welcome.

TrailingPt1_zpsff3f3848.jpg

TrailingPt2_zpsf731e0da.jpg

TrailingPt3_zps765b1d58.jpg

TrailingPt4_zps304fb6b0.jpg

TrailingPt5_zps2f805427.jpg

Nice knife! I like the coined edge on the spacer it is a nice touch. Let me rephrase that I like the whole knife

That is one fantastic hunter, John! The lines, the hamon, the walnut and spacers all come together just right.

Thank you guys. Some REALLY nice compliments here that mean a lot to me. Thanks for posting.

How do you get the spacer like so? I have to say that this might just be my new favourite knife, it just works.

Very nice and clean John. I'd say if this is a proto, it's time to get on with the show.
Thanks for sharing!

Thank you again guys for the kind words.

How do you get the spacer like so? I have to say that this might just be my new favourite knife, it just works.

Hi Liam. I get everything all shaped and ground and polished like I want. Then I take the knife apart and take just the spacer and start filing little grooves in it to get looking like the edge of a coin. It takes a little time but is pretty straight forward. :)

Back