A new request…

I might be stepping into deep doodoo. But here goes. My survival experience is civilian and military related. As a civilian I carry whats typically a hunter style but the blades lengths tend to 5.5-7 inches. As military I carried issued knives or copied what the locals used. In Panama it was a small machete. In Germany it was British issued survival knives. My fellows in the PI used bolos made by the negritos. The locals knew what it to to survive in their environment so we copied them.
As far a bushcraft batoning. Its gotten ridiculous. The American bushcraft of batoning concept was stolen from the Canadians. Their idea was to open up wood to get to the dry center and the branches weren't any larger than your thumb. You used that to get a hot enough fire to dry/ burn larger wetter wood.
Military survival knives tend to heavy spines long blades and bulky handles. Bushcraft knives seem to follow Scandinavian styles.
And lastly. As far as knapping a knife blade as suggested by one person. I was taught it. Needless to say, the video world sure makes it look easy. carry lots of band aides
Thanks fir letting me ramble
The govt always knows what's best for any given mission. :p
10987882-1207-4938-8023-4C380E4C39EB.jpeg

Sorry to say. GEE! That looks knife looks really familiar.! Ironically the thought process at that time was since most of the returns were focused on the tropics latitudes a small machete like tool was appropriate. With the exception of the saw back, thats an exact replica of the machete they gave us for survival training in Panama . Of course it would be familiar to the astronauts since they took jungle survival training therein the 60' and early 70's

Sorry to say. GEE! That looks knife looks really familiar.! Ironically the thought process at that time was since most of the returns were focused on the tropics latitudes a small machete like tool was appropriate. With the exception of the saw back, thats an exact replica of the machete they gave us for survival training in Panama . Of course it would be familiar to the astronauts since they took jungle survival training therein the 60' and early 70's
Just a funny, I'm aware it wasn't intended for use on the moon.

Bruce nailed it. Even though we knew there were no trees for shelter, they still insisted that they needed a machete. I suspect there were some kickbacks going on with the big knife makers of the time. OR..Maybe there's still something up we dont know about!

Bruce nailed it. Even though we knew there were no trees for shelter, they still insisted that they needed a machete. I suspect there were some kickbacks going on with the big knife makers of the time. OR..Maybe there's still something up we dont know about!
I mean, I take a basket full of knives with me everywhere I go. I keep 2 MORAS in my truck, an axe, a hatchet, a shovel, a folding saw, all kinda tools. And a FUBAR. I'd flatly refuse to strap my butt to a rocket and not take a knife...

I knew it was a funny! The bugs hadn't got to moon in 60/70's. However since we didn't have laser guns so we needed protection from other things . Course i never figured out what they were going to whittle tools from since the Martians deforestation the moon early on

OK - I have a couple comments.

I read something a few weeks ago about U2 spy planes getting bugs splattered on their windshields at 70,000 feet (or whatever operating height is). They couldn't figure out how they got there - turns out, the bugs got launched up there when the Russians were doing nuclear tests, the bugs died, and just got stuck up there

Comment number B - the US military (I think Navy in particular) are testing freakin' laser weapons now. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.popsci.com/technology/us-navy-laser-weapon-test/?amp

And point the third - there's a company making real, working gauss rifles, now!

(Apparently you can buy 2 for $25 at Tractor Supply)
b2479d499a2c853e453eece765b2ace9.jpg

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

Oh, and it's a well known FACT that the astro-nuts were equipped with NASA pocket knives and specially developed wooden survival sticks to keep the moon monsters away.

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

I might be stepping into deep doodoo. But here goes. My survival experience is civilian and military related. As a civilian I carry whats typically a hunter style but the blades lengths tend to 5.5-7 inches. As military I carried issued knives or copied what the locals used. In Panama it was a small machete. In Germany it was British issued survival knives. My fellows in the PI used bolos made by the negritos. The locals knew what it to to survive in their environment so we copied them.
As far a bushcraft batoning. Its gotten ridiculous. The American bushcraft of batoning concept was stolen from the Canadians. Their idea was to open up wood to get to the dry center and the branches weren't any larger than your thumb. You used that to get a hot enough fire to dry/ burn larger wetter wood.
Military survival knives tend to heavy spines long blades and bulky handles. Bushcraft knives seem to follow Scandinavian styles.
And lastly. As far as knapping a knife blade as suggested by one person. I was taught it. Needless to say, the video world sure makes it look easy. carry lots of band aides
Thanks fir letting me ramble
Get out of the jungle and you might need a thicker blade than the typical machete. Most of the stuff that you would cut in the rain forest is secondary growth and it is soft. As for "bushcraft" knives, they are for carving spoons and cups. Thats is why the Scandinavians makes lots of silly little Mora knives and BIG HONKIN" AXES. :p

Look here, there are plenty of documentaries where astronauts end up in really bad situations, and they go from bad to worse because they didn't bring a knife. Forget Apollo 13- that was a walk in the park. Imagine landing in a world run by damn, dirty apes who tie you up and put you in a tiger cage! You'd wish you had a knife right then. If there's anything the Duke boys taught us, when counterfeiters tie you to your cousin in an abandoned barn that trusty Buck 110 they missed on your belt comes in reeeeaaal handy-like. Ain't no damn dirty ape gonna keep the Duke boys hostage, no sir! The Duke boys wouldn't go riding no rocket off into space without a knife.

Look here, there are plenty of documentaries where astronauts end up in really bad situations, and they go from bad to worse because they didn't bring a knife. Forget Apollo 13- that was a walk in the park. Imagine landing in a world run by damn, dirty apes who tie you up and put you in a tiger cage! You'd wish you had a knife right then. If there's anything the Duke boys taught us, when counterfeiters tie you to your cousin in an abandoned barn that trusty Buck 110 they missed on your belt comes in reeeeaaal handy-like. Ain't no damn dirty ape gonna keep the Duke boys hostage, no sir! The Duke boys wouldn't go riding no rocket off into space without a knife.
Truer words were never spoken. Not on this here forum anyhow.

hey daniel.....i am with you......somebody needs a med adjustment....sharp rock......really???

Back