A new request…

Rlol. Never heard it called survival scenario before. Survival situation yes, but never a scenario.. only time we used the term scenario was to play "what if "survival games with students.
Verax ..believe it or not there are some places in the world where cell phone don't work.
Edward, you MacGyver'd it. Smash phone, take out battery and use the snare wire on contacts to start fire

still carry a fire starter kit in day pack. Flint/steel, char cloth, hemp rope, magnifying glass and a BUTANE LIGHTER.

still carry a fire starter kit in day pack. Flint/steel, char cloth, hemp rope, magnifying glass and a BUTANE LIGHTER.
The good bushcrafter method. Carry a tin with 38 different ways to start a fire and then talk about having a knife for when you have lost everything else.......except for the flint that was in your fire starting box. LOL

Rlol. Never heard it called survival scenario before. Survival situation yes, but never a scenario.. only time we used the term scenario was to play "what if "survival games with students.
Verax ..believe it or not there are some places in the world where cell phone don't work.
Edward, you MacGyver'd it. Smash phone, take out battery and use the snare wire on contacts to start fire
Cell phones do not work here. I guess I'm doomed ! Oh, wait . I've lived 72 years without one. Oh heavens, how could that be ?? Luck, my boys, good luck.

Cell phones do not work here. I guess I'm doomed ! Oh, wait . I've lived 72 years without one. Oh heavens, how could that be ?? Luck, my boys, good luck.
LOL it's funny how "lost" you feel once you get used to something and it's suddenly gone.

Like when the power goes out.

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

Ummmm? A knife is one of the handiest possible things you could have in a survival situation. LOL
Please explain this to me. I am, and believe me, ALL, ears.
Thanks for understanding what I meant.

Sorry. NO I didn't understand what you were talking about. And i have no clue as to your point for your comments. Like Daniel said, a knifes a real handy survival tool. Bruce is lucky. And MacGyvering a fire with a battery aint my first choice. As for survival fire starting. Preparation more important than the means of ignition.

Sorry. NO I didn't understand what you were talking about. And i have no clue as to your point for your comments. Like Daniel said, a knifes a real handy survival tool. Bruce is lucky. And MacGyvering a fire with a battery aint my first choice. As for survival fire starting. Preparation more important than the means of ignition.
I totally agree. And ya bud, you did. I have learned who is smart here and who isn't thus far.

What exactly do you need explaining on? My statement is fairly self-explanatory. You are either trolling or need serious professional help my friend
Ummmm? A knife is one of the handiest possible things you could have in a survival situation. LOL
I asked details to this comment of yours, while your comment is "fairly self-explanatory", I am asking seriously, in theory, how is a knife going to help me in a survival situation? I'm assuming that it is not polished to a >300grit finish so, no signaling possible. I AM NOT SAYING THAT IT WOULD NOT BE AN INCREDIBLY USEFUL TOOL. I'm asking as you said, how it is 'one of the handiest possible things I could have in a survival situation", well, first I'm asking how many ONE is of. Then I'm asking how you come to that conclusion instead of -- Iodine, a cell phone, im not sure whether to include clothing in this we will keep the obvious out... Sugar. PVC. (Sounds odd but it produces free hydrogen (extremely low power explosive) at 140F so, possible?) Please tell me what I can do with a knife that I cannot with a sharp rock? Rock napping is relatively easy.

I asked details to this comment of yours, while your comment is "fairly self-explanatory", I am asking seriously, in theory, how is a knife going to help me in a survival situation? I'm assuming that it is not polished to a >300grit finish so, no signaling possible. I AM NOT SAYING THAT IT WOULD NOT BE AN INCREDIBLY USEFUL TOOL. I'm asking as you said, how it is 'one of the handiest possible things I could have in a survival situation", well, first I'm asking how many ONE is of. Then I'm asking how you come to that conclusion instead of -- Iodine, a cell phone, im not sure whether to include clothing in this we will keep the obvious out... Sugar. PVC. (Sounds odd but it produces free hydrogen (extremely low power explosive) at 140F so, possible?) Please tell me what I can do with a knife that I cannot with a sharp rock? Rock napping is relatively easy.
Huh? Dude get on your meds. Seriously.

cea5874526d58b5e5e3e1d9fd80719a5.jpg

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

If you were hopelessly lost and needed to survive for a longer amount of time than simply waiting for rescue, there is no single item which would be more valuable than a knife. A knife gives you the ability to make tools, which is exactly why primitive archeological sites are littered with cutting tools. A cutting tool is the basis of a society.

You need shelter, warmth, water, and eventually food. Even in the tropics where you aren’t going to freeze to death you will likely die of exposure if you can’t get out of the sun or up out of the water or out of the rain. You may survive with nothing, for a while. But sooner or later you need a way to provide for yourself.

In that moment, the number one useful tool would be a knife. A knife changes your status from “hopeful, desperate scavenger” to someone who can actually make things. Like a shelter or a raft. You go from hungry forager to hunter. God forbid that you are lost in an area with predators, because you will feel a lot better if you could make a spear.

I can imagine no scenario where your chances of survival do not increase with a knife.

Since we're talking real survival and the modern bushcraft knife, one point I will reluctantly concede is thicker, or at least appropriately thicker, is better. Never thought that I'd think that because since I started fooling with knives I've been chasing thinner. And thinner is more better most of the time. But if you really got to get to dry wood in the rain forest, it helps to have a bit of meat in the spine, and a little bit of a thicker tip, and generally just a notch or two thicker than a similarly sized hunter. If someone says "baton" specifically, 4" and under is 1/8", 4" to 5.5" or so is .160" ish and 6" and above at least 3/16".

I might be stepping into deep doodoo. But here goes. My survival experience is civilian and military related. As a civilian I carry whats typically a hunter style but the blades lengths tend to 5.5-7 inches. As military I carried issued knives or copied what the locals used. In Panama it was a small machete. In Germany it was British issued survival knives. My fellows in the PI used bolos made by the negritos. The locals knew what it to to survive in their environment so we copied them.
As far a bushcraft batoning. Its gotten ridiculous. The American bushcraft of batoning concept was stolen from the Canadians. Their idea was to open up wood to get to the dry center and the branches weren't any larger than your thumb. You used that to get a hot enough fire to dry/ burn larger wetter wood.
Military survival knives tend to heavy spines long blades and bulky handles. Bushcraft knives seem to follow Scandinavian styles.
And lastly. As far as knapping a knife blade as suggested by one person. I was taught it. Needless to say, the video world sure makes it look easy. carry lots of band aides
Thanks fir letting me ramble

Since we're talking real survival and the modern bushcraft knife, one point I will reluctantly concede is thicker, or at least appropriately thicker, is better. Never thought that I'd think that because since I started fooling with knives I've been chasing thinner. And thinner is more better most of the time. But if you really got to get to dry wood in the rain forest, it helps to have a bit of meat in the spine, and a little bit of a thicker tip, and generally just a notch or two thicker than a similarly sized hunter. If someone says "baton" specifically, 4" and under is 1/8", 4" to 5.5" or so is .160" ish and 6" and above at least 3/16".
I don't know.....the undisputed bushcraft knife champion by a large margin is a mora. Just saying.

Back