A. Cole Photo Gallery

This was a dagger I based off of Gerber's Mark II. It was a project that really stretched me. Can't wait to do another dagger. It's of 1075 with a mustard patina, 416 ss dovetailed bolsters, black canvas micarta, and brass.DSC_14561.JPGDSC_14631.JPGDSC_146511.JPGDSC_1454111.JPG

An EDC loosely based off of Murray Carter's neck knife pattern. This one is in machine finished D2 and Ironwood. It has a crossdraw sheath, which is really comfortable, even if I messed up the stitching a bit. This knife would be my personal choice for hunting or edc.DSC_143144.JPGrr.JPG

First folding knife that I built from scratch. D2 and green micarta. This one didn't turn out great, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would. If you are used to making fixed blades and are interested in stepping off into folders, I would highly recommend trying your hand at a spring back (slipjoint) folder. The makers mark is actually clear, the picture just messed with it.abb.JPGDSC_1409ss.JPG

These were a couple Classic hunters. I wanted to make these after reading some old books by Loveless, Dozier, etc. On the lacewood's sheath, I found that dying all the edges of your sheath really gives it a professional look, at least in this case. Because of the way the guards are, you can design the welt so that the knife snaps in place. I obviously took that from the other makers before me, but had never implemented it to this effect.DSC_1464.JPGDSC_1465.JPGDSC_1470.JPGDSC_1471.JPG

Here a couple clip point hunters. Dovetailed bolsters and tapered tangs. You probably realize that I do a lot of dovetailed bolsters. That's because they form a mechanical bond that holds the handle slabs on. Not that I'm worried about the epoxy failing, but you know... And they look cool. I think I ground the top one too thick, which is a bummer. The bottom one was probably a little thick too. It was a custom order and has more handle pieces than I've ever used in a knife.DSC_1462.JPG11111.JPGDSC_1466.JPG

Finally to the most recent knife! This was a custom order and the new owner says he really likes it. Sculpted zebrawood handle (from the owners G-Pa.) D2 blade, which was probably not the best steel choice on my part, but should work. It is 11.5 in. long. The sheath idea was stolen from Free Hill Blades, it can be worn vertically or horizontally. And dog.DSC_1620.JPGDSC_1619.JPGDSC_1624.JPG

This was the most recently finished knife, a bowie in 440c, about 12 in. long. I tried taking some pictures inside this time, didn't work too poorly, but I will continue to take pictures outside until I get the hang of it. I really liked this build, but the machine finish bugs me, because I kept getting worm lines from the belt splice. I also had to refinish the blade because the sheath was scratching it, as I was saying in the other post. MM2.JPGMM3.JPGMM.JPGMM4.jpg

Classic hunter in hollow ground D2 and either walnut or maple that a friend gave me. Took a very good edge. Tried buffing it on a wheel I'd used for metal and it stained the butt grey. Tried to get it out, but no can do. Tips for the next one? Other than don't buff on a dirty wheel. :)MM8.jpgMM7.jpgMM9.jpg

Back