2 hunter WIP

Haha! It's a Cummins, same mill as the harbor freight variety with a different name. I've used quite a bit for small non knife related jobs. I think cutting a 3/4" X 1" slot in 1-1/2" 1018 is just a bit much.

Burned up a switch in the power feed this morning! I'm starting to think that something is trying to tell me that a domed pin jig should be simple. When I started designing it I was going to copy Nick Wheelers jig. Then I thought I have a mill, build it heavy duty for bolsters, and light gun smithing work. It won't be that hard!:confused:
20190120_082459-1030x773.jpg

Damn man that really sucks
It is what it is. This machine was used before I got it. It obviously is in dire need of some TLC. I work on high end equipment everyday, one thing that I've learned about equipment. It doesn't matter how expensive it is, the only equipment that doesn't need maintaining or parts replacement..... are the ones that don't get used.

nice Ty...that should work real well. A well built tool always makes for a better end product...usually with a bit less swearin' too...

If I recall correctly Nick Wheeler uses something similar. But with a smaller tapered post that has a "cup" milled in the top to hold the domed pin underneath.

It is based off of Nick's design. I didn't put the cup in the bolt because he mentioned in his video that it wasn't needed.

Ty still would like to see some footage of it in use!
It looks like a winner of an idea. No matter who had it first!!

I haven't seen Nick's video but Nick has invented several things when it comes to knife making that are really time savers!

The only one of Nick's inventions that never made video. Was him powering up the old grinding wheel with a motor. This is not the one in the picture but, it was similar! stock-photo-mounted-on-a-wooden-frame-of-an-old-grinding-stone-used-for-sharpening-metal-objec...jpg He said that thing got up to speed and he was grinding a piece or was about too and the sound changed!! He said when it began to disintegrate, he just rolled out of the way!! There was a chunk as big as soccer ball that would have hit him in the chest. That one almost hurt him bad!!

These knives have challenged me every step of the way. I enjoy the knowledge gained, even when the end result is a loss. That's just how it goes in knife making. There is a spot on the edge of this blade that will not harden. After several attempts at re-heat treating the blade I'm throwing the towel, and starting over.
20190203_084903-772x1029.jpg
This customer has been very patient, dealt with design changes, and longer then normal wait times. I have some 1095 for a hamon, I was thinking of using Damascus to make up for the problems that keep coming up. What are your thoughts on a free upgrade for being patient?
20190204_155020-1030x773.jpg

Back