The Newell .45 cal front loader

Man what I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall in your shop Bruce! So much to learn and do some day. I do have one question though - how do you know which way the Ws are oriented? I mean, what if you cut the accordion 90 degrees off? Or is that even possible? I guess that's three questions. :)

90 degrees off will give an entirely different pattern although it may be an OK pattern I want "W"s so I cut the end off the tip, sanded to 400 grit and etched it to see which way the pattern goes. I should have shown that here. Maybe I can find that small peice I cut off and etch it. Those are very small cute "w"s.
I should have pinched less for the tang. Looking at it here I can see its going to be about a mile long. Theres a lot of material there that I could have used for a longer blade. Maybe I can cut another wedge out to make the ricasso.

Hi Papi,
I can use all the luck, prayers and anything else I can get. If you see all these pictures are deleted you will know I screwed this one up and started over. I have a couple boxes under the bench with em.

WOW Bruce that is going to be AWSOME!! Good Luck !! You are the man!!

Thanks Shane! Congrats on Best New Maker award at Blade West. Well deserved. Beautiful knife! Your style is evident in that one and both of mine. Keep it up my friend.

OK, I spent some quality time at the forge this morning and forged the billet into a Vigilante blade and normalized it and as we speak its in the annealling oven.

I'm just going to let the pictures do the talking and if there are questions I'm happy to answer them.

100_4736.jpg

100_4737.jpg

100_4739.jpg

100_4743.jpg

100_4746.jpg

100_4750.jpg

100_4752.jpg

100_4751.jpg

100_4758.jpg

100_4760_edited.jpg

100_4761.jpg

100_4763_edited.jpg

100_4764_edited.jpg

100_4765.jpg

100_4766_edited.jpg

100_4768_edited.jpg

100_4770_edited.jpg

100_4772_edited.jpg

100_4773.jpg

Last edited:
You're too fast, Bruce!

How long did this last process take you to complete>

What was that baseball bat doing - adding some extra carbon to the blade :D?

Can't wait to see it ground and sanded and etched!

Thanks for the posts. Really enjoying the tutorial, buddy.

Dana

How long did this last process take you to complete>

What was that baseball bat doing - adding some extra carbon to the blade :D?

Can't wait to see it ground and sanded and etched!

Thanks for the posts. Really enjoying the tutorial, buddy.

Dana

It took me most all morning from the Lightning bolt shaped billet to a knife blade in the annealing oven. Thats hard on the old guy too. I'm not used to real work but did you notice I only used a hammer once and the baseball bat once. I dont know how people do without a forging press. :D

I had time to rough cut the liners and drill the pistol frame for them today too. These are .050" thick 410 stainless steel. They serve to cover the frame and hold the frame together. The bolsters and grips will mount to these also. There will be drilled fitted plates silver soldered to them for the hammer and trigger pivots too. You will see.

100_4775_edited.jpg

100_4776_edited.jpg

100_4778_edited.jpg

100_4779_edited.jpg

Annealled and surface ground I etched it to see what the pattern looks like. I like it. There are no bad welds or shearing from opening up the accordian. Its a keeper.

100_4780_edited.jpg

100_4782_edited.jpg

100_4785_edited.jpg

Last edited:
Back