Zito KITH WIP- 9-2-18 update pics

I wanted the slope down to look like a woman’s foot slipping into a high heel. I also saw something kids sorta similar made by Travis Payne... on his though, the whole handle is held in the palm.

What :). Now you are getting classical. The great boat builder Herreshoff once said " the curves on a boat should be like the curves on a beautiful woman" or something to that effect.
That line is the new classic!! I love it.

What :). Now you are getting classical. The great boat builder Herreshoff once said " the curves on a boat should be like the curves on a beautiful woman" or something to that effect.

The curves on everything should look like the curves on a beautiful woman lol. If I’m gonna copy, I’m gonna copy the Master. He knew what he was doing when it came to curves.

I just looked him up... those are some fine boats!

Yes he was. I actually built one of his designs with plans from Joel White. The Hereshoff/Haven 121/2 sail boat.

That is big time fine. Those are by far my favorite types of boats, and unfortunately I’ve never seen one in real life. They are so beautiful and pleasing to my eye.

Oh, the joys of hand filing bevels..... I made a couple of knives with that same setup at first and quickly hid that thing in a dark, forgotten corner!
Lol... I understand that 100%. It’s pretty good excersize though. Terrible on my shoulders. One of these days I’m going to pull the trigger on a 2 by 72... one of these days.

Lol... I understand that 100%. It’s pretty good excersize though. Terrible on my shoulders. One of these days I’m going to pull the trigger on a 2 by 72... one of these days.
A few weeks ago, I helped a young man make his first knife. He was kind of scared of the grinder and was very reluctant to hog any metal off. So, I dug out the filing jig and he thought that would be much easier. After 15 or 20 minutes of filing, he asked if he could try the grinder again. I got a good laugh.

A few weeks ago, I helped a young man make his first knife. He was kind of scared of the grinder and was very reluctant to hog any metal off. So, I dug out the filing jig and he thought that would be much easier. After 15 or 20 minutes of filing, he asked if he could try the grinder again. I got a good laugh.
Hahaha ... I’m so ready to have a grinder.

Loving that file work!
Thanks!!! I still have some work left to do on it. I’m going to try to make it look like bones (as a knifedogs tribute). Here are a couple more update pics. The knife won’t be polished in the end... I just hit it on the buffer so I can see better. I ended up grinding 99% of this knife on the 4 by 36. I figured out a way to get the bevels halfway decent... in fact these pics are straight off the grinder. I can sand the rest.
Thank you again for the kind words!

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Back