Yup, another Maker's Mark question.

Oh WOW! Just received a package from Ernie. Not only were my stencils in it but also enough felt for a lifetime (I had already bought felt :D ) and an 8 oz plastic bottle. (I never could find a bottle here.........was even looking today!!!) So all I need is for the stuff from Science Supply to arrive and I'm ready to start testing! Yipee!

Thanks, guys for all the help and guidance. Newbie here.............learning lots.

I don't disagree with Ed's opinion on the subject. I just don't think there's enough room on my tiny blades
I think you are correct. A possible solution could be to have a business card created using the CC logo and your name prominently displayed on the card. If you give a card(s) with every knife you sell the connection to your name should follow. I always send two or three Redeemer Forge cards with every order. I tell them there is one for them to keep and two to give away to friends.

Well, Chris, I ordered my cards a few minutes ago. I've designed a lot of business cards for various pursuits of mine and my spouse, but this one was just about the most simple. I decided not to do any artsy-phartsy stuff on it. Just kept it simple.............less is best I've always said. So thanks for the suggestion.

Received the final component for the etching electrolyte in the mail today. Will polish up a piece of blade steel tomorrow for testing. Sure hope Ernie's stencils work for me.

So thanks to all who have helped me through this maker's mark journey. Much appreciated.

Well, Chris, I ordered my cards a few minutes ago. I've designed a lot of business cards for various pursuits of mine and my spouse, but this one was just about the most simple. I decided not to do any artsy-phartsy stuff on it. Just kept it simple.............less is best I've always said. So thanks for the suggestion.

Received the final component for the etching electrolyte in the mail today. Will polish up a piece of blade steel tomorrow for testing. Sure hope Ernie's stencils work for me.

So thanks to all who have helped me through this maker's mark journey. Much appreciated.

Look forward to seeing the mark. Did you make your own etching system or buy one?

I listened to suggestions made in this thread and ordered Ernie's stencils and accessories. I made his electrolyte yesterday.

My Father was a jeweler. He died in 2011 and a couple of weeks ago, his wife asked me to come and take any of his supplies and equipment I thought I could use and she would have a garage sale for the rest. So I inherited a LOT of stuff that is applicable to knife making. (hand tools, files, Foredom power engraver, some other air-powered engraver, table-top jewelers lathe, desk lamps, air-compressor, power hone, 1x30 sander, buffer motor, etc., etc., etc. ) Among the "stash" was a variable DC power supply he used when he wanted to plate an item. Ernie said it will work just fine. The only thing is it doesn't have AC also, so I won't be able to put the carbon back into the metal...........which turns the etching black. Actually, I like that because it will at least look a little more like a hot forged stamp instead of a "decal" stuck on the metal.

Okay, per your request. 01 steel polished as I would my blade. Etched at 14 volts DC 6 repetitions. Sanded to 600 grit as per instructions.

Full frame of picture:

Close up..........keep in mind the logo is actually only 1/4" tall.

I'm very pleased with the results.

Here is a copy of the very simple card I've had printed to include with my knives:

Thanks, Retroguy, I thought so too. Needless to say, I'm anxious to get started on my carving knife stock for the Fall class at the Tech Center.
The only supplies I'm waiting on are Cactus Juice and Acraglas. Other than that, I'm ready and waiting. I'll start on all the blades and just assemble the handles as those two material become available.

I'm not too familiar with carving, could you show a picture of your work and what that knife you made would be used for,

I don't typically photograph my work. I've some quick snaps on my cell phone to show my students but nothing on my computer.

Carvers can have several hundred tools, which probably includes a knife like the one I showed. But the typical carver will have many handled knives with different blade shapes designed for different types of cuts. There are multitudes of two-handed tools, which are used in all types of carving and sculpting, but also used in architectural carving, i.e. scrolls, etc. When carving, either in the round or low and high relief, a carver might end up using 20 or 30 of those tools to complete the piece. The knife I showed in this thread could be used by itself to carve characters or any number of in the round items. Typically, a carver using just one knife would be carving folk characters or whittling projects. So the question is kind of like me asking you to show me the tool you use to dismantle a combustion engine, if you get my drift.

I probably used 30 or 40 different carving tools on the Eagle. 5 or 10 on the Tree and Tire Swing. 10 or 20, plus a number of Dremel tool points on the Tetons and Multron Barn. But can't think of a single carving I've ever done with just one knife.......................................wait, I'll take that back, there is a practice project that most any carver has done called a Ball in a Box. The idea is to carve it with just one tool to practice using the knife for many different cuts. It's kind of like an opera single sings scales 4 hours a day throughout their carrer.

Attachments

• IMG_20161029_115957-half.jpg
    IMG_20161029_115957-half.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20180623_130700-half.jpg
    20180623_130700-half.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20180623_130842-half.jpg
    20180623_130842-half.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_8063-half.jpg
    DSC_8063-half.jpg
    725.8 KB · Views: 8
Those are beautiful. The eagle is amazing but I particularly like the tire swing. That's great you teach, i not sure there is anyone in RI that teaches this but maybe it's a hidden art.

Thank you, Sir. I really don't get to carve much for myself. Mainly my energy is spent teaching. But I'm looking forward to building a reputation as a good carving knife maker. We'll see.

Back