Yup, another Maker's Mark question.

Don't "hate" it................just don't understand the "football". o_O

This is more like what I was thinking about......but maybe inside an elipse or diamond.

240_F_184527744_LIkGnscKT62JCCAh31HiwVKT0pPd4nxF-half.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, I see it now. Oh well, I'm pretty thick skulled.

Here's another idea:

CC Logo-half.jpg

To answer your question, I have no idea where I'll get my stencil. My biggest problem still lies in the fact typically the largest size of my carving knife blades is going to be 1/2" x 1 1/2".................which leaves little room for a readable logo without taking up the entire blade!!!:eek:

Here's a better one, I think. Just don't know how to make the stroke of the oval wider!

Horizontal Oval-CC-half.jpg

Any thoughts or comments from anyone on the forum? I'm thinking the oval needs to be about 3/16" tall.

So I google some carving knifes. I see how tiny they can be. I'm looking forward to seeing one you make some day.

I went ahead and ordered stencils from Ernie for my logo. Have all the chemicals except Ferrous Sulfate. He mentioned in his website it was available at most Knife supply outlets.............only none of the suppliers I know of offer it. I've been to all the hardware stores, pharmacies, DIY stores and health food stores in my area and am not able to find it. In my research I've come up with information it is used in nurturing flora and fauna. So is the Ferrous Sulfate used at nurseries the same as used in the electro-etching process? The link on Ernie's site takes me to a laboratory supply and the bottle is labeled "Lab Grade". Is there a difference?

I went ahead and ordered stencils from Ernie for my logo. Have all the chemicals except Ferrous Sulfate. He mentioned in his website it was available at most Knife supply outlets.............only none of the suppliers I know of offer it. I've been to all the hardware stores, pharmacies, DIY stores and health food stores in my area and am not able to find it. In my research I've come up with information it is used in nurturing flora and fauna. So is the Ferrous Sulfate used at nurseries the same as used in the electro-etching process? The link on Ernie's site takes me to a laboratory supply and the bottle is labeled "Lab Grade". Is there a difference?

I guess I'm missing something. Are you talking about the chemicals to etch your logo? My understanding is you only need an electrolyte, which Boss Dog has https://usaknifemaker.com/electrolyte-110a-use-for-all-steels-including-stainless.html, and a neutralizer which he appears to be out of right now. However it looks like Jantz Knife supply has some. They are calling it a cleaner. https://www.knifemaking.com/product-p/ecamc.htm

Hope that's what you are looking for.

I guess I'm missing something. Are you talking about the chemicals to etch your logo? My understanding is you only need an electrolyte, which Boss Dog has https://usaknifemaker.com/electrolyte-110a-use-for-all-steels-including-stainless.html, and a neutralizer which he appears to be out of right now. However it looks like Jantz Knife supply has some. They are calling it a cleaner. https://www.knifemaking.com/product-p/ecamc.htm

Hope that's what you are looking for.

Not to get in the middle of this but Ernie has a recipe for electrolytes on his web page.

I think Chris is missing one of the ingredients

Chris - I made Ernie's electrolyte and just ordered from the links he provided.

BTW the stuff works great

I just use a super saturated saline solution and a battery charger. I'm considering the personalizer but hard to fix what isn't broken.

I also agree with Ed on the logo. It needs to be something that can be searched for, like your name, etc. Google does have a image search feature but not many know how to find or use it.

Last edited:
I think Chris is missing one of the ingredients

I've got the Stainless Steel Activator, Citric Acid Powder, Table Salt and Distilled Water. All I'm missing in Ferrous Sulfate. (and I can't find the danged 8 0z bottle anywhere!) What else am I missing, Mike?

I also agree with Ed on the logo. It needs to be something that can be searched for, like your name, etc. Google does have a image search feature but not many know how to find or use i

Here is my logo:

View attachment Horizontal Oval-CC-600dpi.jpg

I don't disagree with Ed's opinion on the subject. I just don't think there's enough room on my tiny blades. The oval is only going to be 1/4" tall, I don't think if I put my name in there that the letters would even be large enough to read.

I've got the Stainless Steel Activator, Citric Acid Powder, Table Salt and Distilled Water. All I'm missing in Ferrous Sulfate. (and I can't find the danged 8 0z bottle anywhere!) What else am I missing, Mike?

I was only pointing out that you were missing the Ferrous Sulfate while trying to make your own electrolyte.

This is were I got mine

https://www.sciencecompany.com/ferrous-sulfate-100g-p6368.aspx

Also, if you need one of these bottles to mix everything in I have a few extra. If you need one, PM me your address and I'll send you one

S-14501.jpg

Okay, thanks Mike. By the time I get that $7 bottle shipped to me it's going to cost over $20. This is gettin' too rich for my blood. Trying to find it locally and save the shipping.

I appreciate your offer on the bottle, but don't want to bother you with it. I'll keep looking here. Can't believe I can't find one, though. I owned a plastic manufacturing company for 27 years and had thousands of those bottles on-hand. Now I can't find one anywhere. Driving me nuts!o_O

Back