Your thoughts on the deep carry debate

What are your thoughts on "deep carry" clips?

• I only use deep carry clips

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Spyderman

Personally, I'm not a fan of deep carry. I feel like it makes the knife harder to get to, while serving little to no practical purpose. People are going to see the deep carry clip (no matter how small) and the average person will be able to reason out that it's a knife. I don't think it's any better or worse than a normal clip in that regard. But of course, that's just me. I know the opinions differ VASTLY on this issue, so I wanted to see everyone's preference on it. Should be fun!

I have to have a pocket clip. I carry a fairly large knife and I can't stand it lying in the bottom of my pocket.

I don't even like to carry a regular pocketknife anymore.

I used to carry a small puukko I had made, but it either got lost or stolen. I am pretty sure it was stolen, but I actually preferred the belt knife to a folder. Once that thing vanished I started carrying my Case folder. Gives me an excuse to make a new puukko this summer!

I wear a belt knife daily and rarely carry a folder but personally I don't like clips. anytime I carry a folded with a clip it seemed like that's all I could have in that pocket because if I reached in my pocket to get keys or coins I kind of had to push the knife away with the back of my hand and I don't like something dragging across the back of my hand every time I put my hand in my pocket.

I'd rather just slip the whole knife in my pocket rather than clip it. I make folders and I don't put clips on them either.
where I live wearing a belt knife isn't that uncommon so that's what I've been carrying for over 30 years.

I wear a belt knife daily and rarely carry a folder but personally I don't like clips. anytime I carry a folded with a clip it seemed like that's all I could have in that pocket because if I reached in my pocket to get keys or coins I kind of had to push the knife away with the back of my hand and I don't like something dragging across the back of my hand every time I put my hand in my pocket.

I'd rather just slip the whole knife in my pocket rather than clip it. I make folders and I don't put clips on them either.
where I live wearing a belt knife isn't that uncommon so that's what I've been carrying for over 30 years.
I feel you on that issue. That's one of the reasons I ditched the jeans and wear 5.11's (ABR Pro) daily. Dedicated EDC right pocket on top of my thigh, dedicated EDC Leatherman pouch one the left thigh. Problem solved. And because these pants are the same form factor as the Taclite series, same configuration for shorts as well in the summer

And by the way, for the rest of you that lose your knives, a dedicated knife pocket right on top front of your thigh will eliminate that problem

I feel you on that issue. That's one of the reasons I ditched the jeans and wear 5.11's (ABR Pro) daily. Dedicated EDC right pocket on top of my thigh, dedicated EDC Leatherman pouch one the left thigh. Problem solved. And because these pants are the same form factor as the Taclite series, same configuration for shorts as well in the summer
I might have to look into some pants like those I dang sure could use more pockets.

Sorry, that picture makes it look like the pocket is on the side of the leg, but it's actually more towards the front... More like at 2 o'clock

I like old school slipjoints for daily carry. I prefer small ones that fit in the little “watch pocket” of my jeans or in a leather pocket slip if I’m wearing dress pants. If i’m working I wear a belt knife because i hate going in my pocket or flipping/folding 1000x a day, especially with filthy hands. A belt knife is fast and easy and then goes right back in the sheath (and doesn’t occupy a pocket). Like Steve, I hate clips with a passion. I tolerate the clip on my little Streamlight because that little sucker is so handy, and that’s already occupying the space a clip knife would go. With my eyesight pushing 50 I use that flashlight as often as I do my pocketknife, which is a lot. The pants you linked to look great. I may try those out.

Granted, I am not wearing a pocketknife with even the slightest notion of using it defensively. If my pistol runs dry I’ll use it as a blunt instrument while I’m egressing smartly LOL.

Yea, I like the photo also, but could NEVER imagine carrying a knife clipped to outside of jeans like that. Looks like it's just begging to get lost, or advertising "look at my knife" to everybody, including LEO.

I've carried a knife for almost 70 years, and for the first 40 or so of those never heard of clips. Old habits for old men are hard to break, even if I wanted to. I didn't even know what "deep pocket clip" was until I did a search. Now looking at the difference, "IF" I were to use a clip, I think I'd want a deep pocket clip.. THat would help keep knife a bit more discrete. When (always) I carry a knife or pistol (sometimes), I don't wish to advertise the fact to other folks.... or LEO.

My Benchmade Torrent came with a deep pocket clip. I liked it. But somewhere along the line with my tough on tools habit I broke it and I've never replaced it. So it's nestled inside my pocket now and I'm fine with that. What I do wish more knives had, was thumb studs for both left and right hand opening. I carry my knives in my left hand pocket. While I'm largely right handed I do like the option of being able to open with my left hand if my right hand is occupied doing something else.

Back