Yay or Nay on Harbor Freight Band Saw.

Mark Barone

I need a band saw to rough cut scales. Will the inexpensive HF brand do that? Does anybody have 150 dollar band saw or less that is accomplishing this?

Love mine. I spent more on the Swag table than the Saw! And I also bought a foot switch from HF too. If you play your cards right they will have them on sale for 99 bucks and a 25% coupon! 75 bucks for a Bandsaw is a deal! I did also after watching some of the videos on YouTube get some good blades. It's a very capable little machine. As far as longevity, your guess is as good as mine! It was about $330 with all the bells and whistles delivered to me. If you had the time to fab your own stand you'd be way ahead of the curve!!

Love mine. I spent more on the Swag table than the Saw! And I also bought a foot switch from HF too. If you play your cards right they will have them on sale for 99 bucks and a 25% coupon! 75 bucks for a Bandsaw is a deal! I did also after watching some of the videos on YouTube get some good blades. It's a very capable little machine. As far as longevity, your guess is as good as mine! It was about $330 with all the bells and whistles delivered to me. If you had the time to fab your own stand you'd be way ahead of the curve!!

I was just looking for a wood cutting bench top. But this seems interesting. Does that cut steel like a Milwaukee type?

I was there today. For the price of $260 you can have one just like mine. lol,,,,, I have replaced the motor, tension adjustment for the blade and on/off switch. This is over time. I will say it has done the job for me. It's the low end but it works. For what I do it fine. Would I like a good one. $$$$ ;)

Attachments

• 20190519_181050.jpg
    20190519_181050.jpg
    876.5 KB · Views: 18
If you want a bandsaw that will pull double duty on steel and handle material, go with the portaband. I also have the HF one and like it.

I have the Bauer porta-band from HF. I use it to cut steel and wood with no trouble. I made a stand to hold it verticle and it works very well.

I have the Bauer Porta-Band from HF, got it for $99. I also got a swag table and it works great. Way better than using an angle grinder to cut blanks. Get it!

I have the Bauer porta-band from HF. I use it to cut steel and wood with no trouble. I made a stand to hold it verticle and it works very well.
I have the Bauer Porta-Band from HF, got it for $99. I also got a swag table and it works great. Way better than using an angle grinder to cut blanks. Get it!
I was just looking for a wood cutting bench top. But this seems interesting. Does that cut steel like a Milwaukee type?
This is the Harbor Freight saw I have too! Yes it will cut metal like crazy with good blades. I would buy another one in a heart beat!!

GReat guys, I'll check it out. Is this the table that works with it. Is there a HF version. I'm not sure I really want to try an build one.

GReat guys, I'll check it out. Is this the table that works with it. Is there a HF version. I'm not sure I really want to try an build one.
I just ordered a V.1 SWAG table for mine. It locks in your vise when you use it you put it away when you dont need it. Best of all it was $59.00 shipped. They make a free standing V.3 or 4 but they are $130 plus.

I just ordered a V.1 SWAG table for mine. It locks in your vise when you use it you put it away when you dont need it. Best of all it was $59.00 shipped. They make a free standing V.3 or 4 but they are $130 plus.

I bought the free standing one for my saw but that's what I wanted. If you can get away with the table that gets put in a vice that's way less money like Chris said! Swag makes a good product!

I bought the free standing one for my saw but that's what I wanted. If you can get away with the table that gets put in a vice that's way less money like Chris said! Swag makes a good product!
The funny part is that I had an extra vise laying around so it was a no brainier for me. I will mount the thing on my sanding bench and leave it there.

I have used the higher end saw from Harbor Freight for just over 20 years. This is for a contract machine shop. It has been used often and cleaned little....have not had to replace one thing.....well...except many many blades.

After seeing these comments, I totally wish I had went with the portaband. At least it would have been more versatile. I bought a 14” wood cutting bandsaw for handle material and obviously it will not run slow enough to do much for metal but it’s hardly even powerful enough to cut 1/4” scales much less something like a guitar body or anything thicker :confused:. However, I do love my HF scroll saw for handle material. It works really great for things with curves and never bogs down in thin material like the much bigger bandsaw does....

I have the HF bandsaw with a swag stand. Cuts everything from wood to micarta to blade steel. Can't beat it for the price. Get some good 14/18 tpi blades.

After seeing these comments, I totally wish I had went with the portaband. At least it would have been more versatile. I bought a 14” wood cutting bandsaw for handle material and obviously it will not run slow enough to do much for metal but it’s hardly even powerful enough to cut 1/4” scales much less something like a guitar body or anything thicker :confused:. However, I do love my HF scroll saw for handle material. It works really great for things with curves and never bogs down in thin material like the much bigger bandsaw does....
I have ripped two inch thick scale material on the Bauer but it does not handle curves very well. Slow small curves are OK even in steel but that is it. I have a big craftsman wood bandsaw that has been very lonely since my HF metal saw has arrived.

I’m going to get one. I was hoping I could modify this band saw table to fit on the porta saw to save money but I will probably get the swag.

Attachments

• 89AD0F86-F3AB-4908-ABA1-F2A991AFB47E.png
    89AD0F86-F3AB-4908-ABA1-F2A991AFB47E.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 72D07D0D-5103-4969-BFA9-0211A5A306F4.png
    72D07D0D-5103-4969-BFA9-0211A5A306F4.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
Back