Yay or Nay on Harbor Freight Band Saw.

Retroguy

I need a band saw to rough cut scales. Will the inexpensive HF brand do that? Does anybody have 150 dollar band saw or less that is accomplishing this?

Gliden07

Love mine. I spent more on the Swag table than the Saw! And I also bought a foot switch from HF too. If you play your cards right they will have them on sale for 99 bucks and a 25% coupon! 75 bucks for a Bandsaw is a deal! I did also after watching some of the videos on YouTube get some good blades. It's a very capable little machine. As far as longevity, your guess is as good as mine! It was about $330 with all the bells and whistles delivered to me. If you had the time to fab your own stand you'd be way ahead of the curve!!

Retroguy

Love mine. I spent more on the Swag table than the Saw! And I also bought a foot switch from HF too. If you play your cards right they will have them on sale for 99 bucks and a 25% coupon! 75 bucks for a Bandsaw is a deal! I did also after watching some of the videos on YouTube get some good blades. It's a very capable little machine. As far as longevity, your guess is as good as mine! It was about $330 with all the bells and whistles delivered to me. If you had the time to fab your own stand you'd be way ahead of the curve!!
I was just looking for a wood cutting bench top. But this seems interesting. Does that cut steel like a Milwaukee type?

springer82

I was there today. For the price of $260 you can have one just like mine. lol,,,,, I have replaced the motor, tension adjustment for the blade and on/off switch. This is over time. I will say it has done the job for me. It's the low end but it works. For what I do it fine. Would I like a good one. $$$$ ;)

Attachments

Heikki

If you want a bandsaw that will pull double duty on steel and handle material, go with the portaband. I also have the HF one and like it.

Chris Railey

KNIFE MAKER
I have the Bauer porta-band from HF. I use it to cut steel and wood with no trouble. I made a stand to hold it verticle and it works very well.

chrisstaniar

I have the Bauer Porta-Band from HF, got it for $99. I also got a swag table and it works great. Way better than using an angle grinder to cut blanks. Get it!

Gliden07

I have the Bauer porta-band from HF. I use it to cut steel and wood with no trouble. I made a stand to hold it verticle and it works very well.
I have the Bauer Porta-Band from HF, got it for $99. I also got a swag table and it works great. Way better than using an angle grinder to cut blanks. Get it!
I was just looking for a wood cutting bench top. But this seems interesting. Does that cut steel like a Milwaukee type?
This is the Harbor Freight saw I have too! Yes it will cut metal like crazy with good blades. I would buy another one in a heart beat!!

Retroguy

GReat guys, I'll check it out. Is this the table that works with it. Is there a HF version. I'm not sure I really want to try an build one.

Chris Railey

KNIFE MAKER
GReat guys, I'll check it out. Is this the table that works with it. Is there a HF version. I'm not sure I really want to try an build one.
I just ordered a V.1 SWAG table for mine. It locks in your vise when you use it you put it away when you dont need it. Best of all it was $59.00 shipped. They make a free standing V.3 or 4 but they are $130 plus.

Gliden07

I just ordered a V.1 SWAG table for mine. It locks in your vise when you use it you put it away when you dont need it. Best of all it was $59.00 shipped. They make a free standing V.3 or 4 but they are $130 plus.
I bought the free standing one for my saw but that's what I wanted. If you can get away with the table that gets put in a vice that's way less money like Chris said! Swag makes a good product!

Chris Railey

KNIFE MAKER
I bought the free standing one for my saw but that's what I wanted. If you can get away with the table that gets put in a vice that's way less money like Chris said! Swag makes a good product!
The funny part is that I had an extra vise laying around so it was a no brainier for me. I will mount the thing on my sanding bench and leave it there.

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
I have used the higher end saw from Harbor Freight for just over 20 years. This is for a contract machine shop. It has been used often and cleaned little....have not had to replace one thing.....well...except many many blades.

Austin Thrasher

After seeing these comments, I totally wish I had went with the portaband. At least it would have been more versatile. I bought a 14” wood cutting bandsaw for handle material and obviously it will not run slow enough to do much for metal but it’s hardly even powerful enough to cut 1/4” scales much less something like a guitar body or anything thicker :confused:. However, I do love my HF scroll saw for handle material. It works really great for things with curves and never bogs down in thin material like the much bigger bandsaw does....

Nick Riggi

I have the HF bandsaw with a swag stand. Cuts everything from wood to micarta to blade steel. Can't beat it for the price. Get some good 14/18 tpi blades.

Chris Railey

KNIFE MAKER
After seeing these comments, I totally wish I had went with the portaband. At least it would have been more versatile. I bought a 14” wood cutting bandsaw for handle material and obviously it will not run slow enough to do much for metal but it’s hardly even powerful enough to cut 1/4” scales much less something like a guitar body or anything thicker :confused:. However, I do love my HF scroll saw for handle material. It works really great for things with curves and never bogs down in thin material like the much bigger bandsaw does....
I have ripped two inch thick scale material on the Bauer but it does not handle curves very well. Slow small curves are OK even in steel but that is it. I have a big craftsman wood bandsaw that has been very lonely since my HF metal saw has arrived.