WTB 2x72 belt grinder

Tooln

I don't get around here often but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I'm looking to get a 2x72 belt grinder. I'd like a quality unit, with variable speed, it can be new or used. My price range is under 2k. Please PM me if you can help. Thanks

There is nothing wrong with the KMG linked to - it's variable speed and well built. I've talked with the Reeder folks a good bit at Blade show, examined the grinder, and have copied the tracking system to my homemade grinder. I've always built my own grinders with my first modeled after the original KMG grinder about 10 yrs ago.

I've read review by several folks I put a lot of confindiance in on the Reeder who really praised the Reeder. Their SGA is for sure the one I would purchase where I to buy a commercial unit.

With a budget of $2K there are several options out there that are good grinders.

Check out the video on the grinders page then look at the DVDs page for getting the DVD at www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com. Let me know if I can help you.

You can build Moe's Grinder for about $1,000,00 depending on your scrap pile. Angle iron and flat bar stock.

Last edited:
Reeder is amazing quality (I only own the surface grinder attachment fyi) and absolutely top notch customer service... But while I do like their grinder I find their tool arm to be leaving something to be desired imho. Other than that though it would also be my first choice probably

I find their tool arm to be leaving something to be desired imho
REK, what is it about the tool arms you don't like? Remember, I've never actually used a Reeder grinder at home, but just looking at the grinder I didn't see any issues. You're using one so know what you're talking about. Please share.

I agree with you completely about the SGA, I think it's the best on the market.

REK, what is it about the tool arms you don't like? Remember, I've never actually used a Reeder grinder at home, but just looking at the grinder I didn't see any issues. You're using one so know what you're talking about. Please share.

I agree with you completely about the SGA, I think it's the best on the market.
Maybe I wasn't clear - I don't actually have a Reeder grinder, I ONLY have their SGA :) and I'm sorry I didn't mean tool arm but rather tool arm work rest.

But regarding that... when you look at ones like Wilmont makes or NRT the Reeder one really seems to be lacking in the capability arena and is very basic. It works, but it doesn't excel imho.

Wilmont is personally my favorite because it can swing out of the way real quick (this is the tool work rest I actually have) for a platen or wheel change, or if I need to work the entire flat of the blade. It just saves time and is super convenient and can hit all the same positions that the RAT arm from NRT does.

Reeder work rest
quick%20flip.JPG

Northridge Tool
JewROYNZuEkY6ixf1jB5CcbYeFEyQRPtts-N_8bGPPuTsHyfX3QbD2udOog7j6KZ7DmJvSiV-C-sx_XXGek4QFNIP0LRyidjnnVWDR4kFvajCYRsXXGf3qvW
wzVzUIR5eiL7OJkpQf4b-6-eaP3fh17Mox-CL19vewuQnpcg7CRyPYySpBjuXgB1pAKyALxCun4-X8j0b1sW2__1WATeQc5rxVgKSa3tRrP7zs6LyA4o3G4z
k7HtcDkzHWsJyZg4vmXKUgrp1STk8N4B0ZxH_tUMD9ygFL7HZRhw9RWA6YDe1X79XKhPRPYxPGDcQKT1nwAWxU3pvD9lTdKwH8xqSsg0Cq8vuhhQfbPZG47c
UdM5CPpnt6HFkXsNB0USpUkrVOAY3WPDxWJQsVlerssifFqoMHcBKd_PU8dYaxWkDIJc9x4PG_Kw5BWstCctQ0DDxKzuwd_-rZJGWS9ygzFvV-dRpA39odjJ

Wilmont
DSC03375.webp

DSC03385.webp

Oh, I agree 100% the Reeder work rest is VERY basic design. It seems to work only when the grinder is vertical, but not horizontal. It's also fixed at the same location on the platen, and that might - or might not - be where you'd want it for a contact wheel.

Remember, any tool rest with an 1.5" tool arm will work just fine on the Reeder.

I've owned a Reeder grinder for over 2 years. It's a great machine that is built on a solid design and excellent workmanship. Don Reeder is the owner of the company and has applied years of machinist skills to the grinder design. His son Greg handles most of the shop activity and customer sales and support. It's a small shop that has grown a solid reputation & offers immediate customer support.
I have no complaints with this grinder (but, it's the only 2x72 I've owned).
Here are things I like:
- attention to detail & excellent machining of components
- tracking mechanism allows for both X & Y movement of the tracking wheel, this helps with tracking while running the belt in the reverse direction (a grinding technique used for blade sharpening)
- platen assembly is very adjustable, providing opportunity for creative setups
- belt tensioning is controlled with a spring NOT a gas actuator (gas actuators eventually fail due to grit in the piston)
- 2 arm design provides for lots of setup variations - in my opinion single arm designs are not desirable
- they sell a feature that flips the grinder and allows for horizontal belt position - something that I think is mandatory in a grinder (so I built my own bench assembly that flips the grinder - (in the end that cost me more than buying their design).
- and of course, having a variable speed drive is the only way to go. In my opinion don't buy a 2x72 if you can't afford a VFD!

Here are some things I don't like:
- the belt release handle is positioned poorly, especially for geezers with sore shoulders (a common design flaw on many grinders). I made an handle/arm extension that works better and allows for much faster belt changing.
- there is no spark guard to stop grinding material from flying off (I made one)
- I don't find this to be a problem, but something other people have said about the grinder - the frame assembly is made of aluminum. Some folks think this is inadequate and prefer a steel frame.
- the knife blade grinder attachment that they sell is useless (or at least I haven't figured out how to use it)
- though I don't have their grinder stand - to me it looks light weight and flimsy.

This photo gives and example of the platen setup flexibility & tension handle addition. I've added a spark deflector located just above the tracking wheel.
1634056015462.png
This is how I flip the grinder to the horizontal position. Note also that whole table moves up and down to adjust belt height. This is something that Reeder has added to their design options (though they flip the grinder differently).
1634056840677.png

I have a Reeder, bought mine 5 years ago. LOVE IT! I bought the frame and bought wheels a motor and VFD. If you have a 3PH 1-1/2HP minimum or a VFD that will support a 1-1/2HP motor, I would buy the frame. If not the 2HP kit would be the way to go. Depending on your level of fabrication skills or your desire to build one I also liked the Polar Bear Forge GIB2 (Grinder in a Box 2). If like I said you have or can source a motor and VFD inexpensively you can get a quality grinder on the cheap!

PS 2HP is a better choice and 3HP would be even better but NOTHING SMALLER THAN 1-1/2HP

Last edited:
Back