Worse than a trailer hitch!

Self Made Knives

You know how bad it hurts when you hit your shin on a trailer hitch? I found something worse! I've just recently started getting setup for forging and I've added a forge, anvil, post vise, etc. Yesterday, I turned quickly and walked full speed smack into the horn of that anvil. HOLY ^*#@%)!!!! I've got a golf ball size lump and even bigger bruise at the top of my thigh now, tender as all get out. Couldn't decide if I should cry or cuss!

Yeah, that was a one time lesson, don't think I'll have that problem again. It was 3 days ago and my leg still hurts! This horn has got a very small point and now I see why you find anvils that have obviously been ground down. So far in my forging experience, I've burned a spot on both arms, my thumb, and impaled myself onto the anvil. Great start!

Not an anvil story but several months back I dropped the sliding drill press vise off my drill on my big toe. Hurt for days!! And the damage toe nail is still growing out :(. When I was rearranging my shop this past week I dropped my 4” belt grinder on the same toe!! Luckily it was on a small stool rather than on the work bench (height wise). I might have to start wearing steel toe boots.

I've never walked into my anvil, couldn't really with it's location right now but boy I've walked into the pintle hook on the back of the utility trucks I've driven over the years more times than I can count, I've got scars up and down both my shins. I used to paint them gas line yellow but that didn't do anything.
I haven't hit one in probably 8 years or so now, I've even got one on the back of my personal truck now, not just for towing but rear end protection. people tend not to tailgate too close when you got a big a-- pintle hook hanging off the back of your truck.
I've had two cars towed away over the years from running into the back of my work truck.

Not an anvil story but several months back I dropped the sliding drill press vise off my drill on my big toe. Hurt for days!! And the damage toe nail is still growing out :(. When I was rearranging my shop this past week I dropped my 4” belt grinder on the same toe!! Luckily it was on a small stool rather than on the work bench (height wise). I might have to start wearing steel toe boots.
I can't like this post in good conscience. YOWCH!

Yep, just when you think your having a good day.....BAM.
It's like if you ever threw your back out, it's oh oh, what was that?
I don't know what just happened two seconds ago but I'll be walking around like a 90 year old man for the next five days.

Yep, just when you think your having a good day.....BAM.
It's like if you ever threw your back out, it's oh oh, what was that?
I don't know what just happened two seconds ago but I'll be walking around like a 90 year old man for the next five days.
2 herniated disks. L4 L5....

I've never walked into my anvil, couldn't really with it's location right now but boy I've walked into the pintle hook on the back of the utility trucks I've driven over the years more times than I can count, I've got scars up and down both my shins. I used to paint them gas line yellow but that didn't do anything.
I haven't hit one in probably 8 years or so now, I've even got one on the back of my personal truck now, not just for towing but rear end protection. people tend not to tailgate too close when you got a big a-- pintle hook hanging off the back of your truck.
I've had two cars towed away over the years from running into the back of my work truck.

I live in The Commie Wealth of Mass, they actually have a law on the books that if your not using your hitch to tow something you have to remove the ball or pintle, or you can be fined!!

....but rear end protection. people tend not to tailgate too close when you got a big a-- pintle hook hanging off the back of your truck. I've had two cars towed away over the years from running into the back of my work truck.

I was sitting still in traffic once and a guy plowed into me. My hitch went through his grill and radiator and prevented my truck from getting damaged. The hitch and receiver unit saved my bumper and tailgate for sure.

Well I just bought a cheap Mig welder Ironton from HF.I was planning on putting some patches on my pick up truck.Well I have not welded in over 20yrs.So I take out some of my knife blades too pratice on.So after I run a few bad beads I take the helmet off too see the blade I was welding melted into the welding gun line.Thank God I caught it on time.And don't buy one of these welders because you can only run it 8 min then it needs to cool down for 8.Now had I known this I wouldn't have bought it.

I live in The Commie Wealth of Mass, they actually have a law on the books that if your not using your hitch to tow something you have to remove the ball or pintle, or you can be fined!!

I've heard of that law in a few states, down here in the gunshine state, if it has wheels and a motor it's pretty much legal.
I know in some states bumpers can't be over a certain height too.

All my neighbors around the property where I'm moving too have hit deer, so I added this for front protection.
I get some funny looks around the Tampa Bay area where I live now but where I'm moving their pretty standard fare.
and I'm up there pretty often.

MbV8WeY.jpg

Back