Woolly mammoth bone

Raymond Richard

Forum Owner & Moderator
Back in 2006 I picked up a good sized piece of mammoth bone from Chuck Bybee. Its been sitting in my shop ever since mainly because I wasn't sure how to work it. Think I figured it out now so here it is. Besides the bone it has birch bark spacers, iron fittings, and a double ground 5" L-6 blade. Overall its 9 1/2".

IMG_2468.JPG

IMG_2469.JPG

That is some very nice work. I have always like Norwegian style knives and that one is one of the best I have seen.

Another great one Raymond.
I really like your take on this style of knife.
I also visited your website and you have done some amazing work my friend.:cool:

Very nice design and execution. How did you treat the birch bark so it won't rot away?

Did you blue the blade or some other patina?

Overall, it's a win all around. That's one of the best looking knives I've seen!

Very nice design and execution. How did you treat the birch bark so it won't rot away?

Did you blue the blade or some other patina?

Overall, it's a win all around. That's one of the best looking knives I've seen!

Did nothing special to the birch bark. Once its part of the handle is pretty welled sealed. A coat of paste wax was used on the handle. As for the blade it was just etched and then rubbed with Flitz. When I etch L-6 it seems to pick up a little darkness. The blade was hand rubbed to 2000 grit.

Back