WIP Presentation box set

A great deal of time in some of the things I have tried and had to do over for one reason or the other but I guess you know all about that with your semi production efforts Ted. In the end I think it will be worth the lost time, but even so, I have really enjoyed the challlenge of working through the various aspects of this project and making Jigs etc so that I can turn them out at a reasonable price point.

Old school hinge fitting using butt and marking guages to mark in depths and a sharp chisel to cut it out. Next is some locks to cut in then I can put the finish oils on the wood. Still lots to do yet on the boxes with fitting the felt lining getting makers mark done and pinning tags in place. Then it wi be the daunting task of inletting the discs in the knife handles and 1911 gripsets.
vuED9Rpl.jpg

BZbYh7Ml.jpg

Finished the hinges today and got a the boxes all sanded then marked and drilled for my makers mark done with the silicon bronze nail heads. Spent a couple of hours making jigs to inlet for the locks but put that asside till another day as I wanted to get a coat of BLO on the boxes to show any sanding misses. I thought I woud make a start on a seperate knife with a blank disc just to prove the method but the tool I had asked the engineers make (to his sugested design) was not up to the job so had to go down (about a 1/2hr away) with a drawing for what I wanted and will pick it up next week.
This is the boxes with a coat of BLO drying over night. They will get a more protective finish than the BLO later in the finishing stages. To round out the day I got the first inserts covered with the felt so pleased with the progress so far.
eyjYxfVl.jpg

Wow!!! Been following this since you started this is my first comment and really WOW!! VERY NICE!! A true Craftsman!!
I have got the disc inlet done on the 1911 grip sets but having trouble bending the discs without marking the etching so waiting on the engraver to return my ph call to see if shecan do it after they are fitted and I will fit and sand to the grip and handle contours then get them etched again.

Back