Win $50 in knife supplies...just post a WIP

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
We like WIPs (work in progress) pictorials...

This can be knife or swords or leather or Kydex sheath making.
It can also be embellishment like scrim or engraving.

It doesn't have to be a complete knife start to finish. It can be just a part of the process also.

We would like to be the home of lots of WIP's.

Anyone that creates and posts a WIP for the month of October will be entered in a drawing for a chance to win $50 gift certificate from Midwest Knifemakers Supply, llc. Www.USAknifemaker.com at the end of the month. We will continue to do this each month for the next 6 months and then evaluate how we'll it works.

I am guessing that the drawing pool will be very low each month so this is a very good chance to win $50 in supplies. Maybe one in five or ten.

• A WIP has to have at least 4 pictures and can't just be started and abandoned.
  • Pictures of your starting materials is great and helpful but don't necessarily count as a WIP. You have to show some work being done.
  • A WIP that is kept active by you spanning months, get entered into each month for multiple chances to win.
  • This is a new and I may have put more rules on this as we gain some experience. The idea is to get people posting their WIPs, not to chisel someone out of a chance at winning fifty bucks in stuff.

Anyone, from the brand new knife maker to the veteran full timers can add to our community knowledge by posting WIPs. Just because you are new doesn't mean others can't learn something. If you are a veteran knife maker that has learned from the online community consider paying back. Even bad pictures are better than no pictures. If you are challenged with the picture side of that, we can get you help.

Finally, if someone volunteers to run a WIP section, I will set you up as the moderator for that forum and give you a free personal Knifemakers forum. Your responsibilities would be to recruit new WIPs by just asking a few people every month and give the occasional bit of assistance on posting and keeping the area alive. My goal is to have the largest compilation of WIPs online and we need to get started.

Last edited:
You have my attention... :)

I have been taking a few pictures of first linerlock of my own complete design and will do a WIP thread on that. It is currently at the point of cutting the lock bar.

Who is in the drawing for October WIP so far

Just taking a quick look for October...
active WIP for the October drawing

1 Bruce Bump, our resident WIP extraordinaire..

2 Mark Behnke, two entries for October...

3 Josh Dabney for his broaching tool WIP

4 lerman pattern welded damascus hidden tang http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?26703-pattern-welded-damascus-hidden-tang-WIP

BRad704 Liner Lock from my own design http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?26763-WIP-Liner-lock-from-my-own-design

Lerman with bandsaw conversion http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?26831-Miter-to-vertical-band-saw-conversion&p=225336#post225336

DonL vertical forge http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?26863-Vertical-Gas-Heat-Treat-Furnace-WIP

Cubane with a liner lock WIP using Elmax http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?26871-Elmax-WIP

at this point the above have a 1 in 8 chance of winning $50 in knif supplies and they contribute to the community. Not a bad deal...

who else?

Last edited:
Before I start will tell you that I use a lathe and a mill with readouts to do this. I buy any good large old cutlery sets fore the mop or good stag, it is hard to get from the blade to a round handle. I just happen to be doing two now, these are old opera glasses sliding handles, they are mop and bronze. In this case using a piece of 1/2" bronze rod, the 1/2" will go in a collet so can turn in the lathe and use in the mill, turn the back od. first then turn it around in the collet and drill the center hole to where the back of the blade will stop, on the front end scribe a center line with your tool bit, this will give you a center to mill to when you put the radios on each side, I do the depth with the dro. cut the slot with a saw, you need the blade to the finished size or your slot will be to big, your tang will need to be the same thickness as the blade so it will slide threw the slot, I know you are going to tell me my tang is to small, but have taken mop handles off 12" carving knives that had 1/8" tangs that were 100 years old, I make them as large as I can never had one come back, this gives you a one piece bolster, it is a little hard to get the square end of the blade to fit the square in the bolster, use an air turbin to releve the inside of the bolster as much as possible may need to tap it a little and clean the slot with a graver. I also use the collet block as a grinding fixture on my Burr King disc sander and on my home made small wheel grinder, hope this is of some help, copy anything but my name.

Attachments

• IMG_0102.jpg
    IMG_0102.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0103.jpg
    IMG_0103.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0099.jpg
    IMG_0099.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0100.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 25
So it doesnt matter that my WIP has been going for 4 months? :) And likely to go for another couple months?
Just taking a quick look for October...
active WIP for the October drawing

Bruce Bump, our resident WIP extraordinaire..
Mark Behnke, two entries for October...
Josh Dabney for his broaching tool WIP

who else?

No. I would nominate your WIPs as some of the very best instruction available. Wait till next spring when Janik and I come out to video tape something for a few days. We can really get into trouble...

I love doing a good WIP , but they are usually short , timewise , as I dont like dragging things out.

Where do we post them ?

Boss I would love to be part of the bigger picture around here. LMK

I love doing a good WIP , but they are usually short , timewise , as I dont like dragging things out.

Where do we post them ?

Boss I would love to be part of the bigger picture around here. LMK

Excellent...

post them in the Tutorial section ...
I will put your name on the moderator candidate list.

I'd also like to be in the candidates list for modding that section. I'm a glutton for pics! :)

Boss, it looks like I put the tutorial on making a one piece bolster in the wrong place, never was good at following directions. Do you think you could move it? Thanks Deane

8 WIPs so far.... If you can't get one right now, plan for next month or even later.

we will give away $50 gift certificate for your (hopefully favorite) knife making supply house www.USAknifemaker.com

we a shooting for the position of biggest online reference for knife making and related tutorials...

Back