What's your favorite production folder and why?

I love the ZT line of knives. 7-10 knives of unbelievable quality, innovative design and battle tested durability add up to one of the most successful products I've ever sold or had the pleasure to use. They get the job done at a price point that's Grunt ready and Mission capable. Made in the USA

LAWRENCE

Of the ones I've owned: Small Sebbie.

Had one with micarta inlays, double thumb lugs and silver hardware. Loved it, but since I'm such a stupid man I sold it a while back :(

Of the ones I've only handled: Mnandi and a William Henry Lancet. Just beautiful.

I consider the Sebenza to be an outstanding knife but due to it's high end construction, tolerences and price point, I can't place it in the same category as Benchmade, Kershaw or Spyderco, just to name a few.

I like Benchmade knives but I find Spyderco to have the most apropriate philosophy considering that specific category... Basic utility EDC/Tactical knives.

My favorite production knife is the Spyderco Calypso...

Two big ones.

bigcal10.jpg

bigcal11.jpg

bigcal12.jpg

bigcal13.jpg

bigcal14.jpg

And my full non serrated set!

calyfa10.jpg

calyfa11.jpg

What can I say... Great slicers, perfect size and ergos.
Just a winner all the way!

I have three favorites at the moment, but they can often change. The Mantis MTF-4Ti Chaos Folder, because it's built like a tank, S30V, G-10 & titanium, and it was a gift from the owner of the company. The ZT 0350, because it's just cool. And an old school Buck/Strider 881 tanto because it's ATS-34 heat treated by BOS, G-10 and titanium, what's not to like? No pics of the Buck/Strider, but I have one of the other two.

Attachments

• 100_2082.jpg
    100_2082.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 12
  • zt5.jpg
    zt5.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 12
I have three favorites at the moment, but they can often change. The Mantis MTF-4Ti Chaos Folder, because it's built like a tank, S30V, G-10 & titanium, and it was a gift from the owner of the company. The ZT 0350, because it's just cool. And an old school Buck/Strider 881 tanto because it's ATS-34 heat treated by BOS, G-10 and titanium, what's not to like? No pics of the Buck/Strider, but I have one of the other two.

Hey,
I will have to agree with the Mantis knives. I dont have a MT-4ti, but I have a few of the others. the things i like most about Mantis is the warranty, and the personal Treatment given to every customer. I am also a very big Fan of Spyderco knives. I have had many over the course of the years. I use to carry an Endura, or Delica regularly to sea with me on the Submarines I was assigned to.

The Mantis MTF-4Ti Chaos Folder, because it's built like a tank, S30V, G-10 & titanium, and it was a gift from the owner of the company. QUOTE]

I almost got one but I'll be damned, I cannot spend that kind of money on a Taiwan blade. JMO. I probably miss out on alot of fine knives because I like to buy US made knives.

I found one for $130 and after reading their website, I might have to give this one a try. It is a heavy folder though.

Q. How thick are the liners that lock the blade?

Last edited:
The one I've used the most and carry everyday is a Boye colbalt-bladed, Zytel-handled piece that's one of the 'boating knives' without the marlin spike.

It's completely non-ferrous/non-magnetic with the fittings and pocket clip made out of 304 stainless so it basically impervious to any corrosion.

What really makes it 'go' is a re-grind by Tom Krein..... .010 at the edge before sharpening and almost a full height flat-grind instead of the factory saber-grind.

standard.jpg

The Mantis MTF-4Ti Chaos Folder, because it's built like a tank, S30V, G-10 & titanium, and it was a gift from the owner of the company. QUOTE]

I almost got one but I'll be damned, I cannot spend that kind of money on a Taiwan blade. JMO. I probably miss out on alot of fine knives because I like to buy US made knives.

I found one for $130 and after reading their website, I might have to give this one a try. It is a heavy folder though.

Q. How thick are the liners that lock the blade?

I'm not sure of the exact thickness, I have to locate my calipers...... But they are about the same as the ZT 0350, if that helps you at all. (pretty thick) I usually prefer USA made knives as well, but this one is made VERY well. It is made with USA steel at least. Actually I think all Mantis knives are, they ship the steel over there, and they assemble them and ship 'em back.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite production folder is the Tim Galyean Pro Series Junkyard Dawg. It has the best fit and finish and most precise construction of any production knife I've ever seen. It also has IKBS, and it has the strongest detent of any production knife that I've handled, so flipping it open without needing any wrist is effortless. It fits in the hand great, uses a high quality stainless steel (CPM 154) for the blade, and it has both tip up and tip down mounting options for the clip.

1253047628-Galyean_Pro_Series_Junkyard_Dawg_1.jpg

1253047647-Galyean_Pro_Series_Junkyard_Dawg_4.jpg

The second model from the Pro Series line, the Lahar IKBS flipper, is arguably even nicer than the JYD, but it has a hand ground blade, so I consider it a midtech rather than a production piece.

Last edited:
The one I've used the most and carry everyday is a Boye colbalt-bladed, Zytel-handled piece that's one of the 'boating knives' without the marlin spike.

It's completely non-ferrous/non-magnetic with the fittings and pocket clip made out of 304 stainless so it basically impervious to any corrosion.

What really makes it 'go' is a re-grind by Tom Krein..... .010 at the edge before sharpening and almost a full height flat-grind instead of the factory saber-grind.

standard.jpg

I would love to get my hands on a David Boye Production dendritic Cobalt folder. The write ups on those knives are amazing! I keep going through the thread here, and realize I have never had a Chris Reeve Knife in any offering. I have wanted to try the Sebenza, or the Mnandi for ages. Maybe now that I am employed once again, I will have that opportunity.

Just like every other Knife Guy out there, my EDC tends to rotate daily, depending on whether I am working or off, and what I am doing (fishing, hiking, etc.) At work I have to carry a smaller knife and tend to go between a Spyderco Delica and small Sebenza.

However, when I am off for the day and just having a good old time, my favorite knife has to be the Microtech LCC. I have a black bladed, Carbon Fiber handled one, and have yet to find a more comfortable knife made!

Johnny 2thumbs

Strider PT CC or a Remington Bullet Baby Trapper.... love em both , and those two and a Case Sod Buster have been on my person for year or so , every day.

I have had a Benchmade AFCK (Advanced Folding Combat Knife) for about ten years that just plain rocks. Super tight fit, not too bulky or heavy, but still feels like I have a knife it my hand. One of the few I own that I would not trade or sell easily.

I am on my second CRKT McGinnis Summa and it is one of my absolute favorite production knives. 3 3/4" blade that doesn't look like its sole purpose is to cut peoples' heads off, yet manly and capable. The first one I had I traded it used for $150 worth of production knives. I told the guy I paid $40 for it, but he had to have it then and I did not want to part with it!

My Cold Steel folders have always been solid and dependable too. I like the Voyager XL Tanto best.

I'll always have at least a couple of Spydercos in my rotation too.

Last edited:
Along with most folks I lean toward Spyderco. My every day carry is the Military/Law Enforcement partially serrated model. It stands up to heavy everyday use very well.
Another favorite is the seldom seen (or at least I think so, I ain't sure...) Gerber Parabellum. A big ole' folder with a swivel dual carry sheath. Made in USA with a bead blasted blade and pretty tough. I added a "one armed bandit" for one hand opening.

Since last week my Fallkniven PXL IM. Never seen a knife comming out of the box 'that' sharp. 3G steel, HRC 62.
@Ironlath; Take good care of your Parabellum. You are right that they where never seen much. The model is now about 20 years old and where not produced for a long time. They are worth quite a bit of money when kept in mint/excelent condition these days. Still hoping to run into one for a desent price.

Since last week my Fallkniven PXL IM. Never seen a knife comming out of the box 'that' sharp. 3G steel, HRC 62.
@Ironlath; Take good care of your Parabellum. You are right that they where never seen much. The model is now about 20 years old and where not produced for a long time. They are worth quite a bit of money when kept in mint/excelent condition these days. Still hoping to run into one for a desent price.

I do very much like the Parabellum. The blade and handle are pretty much mint, the sheath has slight wear from being attached to a rucksack strap.
I was very lucky with the find of this one, the box was dusty, in a glass case at an old general store in Pinedale WY. I had one prior to this one and the knife and another ruck were pilfered from the back of my pickup in the driveway.

Don't often carry production models anymore, but when I did, my favorite was a William Henry CF T09, light as a feather and tight lockup. Perfect for office setting with sheeples. Now that I am retired, can carry larger and usually great customs by makers on this very forum.

JYD SG II,BM Skirmish,Kershaw Tyrade G10,standard JYD II.
only thing is i've been wanting thumb studs on my JYD's.
i dig framelock folders,or folders with thick liners.love the ZT blades,but don't own any yet.

Last edited:
Only have 3 i usaully carry with me kershaw "needs work" and skyline both feel good in the hand and fold up tight also use a case large sod buster to work on wood and such.

Back