What's the best way to sell knives as a hobbyist, not as a business?

While the emulator does allow posting from computer, it seems like it might work easier for me to post photo from phone, then move to computer for adding comments, etc. I'd love to be able to change to my name, but that seems to already be taken. Perhaps something along the lines of "KenHolland_knifemaker" or something?

I made my first post on IG today using an iPad and the IG app. Bit of a pain on there, but I ended up sending fotos from my computer to the iPad via email and that worked out okay. It'll get easier, I assume... :)

I am going to try syncing the computer and pad next and see if I can grab fotos from the Mac drive through the iPad.

"mkeftz"

While the emulator does allow posting from computer, it seems like it might work easier for me to post photo from phone, then move to computer for adding comments, etc. I'd love to be able to change to my name, but that seems to already be taken. Perhaps something along the lines of "KenHolland_knifemaker" or something?
Ken Holland knives is not taken

Thanks for the info. IG wouldn't allow me to change it since I've changed in the last 14 days. Not sure where it got that, I guess it counted when I signed up yesterday.

I am still new and learning. I gave away my first 15 knives as gifts while I worked out the kinks. Just showing a few folks the progression, they eventually wanted a knife. I sold them to those folks for material cost, so I could make more, and keep improving. This year, people are asking for high end stuff with high end parts. I finished two family heirloom pieces that will see no use, but spent a ton of time on them to get them right. I have several orders now for high dollar pieces with the only agreement being that I get them done this year. I enjoy larger knives with rarer materials. I am super slow, but haven’t needed much more to keep busy. I never dreamed I would be selling 1000 dollar knives, but half the cost is components. If nobody wants one, I dream up something and then someone usually ends up taking it. I haven’t really made any money yet, because I sink any earnings into stock and new tools.

I don’t see any discussion of online sales on ETSY which works for me. Actually I’ve only sold about 10 things there but there’s no hassle about weapons, the transfer to PayPal is fine, and the rates to display there are cheap. Like $.20 (twenty cents) for a few months for each item.

I also do consignment sales which is OK once you find a good seller. Like, I approach a new vendor with a handful of goods for show and tell with a suggested retail price. If they agree I have a simple form with the items listed and the retail prices. Then you return every couple of weeks or month to check inventory, restock, and get paid. This needs to be made clear, in writing at the get-go. This is heavily based on relationship, not faceless internet transactions.

In the consignments world expect to get 60-75% of your expected retail prices and only when the goods sell. In that arrangement you’re exposing yourself so you can keep things small until you really see how things go. I’ve got good vendors and have never been burnt. But, full disclosure, I’m retired, living in Mexico and doing knife work as a hobby. I’m selling at high end gringo stores here and bring a stash of work to my retailers in the US and they send checks when sales happen.

But, full disclosure, I’m retired, living in Mexico and doing knife work as a hobby. I’m selling at high end gringo stores here and bring a stash of work to my retailers in the US and they send checks when sales happen.
Sounds like a pretty well thought out plan!

Back