Whats on the bench?

HHH Knives

Super Moderator
Hey guys I have been working on some kitchen knives!! Heres a few pics of whats on the bench!! :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• Damasteel Gyuto WIP 022.jpg
    Damasteel Gyuto WIP 022.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 16
  • WIP!!! Metiorite and Damasteel Gyuto 015.jpg
    WIP!!! Metiorite and Damasteel Gyuto 015.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 41
  • WIP!!! Metiorite and Damasteel Gyuto 025.jpg
    WIP!!! Metiorite and Damasteel Gyuto 025.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Damasteel Gyuto WIP 020.jpg
    Damasteel Gyuto WIP 020.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 137
I think you ought to throw that junk in the trash....out front of the shop....along the road....say, about 6:30 ish....

Rough calloused hands, black grit fingernails, tired feet and sweat dripping from your nose.
A deep ache in your neck and lower back, blood drops on the floor, and a muscle twitch in your eye.

Intense heat, showers of sparks, red glowing steel; a phone in your ear, a file in your hand and a cold plate of food.

This is the love affair we have with knife making.

Blessings,
Eric

Looks great Randy.
Wish I could say I had something on the bench.I have everything set back up
to start making,I've been in the shop every day,I just can't get this hand
to start working,kinda depressing,but I know I'll get there.

God bless,Keith

Looks like you are off to a great start this year!

I just chuckled to myself! When I started making Culinary Knives! "Kitchen" Knives about 15 years ago, I remember being scoffed at that! Who would buy those? The don't look scary enough!
This coment was by a man that's claim to fame was he wrote the dialogue for the movie Rambo 4 or 5? The one in Afghanistan?

It's great to see so many other makers realizing and refining the Culinary knife arts!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Randy
Looks like you have been busy!! Great designs, and amazing damascus!
Cant wait to see them finished!!!!

Would really like to know how your doing the damascus bolsters. Hidden pins??

God Bless
Mike

I just finished grinding the 9 knives for the 3, 3 piece sets! Whats a PITA, stainless steel sucks to grind after HT. lolol :)

Thanks guys for posting and taking a look :)

God Bless
Randy

I just finished grinding the 9 knives for the 3, 3 piece sets! Whats a PITA, stainless steel sucks to grind after HT. lolol :)

Thanks guys for posting and taking a look :)

God Bless
Randy

Stainless is a pain to grind, Use New Sharp Ceramic belts when possible.
For 90% plus of the people out there Stainless it's the steel to use!
The lowest Chromite Steel I will use on a Culinary knife is CPM-D2.

Most people around were I am just don't or won't take the care of their knives that a Carbon/Damascus steel requires.

Great work!
Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com

Randy remember the last time we talked on phone lol and that was 1/8 inch d-2 and that sucked so i can feel your pain ha ha ha !!!!!

LOL. Im gona need therapy after that abusive remark Mike..

Actually I learned from this. I just ground out a couple other blades in stainless. and had no problems. Call it growing pains.

I like 440c Its good steel! :D

were you going for therapy? i am right behind you randy lol, well as long as mikes paying ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That 440v is all hard. yes it is vanadium. You grind it finished then heat treat it and then cry over all the scratches that show up after you are finished. Heck a couple of ceramics is all it takes to grind a 3 inch blade. Ha

Randy all fun aside those are some fantastic blades you have been putting out. Your JR. sure has been making some superb steel.

Last edited:
Randy, Those are going to be some nice kitchen knives and I'd bet they will stay sharper than most of the other knives in the drawer. Dan

So far. I have only actually ground out a few stainless steels for my knives. I am sort of wading in, rather then jumping in with both feet. :)

Grinding the steel is not a problem when its annealed. Its a little sticky feeling on the belts in comparison to carbon I have used. Its when its hard that the stuff laughs at me and my 50G ceramic belts! WA HA HA..

Thanks guys for the info and advise! This is the BEST forum on the new for sharing ideas and info. You guys ROCK!

God Bless
Randy

Dont worry mike we still love ya bla did i just say that must be the therapy lol, yes sir randy were could we all have this much fun
and still learn something? Grrrrreatttttt looking blade big R. Cant wait to the next!

Back