What's going on in your shop?

That looks amazing, still have no clue how you manage that! Reminds me somewhat of JB Blades knives where he carves veins in them! Check out this piece... You can see the carving he does, similar to yours just more involved I suppose. Yours looks killer though on that one you finished recently!

i-WWJ8FsR.png
It is roughed in to 60 grit with a 5/8 wheel as carefully as I can, then the radius’s are carved into the plunges with carbide burrs and round stones in a dremel. Then it is shaped from that point on using hones, a multitude of sanding blocks, and lots of elbow grease. I constantly go over it with a micrometer to check that everything is properly curved throughout the concave portion and “flat” lengthwise. It is a LOT of work. There’s probably an easier way, but I kind of like doing stuff like that by hand.
Edit: I forgot the part about heat treat. After sanding to 120 grit lengthwise, I heat treated it. I left everything pretty thick to account for warpage, so most of the hand work is on hardened steel too. Makes it extra fun lol

Edwards, grinds look really nice!! Do yourself a favor...get a radius platen!! You can do the shallow hollow grinds with them a lot easier than how you are doing them now without having to buy a large diameter contact wheel! I have a 36 Radius platen from AmeriBrade, they have a 24" one as well. Lots of places are making them now too and really help with these types of grinds! You can get them nice and crisp, but I blend mine into the grinds for a more subtle look. I keep the choil area full thickness for more comfort on the fingers.
k tip mc s grind.jpgHHH S.jpgs hollow.jpg

Edwards, grinds look really nice!! Do yourself a favor...get a radius platen!! You can do the shallow hollow grinds with them a lot easier than how you are doing them now without having to buy a large diameter contact wheel! I have a 36 Radius platen from AmeriBrade, they have a 24" one as well. Lots of places are making them now too and really help with these types of grinds! You can get them nice and crisp, but I blend mine into the grinds for a more subtle look. I keep the choil area full thickness for more comfort on the fingers.
View attachment 83612View attachment 83613View attachment 83614
I have a 36” radius platen. The reason I’m doing it this way is I want that super thick spine by the handle so it’s comfortable on the finger. I can’t do that with a radius platen without making the knife excessively heavy. That’s a purdy grind you have there!

Thank you. It is giraffe bone. I really like working with it. Horse leather is easy to work with- at least for me. The texture is more dense and takes finishing well.

I didn’t know much about it but I’m educating myself. It is more abrasion resistant but doesn’t come in heavy ounces like cowhide. It also comes in hard rolls and soft rolls. This is the second sheath I’ve made with it - just to see how I like it.
I will most likely use it again.

Thank you. It is giraffe bone. I really like working with it. Horse leather is easy to work with- at least for me. The texture is more dense and takes finishing well.

I didn’t know much about it but I’m educating myself. It is more abrasion resistant but doesn’t come in heavy ounces like cowhide. It also comes in hard rolls and soft rolls. This is the second sheath I’ve made with it - just to see how I like it.
I will most likely use it again.
Do you get the giraffe bone already dyed, or do it yourself? I've been playing around with dying giraffe bone and haven't settled on a consistent method yet. It is a really cool material to work with. I love the aged look with all the lines and cracks.

For what it's worth, my experience with horse hide is as follows. It is tough but, you have to be careful when wet molding. It doesn't stretch like cowhide. You want to make sure the knife will slide in and out freely before it dries.

Do you get the giraffe bone already dyed, or do it yourself? I've been playing around with dying giraffe bone and haven't settled on a consistent method yet. It is a really cool material to work with. I love the aged look with all the lines and cracks.
I purchased the bone from Jantz supply. I haven’t been disappointed

For what it's worth, my experience with horse hide is as follows. It is tough but, you have to be careful when wet molding. It doesn't stretch like cowhide. You want to make sure the knife will slide in and out freely before it dries.
That’s right. I wouldn’t recommend wet molding horse hide. Use cow hide for that. This knife is on the slender side with the giraffe bone handle. One of the reasons I chose horse hide. The fit is perfect.

Back