What's going on in your shop?

I decided to try a ‘one side flat’ oyster knife. Can’t decide if I want to go this route with all the knives. It’s certainly less time per blade.
View attachment 81674View attachment 81675
Now all you need to do is try each style on some oysters to see which you like better, lightly roasted over an open fire, with some drawn butter and lemon and just a splash of hot sauce... now I'm getting hunger.

I decided to try a ‘one side flat’ oyster knife. Can’t decide if I want to go this route with all the knives. It’s certainly less time per blade.

Not sure about function, but I think the doublesided looks better. That way no matter what side you hold up you get to see the bevels

Leave off the hot sauce and I'm ready for those. Those won't be a good test of oyster knives since they open so easy, need live oysters for a good test.
Back in the day I would eat raw oysters but with the pollution and possible nasty after effects I only eat oysters that are steam, baked or fire roasted.

Now all you need to do is try each style on some oysters to see which you like better, lightly roasted over an open fire, with some drawn butter and lemon and just a splash of hot sauce... now I'm getting hunger.
I agree with your test method. I like to put mine on a club cracker after the butter and hot sauce.

Nice oyster knives opaul, I agree with the double bevel. watch the thickness and heat treat too, I've seen them break before.
I used to have a friend in Ceder Key Fl. that was an oyster man. when I went there to hunt I'd stop by and see him and order a bushel, the next day I'd be waiting at his dock as he brought in a boat load. he'd give me a #60 sack for $20.00. I always but them on the grill, roasted till they poped open then a splash of hot sauce. that was 25-30 years ago. they do farm raised cherry clams in those parts now.

I tried a "eat 10 dozen, get your name on the wall" in New Orleans years ago, I put down six and was finished, those were the biggest friggin oysters I've ever seen.

Did up another pizza cutter in walnut handle scales. Customer wanted the handle thinner for his wife who has tiny hands, so I had to thin the disc down, re grind it and make a smaller handle:
PCW2.jpg
PCW.jpg

Did up one in Snakewood (solid block, no spacer) and one in Red, White, Blue acrylic with a red G10 spacer down the middle:
SW2.jpg
SW1.jpg
RWB2.jpg
RWB1.jpg

And worked on a 210mm K tip S Grind gyuto in handrub Magnacut!
k tip S Magnacut.jpg

Some cutting videos with Rutabaga, sweet potato and Russet tomatoes:

Thanks! They are a fun project and I have some ideas to make them a bit simpler down the road. Hardest part of finding a wide bar of damascus to do them. I want to do some with stainless steel and just etch the pattern on it.

Thanks! They are a fun project and I have some ideas to make them a bit simpler down the road. Hardest part of finding a wide bar of damascus to do them. I want to do some with stainless steel and just etch the pattern on it.
That’s a great idea. There is a place near me that does computer engravings. They can do some neat patterns.

Back