What's going on in your shop?

Worked on antiquing the fittings and guard. It took a nice patina. I’ll probably leave the steel spacer alone.

Attachments

• 07BB0167-0F89-4EFA-9A09-436D7A127B32.jpeg
    07BB0167-0F89-4EFA-9A09-436D7A127B32.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 1B16E14A-FA91-4D34-A85A-93670C09970E.jpeg
    1B16E14A-FA91-4D34-A85A-93670C09970E.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 83037B43-E6A4-44D7-AAB0-86458F93ABE2.jpeg
    83037B43-E6A4-44D7-AAB0-86458F93ABE2.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 26
What process did you use? I just recently cold blued a brass bolster and I think it came out pretty good.
I basically fumigate it in a plastic container with ammonia. The pieces are suspended above the ammonia (in this case on a small G10 platform). I spray them with a little ammonia and sprinkle sea salt over them. Then watch and wait. Rinse and wipe off excess when the finish is where I want it. I plan to wax them too. There was originally more green on them, so I might try again see if I can keep it from completely wiping off.

Finally got out in the shop for something other than clean up. I have a drop point in 1075 that I'm attempting to do my first hamon with.

My clay doesn't appear to have the same consistency that I've seen on other hamon knives. I hope it isn't too thick. I'm letting it dry and planning on hardening and tempering it tonight. Unless someone thinks I've got a problem with the clay.

I also have a Chef knife that is almost done. However I'm keeping it for myself. There are some small gaps in the handle where the epoxy didn't fill in completely.

Finished this one up this morning. My makers stamp is wearing on one side. I try really hard to get it positioned just right but this is the typical mark imprint. I’m going to order one a little larger with just my last name.
F974E9E8-6EDC-40DF-AAAB-1EBA260418BF.jpegD5336632-E72B-4ACF-A1CC-2DA9AFD0598C.jpeg

Nice one, OPaul.. Interesting blade shape - I just completed one very similar and haven't decided if I like it yet. Gonna have to live with it for awhile.
Thanks! I know what you mean. I’ve tweaked this blade from it’s original shape several times and finally settled on this last touch up.

S35VN boning knife, around 6" blade, G10 Camo SureTouch handles with oeange g10 pins:
20220923_171904.jpg20220923_171916.jpg

Mega chopper with 2 handed handle. Buddy wanted something like the Tops Storm Vector. 8670 forged to shape, 12" cutting edge, full flat grind with some convexing. Camo G10 Suretouch handles, 1/4" stainless pins and 5/16" lanyard tube. Acid etched the blade and did some jimping along the spine. Kydex sheath has a Molle clip for a 1.5" belt.

20220923_164446.jpg
20220923_182736.jpg

Hey fitzo.
A machinist friend and I dismantled an 800 pound surface grinder and humped it into my basement, where it will be when I die.
At least you have the sense to keep it on the ground floor.
So this sg in your basement. Are you going to run 2x72 belts???? If so what are you going to run for a contact wheel. MY REASON.
I just aquired a boyer shultz sg. Now i have to degrease and clean. Then i want to add contact wheel and belt attachment.
So any info you might want to share would b very appreciated.
Please stay in touch. Aikenblades.

Hey fitzo.

So this sg in your basement. Are you going to run 2x72 belts???? If so what are you going to run for a contact wheel. MY REASON.
I just aquired a boyer shultz sg. Now i have to degrease and clean. Then i want to add contact wheel and belt attachment.
So any info you might want to share would b very appreciated.
Please stay in touch. Aikenblades.

I never converted mine to belts. The idea was relatively new in the wild about the time I got sick and had to quit knives. I had hopes of buying a commercial unit as Bertie Rietveld was selling them and his then-exotic bright yellow polyurethane hi-durometer wheels.
Unfortunately that was 20 years ago and I never got it changed over.

Nowadays my plan is to keep my SG a stone wheel machine and get one of these surface grinder attachments that will fit my KMGs.

There are some folks around who have converted SGs, though, so hopefully they will speak up and offer some insight as you get your new acquisition set up. Keep us up to date!

I would think a real SG that was converted to 2X72 belts would have the same issues as the SGA we've built. Need a really hard duro wheel, or perhaps even better a precision ground aluminum wheel to prevent a wavy finish, and tapering at ends. Wihen I worked with stone wheels on a "real" SG I could hold a tenth of a thou just fine, but with my SGA and belts I normally expect 1 to 2 thou range. Best I even got was <0.001". I posted some photos someplace showing mic reading of that blade.

Stone wheels for a SG are pretty expensive and when you're hold tight tolerances it's slow work.

Back