What's going on in your shop?

And with You-tube most of the hacks are figured out...

Great point. As well as the “things to look for / initial setup” information.

primarily, the electrical connections and laser alignment are half-assed. They put as little labor into the machine’s build as humanly possible. But it’s all there.

e3IBIa3.jpg

Kitchen knife I'm making for my wife for our Anniversary which is like Tuesday so hope I can finish it this weekend!

Sorry! I missed your question earlier.

For thin materials, yes. The first mod you’ll do is to take out the bed and give yourself much more room in the z-axis to fit bulkier materials. I use a $30 lab jack (scissor lift) with a sheet metal pan as my bed for infinite height adjustment. The laser lens focuses best between 1-7/8” and 2-1/8 inches.

Like all things Chinese, it’s best to think of it as a “kit” when you get it, and that’s why the price point is where it is. It takes a couple of hours to set it up but it’s child’s play to get it going.

I’ll say it like this- the cost/value of this machine is incredible. Modifying the machine is stupid simple. For $400 and some elbow grease you’ve got a machine that will run neck and neck with a $5,000 machine. The only obstacle being the limitation of the bed size (9x13 inches) and I’m working on a way to get around that. The $5,000 machines have much more capacity size wise.)
Thanks John. I like to tinker with things so it sounds like it’s right up my alley. Much appreciated!!

i have a 40W ebay one! I bought it to do my makers mark. The wood engraving jobs just fell in my lap.
Have you tried any antler or bone? I wanted to try some laser scrimshaw on bone. And, what will it do with micarta or g10? Kydex? I've been daydreaming about all kinds of stuff.

Have you tried any antler or bone? I wanted to try some laser scrimshaw on bone. And, what will it do with micarta or g10? Kydex? I've been daydreaming about all kinds of stuff.

I’ve only had mine up and running for a couple of weeks. So far, I’ve done metal marking, wood engraving and cutting. I haven’t tried kydex (yet) or other synthetic materials because the potential for releasing harmful gases.

My machine is currently set up inside the house. When it gets relocated to the shop I won’t worry so much about gases because I can wear a repirator and set up a much better venting system.

Was experimenting with some different lamination stuff. This is not San Mai. You can probably tell since it continues through the tang. Little hidden tang neck knife. Just gotta do the guard and handle now.

Edit: CruForge V at the edge. 4140 towards the spine with a piece of nickel in between.

20190224_152536_crop_604x756.jpg

Last edited:
Time to dust off the engraver.
Practice plates. I have a long way to go before I'll feel good enough to put something on a knife.

IMG_4453.jpg

I use a Lindsay classic airgraver and Omano microscope.
IMG_4416.jpg

I am grabbing scroll art from the net and printing it onto silicone coated paper sheets.
Using Damar varnish and Zippo lighter fluid in 1 to 4 mix, I coat the metal and let if dry to a light tack. Then the transfer is placed on the metal and burnished in. The pattern stays in place long enough to get the outlines done. After that the shading lines are mostly gone so you have to go with the force and fill them in where you want.
IMG_4454.jpg

I keep my setup in my office.
IMG_4455.jpg

Time to dust off the engraver.
Practice plates. I have a long way to go before I'll feel good enough to put something on a knife.

View attachment 67779

I use a Lindsay classic airgraver and Omano microscope.
View attachment 67780

I am grabbing scroll art from the net and printing it onto silicone coated paper sheets.
Using Damar varnish and Zippo lighter fluid in 1 to 4 mix, I coat the metal and let if dry to a light tack. Then the transfer is placed on the metal and burnished in. The pattern stays in place long enough to get the outlines done. After that the shading lines are mostly gone so you have to go with the force and fill them in where you want.
View attachment 67781

I keep my setup in my office.
View attachment 67782
That's awesome!! I'm very interested in learning to engrave but don't feel I have enough talent at drawing. I'd like to take a workshop somewhere to try it out. Your practice piece is very nice! Keep posting your work. Thanks!!!

Back