what thickness washers for framelock/linerlock

John Barker

SUPERModerator & KNIFE MAKER
I've been working on some folder designs and getting all my equipment and supplies. One question I've been thinking about is washer thickness. I know that the detent ball needs to be exposed the same amount as the washer thickness, but what thickness is ideal for a good detent using a 1/16" detent ball. I was thinking if the washer was too thin then you don't get enough of the ball sticking up and you may have a little play with the blade closed or the detent wouldn't be strong enough to hold the blade closed. Thanks.
-John

John, I use .010" phosphor bronze washers, they work well, they are also consistent in thickness. Dan

I use the .010 bronze as well with the 1/16 detent. If the detent is to high you can tap it down a bit just don't whale it in the first time that way you can adjust the height of the detent to match your washer.
Steve

I just use a washer and out it around the hole, drop the ball into it and press it down flush with the washer setting the gap. Perfect every time. :)

For whatever it's worth, I use my drill press with a pin in the chuck to press the ball in place. I feel a bit more in control than when using a hammer, Dan

Chuck ,
I start the ball with hammer & nail set then finalize with micrometer. I wouldn't use my best micrometer but I've been using a $30 one from MSC for the past 2 yrs , Works great !

Back